PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety - chest pains, shakes, and hospitalisation

tx2online
21-04-05, 22:03
Hi folks .... my name is Tim, and lately I'm getting some really awful anxiety/panic attacks!

It all started last week (although to be honest, i've always been an 'anxious' person) on Friday. I've had lots of personal crisis going on in life - money, job, love - all the usual stuff I guess !

I started getting these sharp pains in my chest, and of course, I was having a heart attack - at least, that's what I thought! Was getting really scared, frightened, actually needing to go to the toilet for a sit down!

To be honest, I was really, really scared. I've not experienced quite such a level of fear as that before now.

So, i inroduced myself at the local A&E department and was whisked away for ECG, blood test, X-Ray, morphine (yes, morphine for my chest pains) and various other electronic gadgets and needles!

Of course, everything about my heart came back as normal ...... i mean, what did I really expect? Well, i at least expected to be told I was at risk of a heart attack, or angina, or something .... i mean i had convinced myself.

So, later that day, i was let home. Nothing wrong with my heart.

The following day, i had quite a good day, until the evening, when i had the most horrible chest discomfort .... like a squeezing of my heart .... not painful, just very uncomfortble. Breathing was difficult, again the same feeling of overwhelming fear. The emotion of feeling very vulnerable, very not normal, almost out of my own body, totally helpless - weird.

So, i dialled 999, ambulance arrived, and I was whisked off to casualty. I spent the night in the hospital, again having a variety of needles stuck in me. The consultant visited me later the next day .... bloods were again fine, ECG was perfect, cholesteral was 4.7, and eveything was fine.

Since Monday (today is Thurs) I haven't felt right ...... chest aches a bit (but i think i may have some strain as i was lifting heavy furniture the day before this all kicked off) and I get frequent 'weird' feelings in my chest. I'm as tight as a drum in some parts of my back, shoulders and neck.

Sometimes my shoulder aches, or my left cheek tingles, or my neck aches, or my left arm feels odd. And of course, then i start thinking the worse - "it's my heart, i know it's my heart, that they found something they haven't told me about, or something they missed"

I feel stupid about all this - but it doesn't help.

Tonight i had a really 'good' panic/anxiety attack. Chest pains, tingles in the hands, I was shaking inside, my knees were knocking, my hands were shaking. In fact go here http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/symptoms.htm for how i felt !!

I'm slowly realising that these are just panic attacks, but the symptoms of chest tightness, worry, anxiety, aching remain long after the 'main' attack (is this normal??)

I think i may need to go and see my GP and say that I beleive my anxiety to be a real issue, and I may need some help to finally put this one to bed, as it is really getting silly.

I've only been 'suffering' a week from these panic attacks, and ironically everything in my life is coming together nicely right now .... great deal on a re-mortage, marriage is fantastic, work is great, i get on brill with my 14 yo daughter (whereas i've always convinced myself i'm a lousy Dad up till now) and i'm off on holiday in a couple of weeks.

Is it usual for someone to suddenly start experiencing this level of anxiety, this suddeness?
I've always been a 'nerves' person, a bit of a worrier, and do have family history of such problems (my Mum had a breakdown when i was a kid and is a sufferer of anxiety, but much better now she is older)

OK, i think this is anxiety, these are panic attacks for sure. So i need to control them, not them me. I guess a big step is realising what is going on? I've been and bought a couple of self-teach books on meditation, and a relaxation CD, so that is a step i guess? I haven't found the right time to use them yet, but i know i must.

Well, i have certainly rambled on!! But actually sharing my problem has really helped t

sal
21-04-05, 22:11
Hi Tim

Sometimes we cope really well through a storm and when it passes then we fall to bits. That is quite common. Your life is picking up and things are going okay and the anxiety will accomodate this and hopefully will improve. You have had all the reassurance from medical tests to show how healthy you are. You coped while the pressure was on and now need time to adjust to how well you did cope.

I am sure things will pick up from here on and you have a great holiday.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

henri
21-04-05, 22:14
Hi Tim,
Welcome to the site - am so glad you found it.
It definitely sounds like you are having panic attacks. I think it's quite normal for them to appear 'out of the blue', but you can usually trace them back to a bad event or negative thoughts or whatever.
Panic attacks are so scary but i think it's important to believe that there is nothing wrong with you, that the symptoms are uncomfortable but will pass. I say this, but it's obviously a lot easier said than done!
I found that doing a relaxation cd really helped, abdominal breathing, muscle relaxation exercises, bachs rescue remedy, no caffeine or alcohol, try and banish negative or upsetting thoughts, lots of sleep, relaxing baths. i was briefly on diazepam, which i still take in emergencies.
i learnt all of this through doing CBT, which really worked for me.
anyway, sorry for rambling!
henri x

Meg
21-04-05, 22:19
Hello Tim

Welcome and thanks for such a comprehensive introduction. It certainly helps all of us , You to get it off your chest and us to understand your situation.

