PDA

View Full Version : Zopiclone...anyone come off successfully?

LisaD
21-04-05, 17:27
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for someone who has taken zopiclone, and were able to wean themselves off. I have been taking it for 3 months now...I was initially prescribed it when I was in an acute anxiety state because I was barely sleeping 2 hours a night. I am now also on citalopram, which is helping. I sleep about 4-5 hours after taking the zopiclone, then wake up, but I am able to get back to sleep after about 10 minutes or so. After that I usually sleep 2 hours, then wake up again, then back to sleep etc etc. I am off work at the minute, so I am thinking that this would be a good time to try to do the weaning. My psychiatrist said that the fact that I don't sleep well after the zopiclone wears off may be a sign that I still need it. But I don't feel panicky when I wake up, it just feels like a weird rhythm by body has gotten into, and maybe if I stop taking the zopiclone it may learn how to sleep normally again???? I am also scared about trying to wean myself off, because I tried halving the tablets for 3 nights, but barely slept 2 hours, and almost sent myslef off the edge from the anxiety (but I was also way more anxious then than I am now). Anyone have any experience/input on this matter? I want to stop taking it, but I also have only recently been feeling relatively "normal" so I don't want to risk a relapse. Arrgggg, so frustrating!

Lisa

Meg
21-04-05, 18:26
Try full dose one night and half the next and see how you do for a week. On your half night make an extra effort with lavender bath , relaxation etc .

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

florence
21-04-05, 20:49
Hi Lisa

I took zopiclone for about 8 months and became addicted....I tried to wean but was too difficult, so i decided to stop it suddenly, which gave me horrid withdrawal effects.
The best thing for me was to take diazepam instead with equivalent dosage (6 mg when i started) , and now I am on 2 mg, so I guess I am doing well so far.
If you need any advice about tranquilizers and sleeping pills and informations about weaning off, then try this website , it has helped me a lot. www.benzo.org.uk
Zopiclone is not a benzodiazepine but works in a very similar way, by enhancing the actions of the neurotransmitter GABA .
I wish you all the best.

Florence.

**See the world more as it is, less as what you are.**

sal
21-04-05, 22:58
Hi Lisa

Was prescibed it but only tried it once so cant really help on this one. Know it is addictive so suggest you reduce it very slowly and take your time hun. And take advice from people who have being there.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

joe8
28-04-05, 20:13
Hi Lisa/ Everyone

I am a new member this is my first post. I have been suffering chronic depression and anxiety for a long time and saw a new psychiatrist today who thinks my main problem is dependancy on Zopiclone. I have been taking 15mg nightly for six months. 7.5 before bed and then another 7.5 when I wake up in the middle of the night. I wake up in the middle of the night every single night as I seem to be desperate for more another tablet. I seem to wake myself subcontiously. Not going back to sleep is not an option for me as Im so depressed and panic striken the moment I wake.

So I put "zopiclone withdrawl" in my search engine and it led me here. I dont know how the hell I am going to get off this stuff because it gives me the only relaxation I can get but also makes me quite high sometimes and taking it is the only thing I have to look forward too. I cant substitute it with Diazepan, I suggested that but my psychiatrist said not a good idea.

Its a real catch 22 situation as my psychiatrist thinks the after effects of Zopiclone is why Im so lethargic during the day. Lisa - let me know how you get on as its good to share expereinces I guess and if anyone out there can help me Im pretty desperate to get off this stuff if it will help me get my life back.

Cheers, Joe

LisaD
30-04-05, 16:01
Hi Joe,

Thanks for writing, maybe it'll be good to have a "partner" in this-are you game???
When I was at my worst, I was up to 2.5 tabs a night, same pattern as you. I was able to cut out the 2nd dose fairly easily...but first I needed to calm down during the night. The doctor had put me on Celexa (citalopram), which I take before bed, and I soon found that I would still wake up once the first pill had worn off, but that I was calm enough to get back to sleep. DOn't know if you are already on an SSRI, or open to it, but Celexa is very good for sleep....has helped me tremendously in this aspect.
Talked to my psychiatrist yesterday, and he recommends a gentle tapering. Take 1/8 of the pill away for a few days, then 1/4 for a few days etc etc. Drinking warm milk and eating a banana before bed naturally raises your seratonin levels and will help sleep. I also have started taking valerian root which is supposed to help with the withdrawl, and hopefully will help my sleep pattern. Don't know if its safe to mix with 2 X 7.5 mg zopiclone, so you might want to check it out.
I'm starting my "regimen" tomorrow evening, as we have my partner's two little neices over for a sleepover this weekend...so I think I'll be frazzled enough without starting this quite yet!
Joe, let me know how you are doing with this....if you are interested in working through this together, let me know. I know it won't be easy, but I also know that once we have rid our dependence on it we will feel soooo much better! Take care,

Lisa

PS. Figured out that I am waking up in the middle of the night because my body needs nicotine (I'm a pretty heavy smoker and would smoke whenever I woke up)....so if anyone else is a smoker, try not to get into this habit, or try to gently wean yourself!!!

joe8
30-04-05, 23:11
Hi Lisa,

This sounds like a good idea - yes I would like that. I have had my Zopiclone for tonight so off to try get some sleep but speak to you real soon can go into more detail. Send me a PM if you like anytime.

