PDA

View Full Version : More mods and support

Rexzooly
26-06-08, 09:58
I have been viewing this site not just as someone whom needs help
but also as a Webmaster for 100's of sites and i have become discusted
with the level of mods online looking after the site and Chat client.
i see no safty for minners on this site in the chat room anyone is able to chat on there aslong as thay have account one memeber told me thay was 12 this
would in no way be alowed to chat some things said in that room should not
be said around children.

A age lock should be added to the chat client to keep them safe the forum
is open to more and minners PM system sould be disabled or limited to
admins and other people there age.

These are just what i have seen and i have not come up with this on a wim
i have monited the site for last week for hours at a time alsmost clocked
12 hours one day just on this site.

With this problem looked in to then NMP would be more safer to younger
memebers.

Thanks all.

xxx Rex.

Also i have talked to meany people about this and thay have seen it and
thay also agree if you have read this please also stick your view down so
the admin are more likely to have the problem sorted.

From one webmaster to another
Good site.

Jaco45er
26-06-08, 11:14
There is a disclaimer when you log onto chat informing you that you must be 13 to use chat.

This site is provided free and a lot of work and free time (by Alex and Nic inparticular), is required to offer what is a useful resource for anxiety sufferers.

It is not the job of the creators and providers of this site to "police the internet", and they have taken more than reasonable steps to run this site and chat in a responsible manner.

I would suggest you concentrate on using this site for it's invaluable resource, rather than trying to create an issue that is not apparant.

Regards,

Jaco

Jaco45er
26-06-08, 11:31
The mods are in chat as regular users who are then entrusted to "control incidents" in a fair and conclusive manner, and offer help if it is within their abilities.

Neither they, or Admins can be held responsible for very forum thread or chat conversation.

To my knowledge no mods here are trained mental health professionals and if they do decide to go to help, or reply to a thread, it is out of kindness and a willingness to help, and possibly to offer their own experience on particular symptom or situation.

There is a limit to the support that this site can offer, and a minority of users who use this site seem to think that this it is a substitute for proffesional help.

It is about time that they realised that NMP should be seen as additional support, to compliment proper, medical proffesional help, and as a comforter to reassure sufferers, and not treat it like a lifeline, putting demands on others.

I sometimes think that a few users forget that just about everyone here suffers or has suffered from anxiety (and other conditions).

Regards

milly jones
26-06-08, 12:02
i am really upset by this thread

please stop

milly

andie73
26-06-08, 12:28
Well said Jaco.

Poeple who use this site properly know that it is not a substitute for professional help and that it is a place where people with similar problems can chat and enjoy light hearted banter and friendship.

To be honest Rex I found it very hard to understand what you were meaning . All I can say is that this site has been helpful to me in terms of a meeting of minds with like minded people.

The internet has many issues with regards to minors that are well documented but I fail to see how you can hold the admins responsible for this. There are site whose main objective seems to be to encourage minors into this that and the other. I see NOTHING like that here. Parental responsibility must be exercised with regards to minors as as adults we are well aware of the dangers of the internet. I see no dangers on this site only friendship and support. As well as the disclaimer for those under 13 which is there to provide some protection. You cannot legislate for people who are prepared to lie about their age.

If you do not wish to use this site in the way it is intended then you fail to see why we all find it so useful.

Krakers
26-06-08, 12:39
While the initial post was not well worded nor the point relayed very well, I have to agree to some extent. Having said that I also agree with the follow up messages.

The problem lies though in the fact there is no way to police the age of accounts even if you wanted to and a disclaimer is really the only effective way. If you wanted to read posts, you can as a guest (guests usually outnumber users 5 to 1 from the stats I have seen) and this I think is a good thing as anxiety affects many people, regardless of gender, nationality, race or age. Sufferers are usually reticent to commit to registering until they feel comfortable with doing so.

Also, if you had to key your DOB at registration then you could put anything in. There is no way to prevent young people from using NMP or in fact any other *free* and volunteer supported site, maintained wholly with goodwill and charitable donations (and I'm not even sure that covers the upkeep). Yes you can police age on paid for sites, but they collect credit / debit card details. That would only discourage sufferers from signing up and receiving the wealth of knowledge available here on NMP.

I would hate to see the functionality, availability, cost and smooth running of the site impeded by the (IMHO) extremely difficult suggestions put forward. I'd also consider the original post in context, as it alludes to matters I don't think are relevant here. Any breach of NMP rules can be reported be they in chat or PM. I'm sure that while all PM's remain private, that any rule breach under any circumstances could and would be looked into if reported.

The mods and admins do a great job here. I'm sure your concerns will be addressed and replied to after consideration by one shortly.

Krakers.

Krakers
26-06-08, 13:05
Thought I'd add another quick point rather than append my previous post. I was interested to see that your own site is covered by no more than a disclaimer Rex - how do you propose to resolve the percieved problem you raised here ?

