PDA

View Full Version : Waking up in panic

liam1412
25-06-08, 12:45
I have just started taking citalopram for the 2nd time and yesterday was my second day. Last night every time I was dropping off I awoke suddenly feeling like my heart and stopped and gasping for air. It scared me a little TBH. Eventually I fell asleep and slept well all night. As anyone else had this and is there a reason for it.

medbury27
25-06-08, 13:01
Hi

I am taking Citalopram 10mg (i was really ill on 20mg)for 2weeks my anxiety has heightened and my mood hasn't lifted yet they say 2-4 weeks but that seems like a lifetime at mo. I have been told that it can make your symptoms worse for a while then they settle down.

Hope you soon feel better.

Snowshadow
25-06-08, 23:57
I was on citalopram and it was amazing for anxiety/panic. Unfortunately some medications can cause anxiety the first couple of weeks... but it never hurts to talk to your doctor about it or your pharmacist. When I start a new medication, it seems I wake up with panic attacks for the first while.. and sadly it does take time for these meds to really start working. But SO worth it when they do :)

Grumpy_guts
26-06-08, 21:10
Do you take the Citalopram before bed? When I was taking them, my doctor advised me to do this as I had sleep disruption problems but I found taking the medication late at night actually made things much worse!

I switched to taking it first thing in the morning and everything stabilised pretty quickly after that.

milly jones
27-06-08, 15:05
hi liam

i get pas in the night, and am taking citalopram to control them. they are doing really well and im sleeping right thru now after 3 months of taking them.

the others are right the initial effects can increase anx initially until the meds settle.

i also was told to take mine in the mornings

love milly xxx

Adz84
27-06-08, 21:16
hey, i get the same thing happen to me. it's really not good. the worst night i had was the 3rd day on citalopram. i read that a lot of people take them in the morning and this seems to have settled it. i nearly had it happen last night but managed to control it. really suggest taking it in the morning :)

liam1412
28-06-08, 01:14
I had been taking them in the morning bit today I forgot and so have taken it tonight and will now switch to night to avoid overtaking them. lets see how it goes!. I have had a drink tonight as well. Not so much that I am wasted but enough to tell I have had one. Hope this isn't gonna affect things too much. I just thought thats what I normally do on a friday and if I don't im letting it win