Love, joe x

cazziep
05-05-05, 14:18
Hi all

I just thought I'd tell you a bit about my experiences with Zopiclone. Hoping it might help!

I've been on and off it for years! Up to 15mg a night. I, personally, have never had any major problems coming off it (having said that, as soon as I start having anxiety, I'm straight back on it, so I suppose there's a psychological dependency there)!

I've had 3 pregnancies in the last year (sadly, no babies) and as soon as I found out I was pregnant, I came off it overnight - because I knew I had to!

I'm currently back down to 7.5mg (after being on 15mg for nearly 3 months). I'm hoping to get down to 3.75mg (my maintenance dose!) but then, eventually, come off it again!

My advice would be, cut down slowly (for the psychological effects cutting down can have on you, as much as the physical side effects). In my experience, it can be done. If you worry about the dose too much, you add to your anxiety and you will not sleep! I've taken 15mg and got absolutely no sleep...yet, I've also taken nothing and slept well! I think the key to my insomnia is ME, not the medication! Yes, it helps, but the more I worry about not sleeping, you can guarantee I won't sleep!

If anyone wants to PM me, please do. :D

Caz xx

panthony
30-11-07, 20:22
Hello LizaD,
I have been taking Zopiclone etc.
My email address is pacmanthony@googlemail.com

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for someone who has taken zopiclone, and were able to wean themselves off. I have been taking it for 3 months now...I was initially prescribed it when I was in an acute anxiety state because I was barely sleeping 2 hours a night. I am now also on citalopram, which is helping. I sleep about 4-5 hours after taking the zopiclone, then wake up, but I am able to get back to sleep after about 10 minutes or so. After that I usually sleep 2 hours, then wake up again, then back to sleep etc etc. I am off work at the minute, so I am thinking that this would be a good time to try to do the weaning. My psychiatrist said that the fact that I don't sleep well after the zopiclone wears off may be a sign that I still need it. But I don't feel panicky when I wake up, it just feels like a weird rhythm by body has gotten into, and maybe if I stop taking the zopiclone it may learn how to sleep normally again???? I am also scared about trying to wean myself off, because I tried halving the tablets for 3 nights, but barely slept 2 hours, and almost sent myslef off the edge from the anxiety (but I was also way more anxious then than I am now). Anyone have any experience/input on this matter? I want to stop taking it, but I also have only recently been feeling relatively "normal" so I don't want to risk a relapse. Arrgggg, so frustrating!

Lisa

panthony
30-11-07, 20:27
Hello LisaD,
I've taking Zopiclone etc., I hope I can be of some help...
Paul...
pacmanthony@googlemail.com

bearcrazy
01-12-07, 03:37
Hi, there is a site for people addicted to drugs like this and gives advice on tapering its called 'Benzoisland'. If you google you should find it and there is a manual called the helen Ashton manual which gives step by step instructions about how to taper. I printed it off and took it to my GP. Together we have managed to cut my temazepam from 60mg a night to 2 mg of diazepam at night. It hasnt been easy but i feel that I have achieved something!:hugs:

tea'na
01-12-07, 07:33
Hello LisaD, am currently taking Zopiclone, on and off. Has been of great help to me, nothing worse than that raw feeling when you've had no sleep. Dont take any for weeks and then' due mainly to pmt, have to take sum for a few nights. Have taken up running, and has had such an impact on my panic attacks....its still a struggle am not the athletic type. Hope i can be of help x

Gipsy
02-01-09, 17:17
zolpidem would be a good alternative, as it doesnt have the same side effects, and its a little stronger so you may find you sleep through the night without waking and they get your body clock used to a routined night time if you wanna call it that, so its a lot easier to stop taking when you wish too, hope this helps x