After all, if a user "clicks" they are over 13 you have no way of checking.

Krakers.

Rexzooly
26-06-08, 13:20
Well i didn't see this getting this much reply sorry my point is not clear i do find it hard to get my point across, I agree the site as a lot and please don't say i am "rather than trying to create an issue that is not apparant." and sorry but these kinds site do by law have to put in to place something to keep miners safe, but thats said the discamer is there the law is a little
cloudy after that. But yes i seen problems and i didn't want to keep them to my self also i don't know what that deleted post said so i was unable to reply to that i am not having to go with NMP i like NMP i love the late night chats and posting but i did not want to laeve someone bugin me when i have the optin to be heard and i am glad people have read it.

I do agree its hard to be able to look after much more but there is little thing that could be done thats all i am really saying why shouldn't i pass on this to a admin.

Milly i am so sorry for upsetting you hun i didn't mean to i didn't think i would get so bad of a reply i was just expresing my views what i have a right to but 2 peolpe so fair just made me feel like i have not got that right i never said this site was bad i would not be a member if not and i would not have a link back to this site i rated this site on my own site and recamend it as a support site.

So just to clear all this up .. think i just muked this post up again go nocked off track with msn .. lol

I like the site and thats why i joined but as a site admin my self when seeing that i saw i thought the admin should see that someone as seen this
as a problem, i agree adults and miners should follow the urls and getting the real age is not a easy thing as i am tring to do the same thing with my
own site. so anyway i was not meaning to upset people and i don't know what the deleted post was hope it was not mean to anyone.

Hugs to anyone i have upset.

Rexzooly
26-06-08, 13:28
Thought I'd add another quick point rather than append my previous post. I was interested to see that your own site is covered by no more than a disclaimer Rex - how do you propose to resolve the percieved problem you raised here ?

After all, if a user "clicks" they are over 13 you have no way of checking.

Krakers.

i don't know if this is a place to post this but here i was asked so.
Like NMP i do also have the same problem i am adding or trying as we
speck set it up so that none is able to use a chat service with my site until
anoth posts this would at lest give us a small idea if there telling us the truth i know this is not a big set but is one i want to take to try other steps
are trying to get mods that come on ant other times but i don't have more more tick up my slive SOC as been on the books to become a charity i have all the paper work so this would get people form the trust i am thinking to going with to be used as mods this is a big step tho and i am taking it slow see how the new SOC comes out from the old one.

until some kinda ID comes out free for us all to porvide i age its a fighting
battel i just wanted to outline some little things might of gone over board
sorry like before if i upset anyone i can be over expressive sometimes.

I hope that anwers your question i thought it best to repost as i posted the other reply without knowing your new one was there.

Rex
:bighug1:
please don't hate me lol

Rexzooly
26-06-08, 13:33
=== Editied====
Removed as i saw the post was deleted
============

i do know the ins and outs but sorry like i said i think i might of got my point across little 2 strong but yes most people are good people on this site
for this kinds site i would of thought your would under stand a little but seems people just have taken it the wrong way anway i don't want this post to be a post of hate ... please try see both sides of it i have always stated its good site.

Krakers
26-06-08, 13:39
.....Like NMP i do also have the same problem i am adding or trying as we speck set it up so that none is able to use a chat service with my site until anoth posts this would at lest give us a small idea if there telling us the truth .....

Hi Rex - seems like this is exactly how NMP operates already - see http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28694&highlight=new+members

Krakers.

Southern_Belle
26-06-08, 13:47
Rex,

As previously stated, the chat room does have a disclaimer you must read before entering the room. Nowhere does it state that the chatroom is monitored 24/7; however, most of the time it is.

Also, anyone on the internet can read the posts made by all the members. As for private messages, they are as stated private.

The Admin Team and Moderators monitor the site and chat room on their own time and have no set hours. Adding new Aministrators are currently being considered.

In the future, there is no need for you to monitor the site unless you want to post as a member, we do have the site under control.

Laura xxx

Rexzooly
26-06-08, 13:48
yes the system i want to do tho is done via the forum is self
but yes its very like that but its would be more then 5 days i know
thay say it works but just i think it sould be more and it would still have to have anoth mosts to become the right rank to even see the chat
also i have not got a main chat room i went more for a friends based messenger that only added friends can chat to one and nother just like
adding a PM friend and the chat logs are then emailed to one and nother
after the convo is done do both partys and the email its self would have 100% that was said.

