PDA

View Full Version : Panicking about food prices

maddie
30-06-08, 02:45
I'm agrophobic, so I felt really brave heading to the supermarket today. Bit anxious as I got my trolley and headed inside, but OK. Until I saw the prices of things.

I was horrified how the price of staple foods - bread, chicken, eggs, potatoes, fish fingers - has risen. Of course, the horror brought on a panic attack. I managed to cling to my trolley and make my way round, looking for all the bargains and cheap offers. My heart was pounding & my vision blurred.

This might sound silly, but I like to keep a well-stocked food cupboard. It's a security blanket for me. I know I can feed my family for some days should anything untoward happen. I couldn't afford the basics today, let alone things to restock the cupboard.

I was badly frightened, shocked and depressed. I felt like a pauper going round. I started to think of my daughter who is expecting my first grandchild. How are they going to manage? I've been on the internet all afternoon collecting coupons and offers. It's 2am in the morning now and I can't sleep. I'm still on the edge of panic.

What are we going to do? I don't have the ability to shop around. My partner
usually shops for me. This has really set me back in my efforts to get some normality back in our lives. And it looks like an issue that's going to be here a long time. I don't need this pressure. It's too much.

LucyR
30-06-08, 03:07
I could not agree with you more, prices are horrific nowadays, plus, if you own a car, you will know that petrol and diesel are increasing practically every day, or so it seems. I don't know if you have a Tesco 24 hr near you? If you do, if you head down there say 7pm or after, there are quite a few bargains some days like loaf for 65p instead of £1.30, and meals for just a few pence some times. Thats really all you can do, keep your eyes peeled for the bargains. Coupons can be worth it if you remember to use them by the date, and are wanting to buy it anyway!!

MommyKC
30-06-08, 07:26
well i guess prices are really rising everywhere, im from the US and i couldnt agree with you more on the prices of food. i have my basment stocked well with canned food, dry noodles and water..its a supply we have had for a few months and dont touch it so its their for an emergancy. id also like to get a deep freezer so i can stock up even more. the price of food, gas, diapers, formula, and medical is breaking us we are coming up short every month now. and our medical bills are threating to sue us *rolling my eyes* and i also have a lot of anxiety about that.

kellie
30-06-08, 10:15
First of all, a big well done to you hun for going out there and braving the shops XX hugs XX.
Second, yes omg the price of food is terrible i shop at sainsburys as my hubbie carnt drive out to far due to panic attacks so i cant shop for the bargains either in other places.
example on the price change
2 wks ago a large chicken was 4.50 / 5.00 and this saturday they are all up to 6.50 / 7.50
Thats an increase of 2 pounds or more
milk has gone up so has bread and lots of other stuff.

kellie.xxxxxxxx

maddie
30-06-08, 13:55
I'm still panicky and very jumpy today. Usually I have panic attacks for pretty much no reason as I'm mostly at home. This time there is a very valid reason and it's really made me scared to go out again. Maybe it is avoidance, but I don't want to see the way things are going. We're about to retire with only Gov. pension. My daughter's having the baby. I'm frightened.

Anyone any ideas how I can deal with this please?

samc100
30-06-08, 14:08
Hi Maddie - I have stopped getting the fruit and veggies at the supermarket and I use my local greengrocer. If I buy seasonal stuff then it is cheaper. And cos' I am a regular now the grocer often sticks abit of free fruit into my bag for my little boy !

Get your recipe books out and look on the internet for cheap easy recipes.

We are not big meat eaters in our house so that helps reducing cost of shopping. I do cook in bulk and freeze portions so we can have a week where it costs little, e.g spag bol and chilli so I only have to add rice or pasta.

I was reading in the newspapers that Aldi supermarkets who I think are at the cheaper end in cost (we don't have one near us so I am not sure) are looking at opening new branches and expanding cos' customers are going to them. So if you have one near you might be worth shopping there?

Regarding your daughter. She will manage because people do - it is amazing how inventive you can be! If she is on a low income she will be entitled to Family Tax Credits. She will also get Family Allowance which may not be a massive amount but it certainly helps cover nappy costs.

