PDA

View Full Version : Its a touchy subject..

TheOriginal_BIRD
25-06-08, 21:05
Okay so last year was the ultimate LOW for me
i hope i never have to go through feeling like that again..

for almost the whole year i was severely depressed, my CBT councellor thought i was going to kill myself..it was strange hearing her talk to me about that..i felt like i wasnt me..
im a bubbly, happy, outgoing person but last year just took all of it away..i was existing..not living..

i stayed in the house every day, found it hard to do simple things like go to the shops..infact so hard, i wouldnt do it! :shrug:

i feel sometimes people take the piss..:whistles:
like just because i wasnt ILL physically, i think my friends just look at me like im weak, and that i make excuses..and that im feeling sorry for myself..they never listen..they never want to listen to me..ive learnt now to keep it bottled up..
:weep: apart from on here to you guys:hugs: [obviously!]

the other day a guy i know said to me [he knows i was ill last year]
"get over yourself, if that was me id have taken that with a pinch of salt and got on with my life, it couldnt have been that hard, stop crying over yourself and smile and leave the sympathy for people who deserve it.."

which i thought was a bit harsh??
i feel now like its a 'taboo' subject..and that i cant talk about it, because people think im simply feeling sorry for myself or having a moan about what they think is completely nothing..

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :weep:

:hugs: :hugs: love you all :hugs: :hugs:

kaz79
25-06-08, 21:15
Thats the thing with mental illness. Because people cant SEE you are ill they just dont believe you are.
Forget what that guy said. We all know how debilitating depression and anxiety can be. He is just ignorant. Glad to hear you are a bit better now:yesyes: :hugs:

TheOriginal_BIRD
25-06-08, 21:22
thankyou Kaz =] *hugss*

kimmy
25-06-08, 22:18
Unfortunatly the stigma of mental health is a very tabboo subject. becuase people cant see your brain, why of course would it get ill??? Its arrogance and low IQ that see it this way. I had a best friend of 16years who was training to be a nurse, she knew I was so depressed about my anxiety and panics (but I covered it well) she said she thought I was playing on it and I needed to get over it!! wtf needless to say mate, were not friends anymore. b*****s to people like that I say, who needs friends like that :D

This post has been automatically edited by the NMP post filter

kezza08
25-06-08, 22:58
hiya m8,
i compleatly understand where ur cummin from my(so called m8s) always say i make excusses if only they really new hay!
but its also hard to explain when people ask u wats actually the matter with u! u feel even worse cuz u sound like a idiot tryin to explain, it just all comes out so wrong
xxx

lilly-lou
26-06-08, 08:55
hi,

It is really sad in this day and age how we can still be treated with so little respect just because our illness can't be seen, I wounder how these same people would feel themselves if they suffered debilitating symptoms on a daily basis that leave you so physically and emotionally drained it's almost impossible to function? I wish it was as easy as pulling yourself together, or get over yourself, these people are not worth worrying about but we do, and there harsh words only add to our feelings of isolation, ignorant and arrogant pigs without an ounce of compassion in their bodies, in my opinion they don't deserve kind sensitive people like us in their lives, we are the stronger ones

HeatherMc
26-06-08, 11:12
Hiya Original Bird
:hugs:

First of all are you a lot better now, I think I saw pictures of you with your Car on the success forum.

You are right when you say people say pull yourself together, my partner tells me to cheer up :huh: and be happy! This annoys me because if I saw someone with a severed artery I would not tell them to go clean it and put on a plaster! I hate feeling like this, I am experiencing really bad mornings and things seem to ease up as the day goes on, I can feel quite normal in the evenings, I just want to get back to normal (if I can remember what that feels like). Believe me this indifference and plain hostility towards mental illness is very common especially in the mental illness field, its all wrong nobody whom attends cardiac clinics or the like get treated like this, you wouldn't tell someome with a bad heart to pull themselves together!

At least we have each other on here (thank gawd!):flowers:

love to all

Heather

:bighug1:

Franz
26-06-08, 11:33
As an example of people being unable to sympathise with anxiety... I studied languages at university and got in a real panic before my year abroad, during which I was going to be a teaching assistant in a German school. I phoned my parents and vented my worry and my dad said, "You've got to be harder on yourself." My dad is a very kind and intelligent man, and yet even he had no idea what I was going through: he really thought it was a matter of "choice".

In the end, my year in Germany was every bit as bad as I anticipated it would be.

He also says how he makes the "decision" when he meets people that they'll like him, implying that I could do the same if I tried harder.

At work, it's been clear that I've been going through a really tough time but very few people ask how I am or take any kind of interest in me. On the other hand, a girl who broke her arm in an accident was flooded with expressions of sympathy, flowers etc. (not that I didn't sympathise with her, but I'm just pointing out the contrast).

OK, that's enough self-pity for now....

TheOriginal_BIRD
26-06-08, 15:51
THANKYOU ALL! :D
its nice to know you all think the same as me!!

im fed up of everybody just ignoring my illness like it isnt really there, and telling me their own problems..of course im there to listen, but sometimes i feel as if they think i have it easy!
iff only they knew :( xxx

Rexzooly
26-06-08, 16:34
Can i just say here s big hug from ME:bighug1:

and come more:bighug1::bighug1::bighug1:

its like most people think its not a ilness wha sucks more could be done to
open peoples eyes but its not and its unfair huggles hun we are here for you
:yesyes:

TheOriginal_BIRD
26-06-08, 21:09
LOL your hugs comment made me giggle!