So kinda think of ways. to mointer without aways having a mod there 24/7
but i would be there more the time.

not the best i know. but like i said i guess i came over 2 stronge sorry
i am dyslexic and big hearted and i lose my self a little sometime.s:hugs:

The Fool
26-06-08, 13:50
ok we dont want to upset you but i dont just dont see quite what your trying to say i mean what do you want us to get more mods and have one in there every moment of every day? unfortunaly there will be nothing they can do about age as i no kids since i practicly am one and they will lie about there age to get into chat watever they put on it so there is really no point.we no there safe its a safe chat yes im young and ive been in some sticky situations in there myself but this is a free site to help and to have fun and to make friends if we start putting all sorts of rules and regualtions on it it really wont be no more panic any more. so really what do you want us to do about ti?

Rexzooly
26-06-08, 13:51
Rex,

As previously stated, the chat room does have a disclaimer you must read before entering the room. Nowhere does it state that the chatroom is monitored 24/7; however, most of the time it is.

Also, anyone on the internet can read the posts made by all the members. As for private messages, they are as stated private.

The Admin Team and Moderators monitor the site and chat room on their own time and have no set hours. Adding new Aministrators are currently being considered.

In the future, there is no need for you to monitor the site unless you want to post as a member, we do have the site under control.

Laura xxx

hello Laura thanks for the reply i did it after seeing some things i was not happy about but now i told you i am happy to carrie on as you might of seen my post have started again and i now only go in the chat room later when i am not busy and its good your considing more admins please
acspet my sorrys i didn't mean to make upset

Southern_Belle
26-06-08, 13:54
Okay Rex, drama over. How about you run your site and we run ours?

Thanks,

Laura

Rexzooly
26-06-08, 13:55
ok we dont want to upset you but i dont just dont see quite what your trying to say i mean what do you want us to get more mods and have one in there every moment of every day? unfortunaly there will be nothing they can do about age as i no kids since i practicly am one and they will lie about there age to get into chat watever they put on it so there is really no point.we no there safe its a safe chat yes im young and ive been in some sticky situations in there myself but this is a free site to help and to have fun and to make friends if we start putting all sorts of rules and regualtions on it it really wont be no more panic any more. so really what do you want us to do about ti?

i was passing my views on to the admins i did like said go a little 2 strong with it and yes kids lie lol you tring to admit something lol ...jk
the reply given to me via tha admin was happy anoth :)

upset me nar not on this one as i know it is a hard suject to work with.:bighug1:

Rexzooly
26-06-08, 13:57
Okay Rex, drama over. How about you run your site and we run ours?

Thanks,

Laura

thats wat i have been doing for the last 2 days really but ya i know how had it is with that topic lol..

god i am standing here to post all these lol and my back is killing.

Rex .. :)

The Fool
26-06-08, 14:01
lol ok i forgive and forget easily and no i am nearly 14 but i did once lie about my age to join a website that i am now old enough i join but i was like 12 lol never mind

bottleblond
26-06-08, 14:27
Rex

As one of the chat room monitors, i have to say that you have no idea what goes on behind the sceens here to make the chat room a safe place for ALL. It is not just a case of someone being in the chat room reading every sentence that is typed by every member.

We are quite well aware of the ages of our members, caution is taken when they are in the room to make sure nothing untoward is being discussed as we respect them for who they are, not just their age.

I do not have to divulge any NMP procedure regarding the chat room or any other section of the site but please be aware, thet we do know what is going on in chat and we do deal with any problems promptly whether we are in the room or not.

Thankyou for your concern but i can assure you, they are not needed.

Lisa

london
26-06-08, 15:05
nothing wrong with the chat room nothing its a good help
and the mods do a good job

lilibet
26-06-08, 15:26
Dear All

I dont want to get too involved in this one, but this thought might help.

My 12 year old son was recently on a site with a friend of the same age, they should not have been their but clicked 1972 and were then assumed to be 36! He had a short sharp talking to by me the 36 year old!!!!

Unfortunately, that is the way things are, and i dont blame the operators of any site as far as im concerned its upto ME or any other parent to know what their children are doing on-line.

love lilibet x

Krakers
26-06-08, 16:01
I think the original post can be surmised as "there was a 12 year old in chat, just letting you know for info". Might have been better if it was PM'd and worded less strongly.

I think Rex has apologised enough though, and certainly the mods have reassured all that everything is more than in hand.

Krakers.

Rexzooly
26-06-08, 16:27
I think this thred needs locking now as its getting out of had another post telling i don't know how this system works is going to really tick me off i would not of posted if i didn't know so please lock this or even delete it my fault for statting it yes Krakers your right i should of PM'ed with i did now but you know what you have alot on your mind you don't think also thanks for the help.

One again sorry for the upset but come on lests drop it now.

Rely to Lilibet
"Unfortunately, that is the way things are, and i dont blame the operators of any site as far as im concerned its upto ME or any other parent to know what their children are doing on-line."
You have given me a wonderfull idea that could support youger membes i am not sure it will work so not going to say want but thanks :)