If you are worried about baby equipment because that can be costly you'll be amazed how many people suddenly empty their collection of baby stuff out of their lofts when they hear of someone having a baby. And look on Freecycle websites cos' people give stuff away.

Tom_M
30-06-08, 14:13
We go to a "job lot" shop, where almost everything is out of date, but it's very cheap. Mind you, I draw the line at some of the items they sell. I picked up something the other day that was three years out of date :ohmy:. But so far I ain't been poisoned :D.

marie1974
30-06-08, 14:20
to save money i usually go greengrocers and buy fresh stuff as u can make so much with veg salad potatoes etc and also i stock up on rice and pasta. i try to keep away from ready meals as this is where u end up spending a fortune and they are not filling either and full of rubbish

jellybean43
30-06-08, 14:20
Hi
Aww Maddie I know how worried you must feel
What i would suggest is having a look on the Martin Lewis website. It is fab!!So much info and help on there and the community is great!!
I am not sure if i can post the link here but if you google(u are allowed to google this LOL!!) it you will find it no probs.
Also, how about shopping at tesco on the internet.
I do and it really does reduce your bill cos u cant impulse buy.
Your daughter will be fine. I managed on my own with two kids for many years ----it was hard work but we all survived.
Take care xxx

samc100
30-06-08, 14:42
to save money i usually go greengrocers and buy fresh stuff as u can make so much with veg salad potatoes etc and also i stock up on rice and pasta. i try to keep away from ready meals as this is where u end up spending a fortune and they are not filling either and full of rubbish

homemade soups !!!! Yummy yum.

I have even been buying bread mix recently cos' it is cheaper than a loaf and nicer ( well most of the time it is nicer though had a few disasters)

binashubby
30-06-08, 14:54
Hi Maddie,
I know how you feel. I am worried as well. We have saved pounds on our shopping bill by not buying for the sake of buying - ie buy 2 get one free. OK if its non perishable, but only buy the 2 and have the one free if you are sure yoou will use/eat it and not throw it out. We used to buy lots on a saturday and ended up wasting a lot. Now we buy about 3/4 times a week and save some money.
Try to avoid driving to out of towners - the cost of driving there is going to eat up any savings you might make.
Paul

maddie
30-06-08, 17:02
Thanks everyone :hugs:

I've been dealing with a lot the last few weeks. I've been doing really well keeping panic at bay, but I think this was just the final straw. All my anxiety seems to have become focused on this and I can't stop obsessing about it.

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions.

mumof4
30-06-08, 17:17
i agree with the u the prices are terriable even the price of pertol is a disgrace i can harley afford to run my car now and shopping well my bf does that but it does cost loads.

Granny Primark
30-06-08, 21:12
Im horrified at the price of petrol.
When petrol rises everything rises cus of the cost of transport.
I just cant see how the government can justify the huge tax we pay on petrol.

julieb
30-06-08, 21:47
hi maddie,
i too am agoraphobic and as a result often have to buy my food as and when and also in the the shops where i feel comfortable which are usually smaller and not so cheap. my partner and i have had a very difficult 12 months where we have had to cut back everything we possibly can. my partner has stopped having a drink at home in the week, he used to meet his frieds each friday for a few beers now he often only makes 2 out of four fridays due to funds. we havent had any new clothes for ages and haircuts etc have to be essential before we go. dont get me wrong im not saying ive enjoyed it and ive done my fair share and probably someone elses of moaning at times but weve managed and hopefully our children havent really noticed or gone anything short. its taught me that ive got to look at what i'm buying and be more inventive with food. i think we should start a thread on ways to save cash in these hard times as im sure between us we have lots of great ideas!!!! can someone else start it though cuz i'm hopeless.

ju

nomorepanic
30-06-08, 22:20
Don't over buy goods. Do you really need a whole cucumber when half gets binned. Do you need a bag of potatoes when half go bad within a week?

Just buy what you need and most local greengrocers will cut things in half.

Check for bargains and BOGOFF's.

We can't do anything about it but we can be careful we don't waste things.

Buy smaller bags of things so less is wasted and make your own food rather than pre-bought expensive ready-done meals.

We all have to do it and yes it is hard but it can be done.

nomorepanic
30-06-08, 22:23
Grow your own veg and salad stuff too and recycle food - if I have stuff left I ask the neighbours if they want it cos we wont eat it before its sell-by-date so they may do the same!

