PDA

View Full Version : Spots!

Bill
24-06-08, 04:56
I was thinking this evening about why we find it so difficult to cope with stress in our daily lives.

I should think most people who suffer from anxiety are born with a sensitive nature although I should think anxiety can also affect the most confident of people who suffer a trauma.

According to my mother, when I was born I hated being left on my own and I craved affection but my mother tells me she didn't want to mother me, and in truth I can't remember hugs or cuddles although I felt happy as I know I was loved.

My main problems though surfaced in my teens. My brothers and sister left home by the time I was 12 and so from a crowded house, I spent long periods alone...the thing I'd always hated most!

I can also remember how my parents would do things for me because they wanted to look after me but I feel as a result I wasn't allowed to build any confidence in my own abilities.

Also in my teens I lost a good school friend which I know deeply affected me because from there health anxiety became a real problem for me.

However, this evening I began to remember one particular aspect of my past how teenage spots affected me. They were really bad and went on for years, even to a much less degree in the present, but due to my sensitive nature, I became very self-conscious. I was already very quiet and shy but spots totally destroyed the little confidence I had. I wanted to put a bag over my head and not go out as I couldn't look at people.

I used to use a medicated cover stick but sometimes I went to extremes to find cosmetics to hide them, even ladies skin coloured make-up using something that was shaped like lipstick to hide the spots! I was just so desperate to hide them.

Of course I couldn't speak to girls. I was too shy already but spots made me hide away. I used to envy friends who had girlfriends and I used to dream of simply holding a girls hand. It was only when I was in my twenties that I met my first girlfriend but it never became serious. The only serious girlfriend I've only ever had and been with before I got married was my wife. When I think back, spots ruined my teenage years and denied me lots of the things good looking friends had.

As I say, spots destroyed the little confidence I had. They affected both my personal and early working life because I couldn't open up to people. It took me years to overcome my shyness.

Eventually though as I grew older, I did manage to open up, talk to colleagues, hold meetings and train people but I didn't enjoy my job and when pressures became too great at home and at work, my confidence sank again like a stone. That was the beginning of my bad spell when self harming and od's took hold but gradually I pulled myself through it and now cope much better.

So going back to where I began, I think we're born with a sensitive nature and as we grow older we are knocked by events and how people treat us so that we develop "a severe lack of confidence" both in our thinking patterns and in our abilities which is why we have so much trouble with self-doubts and worries.

Finding a job we enjoy can really help but if we have no confidence in ourselves, no matter what we do, we will find life difficult to cope with so we'll be more likely to suffer from stress.

I feel we tend to put bad events in the past into boxes because we don't know how to deal with the feelings they produce so the boxes need to be opened to enable us to come to terms with them. In doing so, I think it helps us to create a better understanding of ourselves to enable us to move forward. I feel insight then helps us to build self-confidence in the way we think by changing negative thoughts to positive thoughts and to build self-confidence in our own abilities by proving to ourselves how capable we really are because I feel building self-confidence is the key to coping with stress and anxiety. :hugs:

pooh
24-06-08, 06:52
Bill

It's 6:52 and I want to reply but I also have to get ready for work. It'll have to be later.

Pooh x

milly jones
24-06-08, 08:07
hi bill

again my friend u understand.

my self confidence is at rock bottom, though i do think my self esteem is improving thanks to nmp

i have loads of boxes, hundreds of them, each locked away from anyone seeing. i am trying very hard with my therapy to find the key and take a peek but its a painful process. so many events that i block out and try to erase, but the box is there with its neat little label, to ensure it still haunts me with its title.

hopefully once ive relaxed and started to explore my boxes my confidence will start to flow back, i dont know though. at the moment it seems like it gone for good, lol

any way bill, thanks for giving me my daily thought, keep posting

mill xx

mumof2
24-06-08, 12:04
Like you, spots played a huge role in my life and would go as far to say affected the path it took. I had bad skin on and off from my teens right up to my mid thirties (am 40 now). For many years they dominated my thoughts. I'm a very shy person and the spots made me 10 times worse. I even believe I would have had kids younger than I did if it wasn't for my skin - the drugs I was on for my skin couldn't be taken if you wanted to get pregnant and I couldn't bear to come off them :-( Ironically, when I did have kids it cured my acne (something to do with hormones I think). Ironically, I now have near perfect skin but I still suffer from anxiety - I believe its just my personality and I'll always be an anxious type no matter how "perfect" my life becomes.

To back my last statement up I will give my sister as an example. Her skin was like mine, in fact at times it was much much worse. Did it ruin her life? Not at all! She's a total different type to me - extemely confident, laid back - doesn't give a monkeys what anyone thinks. Even when her skin was at its very worse (and it was BAD) she had a hectic social life and loads of friends. I often used to think "if I had that many spots I wouldn't be going out like she does."

Her spots have gone too and she now faces many of the same issues that are stressing me at the moment eg. juggling work and 2 small kids, money, not having enough hours in the day etc etc. In fact, I'd say her life is MORE stressful than mine, she's currently going thru a big court case at the moment. Yes, she admits she sometimes knackered but is she suffering from anxiety? No way! When I told her I was on tablets she was shocked and her response was "why??????????"

So I guess we all boil at different degrees..................................

Coni
25-06-08, 20:02
Hi Bill, I feel as if Ive felt stressed my whole life lol! In recent years I did put it down to my job, but having changed jobs and places of work as well as colleagues I now realise the problem is me, not those around me.

Strangely now work is most of the time the one thing that keeps me sane and stops me from 'thinking', otherwise Id drive myself mad with anxious thoughts (at one point several months ago I thought Id have to work seven days a week just to escape the torment going on in my head).

Also at work its easier to pretend...I assume a role, like putting on a uniform (though I no longer actually wear one) but its when the real me slips through that I have real problems....and I seem to spend my whole life waiting to be 'found out'....I have the horrors that one day they will all see how uselss/pathetic I really am (I know that probably sounds quite mad but its the only way I can describe it)...I am in the process of opening some of those boxes, but even that I am finding really difficult...like some of them have been so tightly shut its scary to even think of looking....and at the end of the day what if it is just me thats so very very wrong and there is no reason for any of this.

I do agree that self confidence is probably the key, but its also something that seems to be very evasive (or is that just me?)....I once posted when I first joined asking how you learn to like yourself (or even accept yourself) and I still havent found the answer to that....no matter how much I pretend, the negative thoughts seem to win through eventually....its like all the negativity is real and the rest is really just pretence.

Sorry if none of this makes sense or if its a bit off topic

luv Coni XX

Bill
26-06-08, 04:14
Thank you for the interesting replies.:hugs:

Coni,

I'd suggest you write down all the good things you achieve each day, be honest about all the good points about yourself without overlooking them! and try looking at yourself in the mirror through the eyes of people who love you rather than your own.......then try believing that all those things are True of you but for all your life you've been denying.:hugs:

If I list them for you, I know you won't believe me. You need to tell yourself to convince yourself.

I doubt Very Much if anyone would consider you useless or pathetic...Ever...because they will only see the good in you and all you do Every day that you can't see. Why should "I" or anyone else think those things of you? Give me one Good reason because feeling stressed all your life Isn't one so I Refuse to believe you!:hugs:

There is no More Kind and Caring person than a Sensitive person who suffers from anxiety......so I'd Never want them to be anything other than what makes them Who they are so nor could I ever think the bad things they think of themselves.........including of you Coni because I can only see the Good in You!:bighug1: