PDA

View Full Version : Missing the obvious

Bill
30-06-08, 03:49
My wife was laying on the sofa last night around this time, 3am. She'd fallen asleep as usual but when she woke she had a pain in her chest. I told her it was just because of the way she was laying or indigestion but she was convinced the sofa was to blame so started going on about getting a new sofa.

However, she totally missed the obvious that instead of falling asleep on there at this time, she should be asleep in bed! When I said that to her though she said she was too tired to move. It was easier just to sleep there!

It reminded me of how we treat our anxiety. When I use the word "obvious", I mean that anxiety stops us seeing the "actual" cause to our anxiety so when we suddenly experience an anxiety episode or panic attack we immediately start thinking we must be ill and hoping medication will "cure" us. Anxiety makes us miss the obvious that it's circumstances going on in our lives that have created the sudden onset of anxiety.

However, if then the actual reasons are pointed out, we often then feel too afraid to confront the actual causes so instead turn to medication or find ways to live around our anxiety by avoiding the situations that cause the attacks.

I'm exactly the same I know but my wifes sofa episode just reminded me of what I do and how I think by missing or avoiding the obvious.

For instance, panic attacks are normally brought on by a build up of too much stress in our lives perhaps at home or at work. Anxiety episodes can be created by past experiences that have created fears that we've left undealt with.

There is always a cause behind our symptoms but often anxiety tricks us into not seeing the actual cause and even if we realise what the actual cause is, fear often prevents us from tackling the actual cause so we instead avoid the obvious by looking at alternatives that are not effective so the anxiety keeps repeating in cycles until the actual causes are sorted. :hugs:

Rennie1989
30-06-08, 09:58
You are absolutely correct! I now that sometimes I try to deny what could be causing my anxiety with other excuses. For example I am worried about my fiancé but I don't want people to know so I blame the medication or 'I don't know'.

But sometimes these things are so obvious we look past them.

bluebottle
30-06-08, 10:07
Anxiety causes us to see things through different, fearful eyes, but the anxiety we feel is real and valid and has been created because of real and valid experiences. I agree Bill, if we get enough support, and take that leap of faith, then the anxiety will eventually fall away. This is an enormous task as we are jumping out of a plane without a parachute and having to believe we won't go splat. With the right support, and with courage, we won't go splat, and it may take a while, but we can get there. No man is an island, we all need support to face our fears, when we get the right support then we are half way there. The support is out there, but it can take a lot of digging to find it. The rest is up to us, and we are stronger than we can possibly imagine, even when we feel we are at our weakest. A lot of fear I believe is based on a fear of people, and the crazy thing is when you get talking to people you realise how they also have fears and insecurities and that actually we are very similar under the skin. We are all basically OK.