PDA

View Full Version : Flying in a week...here we go!

Gryphoenix
25-06-08, 06:39
I haven't flown yet ever since I started having PAs and Anx, and I'm not sure how I'm gonna handle it!

Does anyone have any good flying tips for nervous people?

Actually I've flown a lot in my entire 22 years of life, some REALLY long flights (try Japan to the east coast) that wore on my nerves even before I had anx.

I've had exciting flights, boring flights, fun flights, short flights, painful ear popping flights, and flights where I had to go to the bathroom really badly but couldn't until we landed and that was 40 minutes later (curse you Atlanta hub!), and of course, scary flights. I haven't flown since...hm, probably June 2006, and I started having PAs that Dec, I think.

And yeah, on every flight I still got nervous even before my anx, I hate, hate, HATE taking off but I really like landing (cause it's over yay!)

Anyway this is the first time I'm flying by myself too, so I'm a little nervous about that naturally. I hope I don't botch things up and get on the wrong plane or something! I haven't done something this major by myself EVER so I'm really nervous about doing things correctly.

That one's only about an hour flight, then I'm hanging out with my aunt the rest of the day and we're flying out together that afternoon/evening. It's a much longer flight (7 hours?) and I think there's a stopover, which I loathe even without anx. So I think it's a total of about six flights that I'm taking next week, there and back. Also I feel really anxious when I get tired and I really don't know how tired I will be on this day and I'm kinda worried that if I'm tired I won't be able to cope as I usually do.

So...I really don't want to get that horrible claustrophobic feeling I get on elevators that cause my PAs, does anyone have any tips for that? They don't have rescue remedy in the states where I am and I don't take medicine for anx.

Meltdown
25-06-08, 07:38
Yeah it's my last big hurdle!

I trip for work which I was dreading has been put back until September, and I'm really pleased!

It's not just the flying, which I have always found exiting, but the being enclosed. You can hardly get out and go for a walk, can you !!!

Still I've always been alright once I'm on the plane and sitting down.

Good luck with your flight. I'm sure it will be fine!

Rexzooly
25-06-08, 10:13
From what you said you just need to keep your self busy and happy in the flight maybe take a titalting book or come nice music or maybe thay will have a funny in flight move just try and make your self feel at home :)

Hugs and good luckys hope it all goes well for you.

weeble40
25-06-08, 10:49
Hi I am also flying off on holiday next week, and just wishing i could be knocked out from leaving home to been at the hotel, I hate it, HATE IT!!!!!!!
any advice or tips greatly recived, I dont take any meds so alcohol my only option lol

Emma xxxx

Rexzooly
25-06-08, 10:55
Really just keep your mind busy lol i would say its like geting on a bus but
i am one of thee that can fly but gets car sick or bus sick if i don't keep a eye on where the car/bus is going but ya do something to keep your mind busy i say the titalating book would be the ideal think as you have to read and make up the pictuers in your own head i don't know maybe Hugs to you both

Rex xx (Huggles) xx

Gryphoenix
01-07-08, 16:49
Thanks for the advice guys. :D

I guess its' really just a mind game, that's all it is. Still, I hope the plane is a big one, I really detest the little ones. I'm not sure whether to get a window or aisle seat either...cause I'm going by myself so I can't just climb over family members like I usually do to get to the bathroom--I sometimes get a bit of tummy trouble cause I get so excited lol...XD In fact my tummy's churning already...well I'd rather have my anxiety manifest down there rather than up in my chest where I get all tense and scared, at least I can 'release' the anxiety lol. XD

mlondon
04-07-08, 11:22
I am flying in a couple of hours, I am equipped with Valium which I am going to try not to take, my diary to write and doodle in, a book on anxiety and a general book to read. Whenever I fly I treat myself so I am going to stock up on magazines and nice food at the airport. Anything to keep me occupied.

Gryphoenix
10-07-08, 05:08
Guess what?

I DID IT with not even an inkling of a PA! I wasn't very anxious at all and quite comfortable on the plane. The bumps of course ticked me off but other than that I didn't feel claustrophobic at all! I can't believe it! O_o

TheOriginal_BIRD
10-07-08, 12:33
HEYYY :D
im flying next week too..wednesday morning..:)
last year i was VERY bad with this..almost didnt go on holiday..but my advice is to pack before so that stress is out of the way..get some sleep, keep yourself calm, and if you have enough time go to the doctors and ask about 'diazepam'
it ook on eof the tablets before the flight...theyre magic :yesyes:
good luck :hugs: be thinking of you..
im in the 'same boat' hhere :flowers: xx