Congratulations on a very healthy heart ..

Often we get through difficult periods with no problems and when its all over we start to feel and see the effects of holding it all together so well.

You might want to read the Health Anxiety page too on the home pages and in the catagory here for more ways to view your heart along with many others who have exactly the same issues

**symptoms of chest tightness, worry, anxiety, aching remain long after the 'main' attack (is this normal??)** Yes it is - its the remains of he adrenaline and will work its way out naturally - meanwhile exercise, relaxation and a massage wil help.

**Is it usual for someone to suddenly start experiencing this level of anxiety, this suddeness?** Yes , the first few may come from nowhere as a body alarm for system overload, but beware of the fear of the fear of having a PA setting in as then you learn create the rest all by how you think about things.

Start here and don't discount anything as it seems only a tiny adjustment and ' its too much hassle'

First Steps : First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Muscle pain : Fatigued Muscles (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2702)
Twitching: twitching (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3103)
Chest pain: Dull ache (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3044)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

tx2online
21-04-05, 22:30
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">

You have had all the reassurance from medical tests to show how healthy you are. You coped while the pressure was on and now need time to adjust to how well you did cope.

I am sure things will pick up from here on and you have a great holiday.

<div align="right">Originally posted by sal - 21 April 2005 : 21:11:16</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Thanks Sal .... nice to know i am not alone in all this, which is something i felt i was. I know this will get better, in time, and I hope to be able to help others who are going thru the same crisis as me one day ......

tx2online
21-04-05, 22:31
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">

i learnt all of this through doing CBT, which really worked for me.
anyway, sorry for rambling!

<div align="right">Originally posted by henri - 21 April 2005 : 21:14:34</div id="right">

Hi Henri, thanks for the reply ...... CBT ??? What's that?
And please, ramble away - one way i deal with my attacks is to talk my head off!

tx2online
21-04-05, 22:38

Welcome and thanks for such a comprehensive introduction. It certainly helps all of us , You to get it off your chest and us to understand your situation.

<div align="right">Originally posted by Meg - 21 April 2005 : 21:19:02</div id="right">

Hi Meg ... thanks for the encouraging words, and answers to my questions about the longevity of the symptoms, and other useful info.

In a very short space of time i feel already on the road to recovery!!

Off to bed now and a listen of my relaxation CD from Coby Zvikler which i bought yesterday.

henri
21-04-05, 22:47
hi tim,
CBT is cognitive behavioural therapy - it teaches you to deal with your symptoms and gives you the tools you need to deal with and overcome panic. it basically enables you to lose your fear of the symptoms. you can get it on the nhs - long waiting list in london, so i did it privately.
anyway, there's loads of info on the website, check it out,
henri x

Meg
21-04-05, 22:55
Under therapies on the home pages

Karen
21-04-05, 23:25
Hi Tim

Welcome to the forum. You'll get some good help and support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

zena
22-04-05, 10:55
Hi Tim
Well you have already got good advise from people.
It does go like that sometimes...coping very well with all major things then, back to earth with a bump!!!
Where you said "you need to control them not the other way round" is a good place to start.
Your not doing to bad.....and your hearts well and dandy which is a plus!
Take care honey hope all goes well for you.

with good wishes

Zena

tx2online
22-04-05, 13:27

Hi folks .... my name is Tim, and lately I'm getting some really awful anxiety/panic attacks!

<div align="right">Originally posted by tx2online - 21 April 2005 : 22:03:50</div id="right">

Well, have been to GP today to explain yesterdays attack, and those more milder ones before it, and he has put me on Diazepam for a week initially, just to bring me down to earth, so to speak. He's not even going to entertain problems with my chest he said, as he could "scare me sh*@#ess" (his exact words) with what might be causing the discomfort, but said it is so unlikely to be any of the above that we'll not even go there .....

So, first tablet taken, feeling weird ....... i also got some Bachs Rescue Remedy which I hope will go further to stopping me feeling like a complete loony!

I'll let you know how i get on when i've snoozed this first tablet off ........ z z z z z z

Meg
22-04-05, 14:12
If you're feeling woosy and wierd cut down the dose.