Lilith1980
30-06-08, 22:43
It does get me down how expensive things are but I've decided to start "dropping a brand" in the foods I buy. I genuinely never thought about looking to buy own brands before - you tend to just go with what you know I guess.

I bought a value loaf from Tesco the other day for 37p. The next one up was still an own-brand but was 65p. I did get a bit worried my boyfriend wouldnt want the "no frills" brand but I thought "s*d it". Every penny saved builds up doesnt it.

Just take more time if you can when looking on the shelves. I am taking more notice of prices and they are so sneaky cos I go into Tesco every other day and their prices seem to be different on the regular things I buy from one day to the next!

Jo xxxxx

polly123
01-07-08, 19:25
Hi
What i do to save money is i bake all my own cakes and cookies my family love them and i also find it really helps with my anxiety. T he other thing we do is we have an allotment and grow all our own veg at a fraction of the price, hope these tips have helped in some way
POLLY

dawny
02-07-08, 18:52
maddie,

food...prices...arghhhhhhhh

i live on the isle of skye, we only have the co-op to shop in and believe me, everything is twice the price of mainland supermarkets....fuel up here is £1.31 a litre today.....cant do without a car up here.....

....so, we make lots of pies, soups, casseroles etc
i also have the luxury of mackerel, cod and pollock fishing
mussells, penny winkle and other shell fish are on the beach
wild garlic, nettles, gorse bushes are all ready for the picking......

so eating healthy can come for free !!!!!

dawny

Franz
02-07-08, 19:48
Im horrified at the price of petrol.
When petrol rises everything rises cus of the cost of transport.
I just cant see how the government can justify the huge tax we pay on petrol.

We do pay more petrol tax than most countries but even if the Government cut it, petrol prices would still keep going up, because there's a worldwide shortage of crude oil.

Rather than worrying about what that means, we need to adapt as a society so that we use far less energy. Much more food will have to be grown locally and our diet is going to have to change. We're going to have to drive and fly less. We will also have to co-operate and support each other more to keep things going, rather than living in our own bubbles, which I don't think is such a bad thing.

SueBee
02-07-08, 23:47
I agree Francis,

We buy too much food on a weekly shop and end up throwing a third of it away according to stastistics.

I watched a documentary a couple of weeks ago about a reporter who lived for 2 weeks eating food that was past its use by date ......... mince that looked rancid but when cooked was perfectly palateable and when tested in a lab, contained no microbes.

I can feed my family of 3 for £40 per week just making basic meals like soup and stews from meat and veg left over from the weekend. It is time consuming but in the present climate with prices rising daily I can see no other way.

What worries me the most is fuel. I'm not sure how much longer I can cope with the price rises. 3 yrs ago I was paying £30 per month for gas, now its £80. Electric was £27, now its £48. Petrol........ jesus!! 4 yrs ago when I bought my car, I used to struggle to get £30 of petrol in it, now it takes over £50 to fill it. I do wonder how I'll manage if prices continue to increase..... sigh :unsure:

Franz
03-07-08, 00:40
What worries me the most is fuel. I'm not sure how much longer I can cope with the price rises. 3 yrs ago I was paying £30 per month for gas, now its £80. Electric was £27, now its £48. Petrol........ jesus!! 4 yrs ago when I bought my car, I used to struggle to get £30 of petrol in it, now it takes over £50 to fill it. I do wonder how I'll manage if prices continue to increase..... sigh :unsure:

Sue,

It's tough I know. I'm very worried myself about what the future will bring, having read a lot about the energy crisis. Some of the predictions about what will happen are truly dire... but the fact is, we'll all be in the same boat and we're going to HAVE to find some way of reorganising our lives. That will mean we have to pull together, one way or another. I'm sure it can be done. It won't be comfortable, but adversity can bring out the best in people.

My brother and his wife have rented an allotment and are starting to grow some of their own food. It's a big investment of time and to start with they didn't have a clue what they were doing, but I think it's something I ought to consider myself... except that at lot of the time I'm so depressed because of social phobia that I can barely get out of bed, let alone manage my own food supply!

Francis