Notator
02-01-09, 22:35
I managed to get off Zopiclone some time back ( although I have to say that some 9 months later I started taking them again because I couldnt get to sleep when i needed to and it was a trade off...)
The way I did it was to get a set of digital scales - accurate to about .01g ( easily available off ebay!) and I "shaved" a little off each pill each night and very gradually brought the does down over several weeks - I think it was 4 weeks

shotokansho
22-05-11, 23:23
I'm still on zopiclone and I am adddicred. I'm suopposed to take 1 7.5mg at night but i have been taking and extra 3.75 on top. I have a nad feeling niow that i am addictyed ot them becuse i am startinf to like the edsationd of it rather than being abnle to sllep. I really terrified of coming off them, its like i need to have them. I am sedated nowm after taking 11.25mg. so my typuing is dreadful and i am bumbing into things. I reallty need help with this and would appreciate any comments. Last night I drank 6 beers and took 2 7.5 mg, i think i cant rember. If i my gp wont allowe me anymore i will have to buy some off teh net and i know thats dangerous

Kez x

KK77
22-05-11, 23:44
I'm still on zopiclone and I am adddicred. I'm suopposed to take 1 7.5mg at night but i have been taking and extra 3.75 on top. I have a nad feeling niow that i am addictyed ot them becuse i am startinf to like the edsationd of it rather than being abnle to sllep. I really terrified of coming off them, its like i need to have them. I am sedated nowm after taking 11.25mg. so my typuing is dreadful and i am bumbing into things. I reallty need help with this and would appreciate any comments. Last night I drank 6 beers and took 2 7.5 mg, i think i cant rember. If i my gp wont allowe me anymore i will have to buy some off teh net and i know thats dangerous

Kez x

I take 3.75mg but not every night (if possible). You must reduce gradually Shoto. I was initially on 7.5mg too but although I slept like a baby (hehe) it caused a lot of problems the next day. Do you find it causes amnesia (memory lapses)?

Try cutting or shaving a bit off the tablet and get down to 3.75. It can be done - good luck.

haz
23-05-11, 01:10
I have been on 7.5mg Zopiclone, reduced to 3.75mg and then stopped with no problems. However, after another hospital admission and change of medication I'm back on 7.5mg and have been for 5 months. I hope to do the same as before but I'm "not allowed" any changes in my medication whilst I'm in psychology. I've waited a long time to see the psychologist and I think it could help so I'm willing to compromise staying on my 7.5mg zopiclone just now. I am generally a good sleeper but initial side effects of new medication caused insomnia but my memory is shocking at the moment.

I'll keep you posted. Good Luck. :flowers:

haz
23-05-11, 01:12
Hi, there is a site for people addicted to drugs like this and gives advice on tapering its called 'Benzoisland'. If you google you should find it and there is a manual called the helen Ashton manual which gives step by step instructions about how to taper. I printed it off and took it to my GP. Together we have managed to cut my temazepam from 60mg a night to 2 mg of diazepam at night. It hasnt been easy but i feel that I have achieved something!:hugs:

You have! Well done!! :yesyes:

ElizabethJane
24-05-11, 22:29
Hi I'm taking 3.75mg zopiclone at night after losing my Dad in April. If I don't take it I experience all sorts of strange sleep related problems. I am going away to Germany soon so I will probably take some with me. I have great difficulty waking up in the morning and feel really spaced out but at least have slept well. I'm not sure if I can always cope with anxiety off the scale without any respite from it. I'm keen to come off it though. EJ.

haz
24-05-11, 22:44
I've decided I'm going to come off it. Saw my psychiatrist on Monday but he was running late and seemed distracted. He initially said I wasn't allowed to change any of my meds whilst getting psychology so it kind of threw me when he said "Yes" when I asked to come off my zopiclone. I've been on 7.5mg every night for 7 months. I asked if I should just half them and how long to stay on the half dose for and he muttered one to two weeks. Like I said, he seemed distracted. The last thing I want is withdrawal symptoms. I feel I need to come off them cos they don't really work that well any more and my memory is shocking. Some nights I sleep like a baby, others nights I toss and turn a bit, depending on my anxiety levels, but I'm generally a pretty good sleeper. I'm already on 3 x 5mg diazepam a day. I was gonna ask my CPN about how to reduce when I see her next Tuesday, but she probably won't be that helpful, as usual! Might try half a one tonight and see how I feel tomorrow.

Confused!!!