Some people need .5 mg to settle and one person on here needs 30 mg to touch her, so its not a one size fits all .

I guess he's given you 2mg or 5 mg so try and half it next dose and see how you go ..

He sounds like a sound bloke- any talk of CBT or counselling ?

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

tx2online
22-04-05, 14:34

He sounds like a sound bloke- any talk of CBT or counselling ?

<div align="right">Originally posted by Meg - 22 April 2005 : 14:12:21</div id="right">

He's put me in touch with a counselling service, but the earliest i can get to them is June 22nd!!
Guess that is a sign of the times with the NHS ... ?

nomorepanic
22-04-05, 18:26
Hi Tim

Welcome aboard the forum.

I am sorry to hear that you have started suffering but with some help and support you will conquer these before they get much worse.

I am pleased you got a clean bill of health at the hospital, now all you have to do is accept that you are fine which is never easy as a lot of people on here will tell you.

Good to have you on board.

Nicola

tx2online
22-04-05, 19:59

I guess he's given you 2mg or 5 mg so try and half it next dose and see how you go ..

<div align="right">Originally posted by Meg - 22 April 2005 : 14:12:21</div id="right">

I've got 5mg tablets, but i'm going to stick with the prescribed dose for now .... i think i am in for the best nights sleep in over a week tonite :D

Incii
26-04-05, 12:50
Hi all
i wondered if someone might be able to calm me down? i'm in a terrible state have tremendous chest pains....... ongoing for months, iv'e had an ecg a year ago and all was fine but these pains never ever go i'm so frightened i don't know where to turn :(.
I have read the symptoms list and the bit about chest pain but i can't convince myself that i'm not about to have a heart attack, i've suffered years and years of anxiety but these chest pains are a new symptom which of course can only mean i have suffered and worried to the point that i have now damaged my heart and am in the process of having a heart attack, please help if you can i'm a new member and hope iv'e done this correctly
love n hope
Sharon xxx

Meg
26-04-05, 14:18
Hi Incii

It is not normal to have chest pains 24/7 continually either with anxiety or cardiac disease. You may want to get a notepad and actually write down when you get the pains and how long they last.

If you've had **tremendous chest pains....... ongoing for months** and not had a heart attack then its very unlikley to happen now and is probably not a cardiac issue at all.

**which of course can only mean ** I beg to differ - there is no Of course about it and in thsi case seems like it may bot be related at all.

Please do feel free to start your own topic in Introductiosn where you can tell us a bit more about your circumstances and issues.

Meg

tx2online
26-04-05, 14:46

<div align="right">Originally posted by tx2online - 21 April 2005 : 22:03:50</div id="right">

Hi again .... well, here we are several days on, and still feeling a few twinges in my chest, like a dull ache over my left upper chest, about where my 'boob' is! I'm going back to the doc on Fri, so i'll get that checked out. But, the valium knocked me for six, so i have taken it on myself to halve my dose, snapping a 5mg tablet in half. It still makes me feel sleepy, but i haven't had any attacks since being on them.

Actually, i'm getting quite bored now, sitting at home doing 'b' all all day long. I think - no, i know - that my attacks are going to be short term.

I've really looked at myself these last few days, made changes to the way i talk to people, i listen now instead of jumping in, i look at things far more constructively than I did before, try to make something that is negative into something positive.

I dropped a glass the other day, it went everywhere when it smashed. Normally, i'd shove the dog in the garden, get all flustered about the mess, shout and scream at someone for no reason ... but now, i drop a glass, and i think ... "well, it's hit the floor, it can't go any further than that, so i'll take the dog out for a quick walk knowing that when i get back i'll be able to boil the kettle for a cuppa whilst i'm cleaning up"

My chest pains are just reminders that i've still got my sense of feeling, that i'm normal, like everyone else, and I get a twinge now and then. I tell myself that whilst they are uncomfortable, they are not life threatening, and go and get on with something else.

Sunday I had a low day, chest was hurting a bit, felt quite miserable. So, i fitted 2 new garden gates, some ladder hooks in my shed, and painted the shed door. Chest pains and anxiety?? Not me ..... :D

Not everyone is going to be as lucky as me, and there will be very difficult times ahead, but be assured, always assured, that there are folk out there who are thinking every thought you are, sharing every scary moment you are, and are holding your hand or talking to you with every moment that passes until you feel well again.

My most sincere thanks and best wishes to each and every one of you for a long, happy, and healthy life, and the time you spent making me feel the most important person in the world when i felt lost.