Chrism
05-09-11, 10:34
I was on zopiclone for six months and didn't think I would ever sleep without it, with my doctors support I gradually reduced to half a tablet a night then after two weeks I began to take half a tablet every other night. Two weeks later I was off them. You can expect some anxiety and bad dreams during this time but it's normal, I just kept telling myself that it was normal and that it would be ok, so of you believe you can do it and know what to expect it's not that difficult! I've been off them for six months now and sleep really well, the tablets kick started my sleep paterns.
Chrism

stevie boy
26-10-11, 00:55
WOW iv just been reading the posts an most of you have only been on it months iv been on it ten years now its got to the point i have to buy them online cos i always start to panic when im getting low an think il have to go a day without them there are so many pros an cons to zopiclone yes its very addicting an i wish i could come off them but if not for them i would not be able to go anywhere there very good at stoping anxity an panic attacks i had to go to hosptal lastweek an it is very far away from wihere i live i was in such a panic i just didnt want to go i felt sick i couldnt stop going to the toilet an was about to ring them and cancel but after takeing two zopiclone in half an hour i was relaxed an didnt have any anxity at all once i got home i felt so good about myself for going all that way BUT on the other hand i do not want to be addicted to them for the rest of my life so i wish anyone who wants to come off them the best of luck an maybe when im ready you could give me some tips lol

Jford41
16-05-13, 09:38
I was prescribed zopiclone and I was taking anything up to 100 in 2 weeks. I had to go rehab and am now on diazipam and methadone. I had to go to rehab cause they said in 6 months I'd have died. I was fast tracked into rehab within 2 days. Now I've got the stigma of a heroin addict where I never tried the stuff but methadone labels you. If you need help pls write me been there beat it inches from dying x

Ladyjules59
05-06-15, 22:12
Hi there I have been taking zopiclone for 18 yrs now supposed to be 15mg a night but found it wasn't helping and was feeling so tired and couldn't cope so I upped it to 4 a night along with antidepressant still waking up every night I'm at my wits end ...I did try cutting down again but got sweats palpitations and even nightmares nauseous as well :weep: any suggestions for me please

Julie

old trucker
22-07-15, 02:59
Hello Lisa. I was hooked as well and got to the point where I could not even take a nap without Zopiclone. I was on a 7.5mg dose.
This may not be recommended but I would take 1 Gravol tablet and 1 adult dose of NyQuil before bed. This worked for me and after appx. 2 weeks, I was able to quit taking those and still get to sleep! Good luck with whatever you try!:D

SADnomore
22-07-15, 05:02
This worked for me. I have been meaning to start a thread about it, but here goes!

It had been 8 years that I was on zopiclone, and my doctor had started to plead with me to do more to come off taking them every night, because the docs are starting to get leaned upon to stop prescribing it. For obvious reasons. (Initially it had been thought that the "z drugs" (zolpidem is another) were not addictive, so they didn't know.)

Finally I read about Trazodone, which is a less known antidepressant that has proven itself to be valuable moreso as a sleep aid. I dusted off my slow full-body relaxation techniques, and picked up sleep hygiene habits like closing down screen time a couple of hours before bed. Then I cleared a week from any early morning appointments, just in case, and got and filled a prescription for Trazodone.

A couple of the most helpful things I did was to get into bed a bit earlier to massage a bit of lotion into my feet, stretch out completely to relax, and to read a few pages to distract and calm my mind from the day. And really importantly, to turn off the lamp within a minute or so of taking the tablet. This next part was key, worked straightaway and has never failed me. Beginning with the toes and balls of one foot, I would completely tense them to the slow count of inhale to 6, hold for count of 2-3 then slowly release the breath and relax the foot. Then I would breathe normally for several breaths, and then begin again with tensing the sole of the foot to a count of 6, etc., again finishing with up to 5 regular, relaxed breaths. The heel and ankle can be relaxed in this way, and by pointing the toes, even the tops of the feet.

What the trazodone did, I found, was to gently calm my mind and remove distractions. Stopped the chatter and worry about sleeping. I began to enjoy the feeling of peaceful relaxation so much that I ceased to care just how soon I would get to sleep, lol! I noticed the visuals that cued the approach of sleep appear. And sleep I did, often before getting past the knees of both legs. This phenomena actually gets easier and faster with practice, and after about 2 or 3 weeks I was able to get to sleep with these practices alone. No drugs at all!

I still keep a bottle of Trazodone in the drawer for any night that I might be overly anxious for some reason, or when outside disturbances interfere. In the past several months I have only needed to resort to them once for a couple of weeks again, during the worst of a family crisis. No need to wean, I simply stopped taking them altogether, when the crisis past. I don't wake more than once or twice in the night and am able to get back to sleep quickly. Very happy. :yahoo:

I didn't mean to write a book, sorry! But I think the supporting techniques are critical to making Trazodone an effective weaning tool from a drug like zoplicone. It works, but not with a "bat to the head" effect like zopiclone. Those of us used to that will need to work a little harder to meet trazodone half-way to achieve sleep.

If you want freedom from addictive drugs to get to sleep, give it a try like I did!
Good luck,
Marie