PDA

View Full Version : Hi Im new here

robert08
01-07-08, 00:46
Hi Everyone,
I discovered this site when googling manically for answers to my symptoms of anxiety. I find it helpfull to read your posts.
Ive had quite a bad time of it recently with a number of things, including moving flat because of noisy neighbours, and a couple of bereavments recently. All of this culminated in me having a bad anxiety attack whislt travelling as a passenger in a car with a friend. Ended up going to the A&E convinced that i was in serious trouble. After a number of tests including blood sugar, blood tests, xray, and ECG was released by the doc telling me she though it was an anxiety thing. Since then i had another anxiety attack following another bereavment and eneded up again in the A&E and having the same tests and being told the same thing.. As a consequence im fearful of travelling as a passenger in a car and i have attended my Gp. After he done some tests and suggested Citralopam and attend councelling. I have being doing the latter which has proved very helpful but not taken the citralopam as im afraid of the side effects that i have read about. I have not had any more bad anxiety attacks thankfuly as i uderstand what is causing them and try to control it. However i do find myself feeling consatntly short of breath and fidgety trying to avoid feeling anxious. I am trying Saint Johns wort to see if this helps and have tried acupuncture to try help me get back to normal but cannot afford to keep this treatment up..The constant feeling of anxiety is getting me down a wee bit but i feel that i am getting there. Is the breathless thing normal when in this state and if so any suggestions on how to get back to normal whould be most welcome. Thanks for listening and i can sympathise with the rest of you cause this Mental state of mind aint fun!
Robert :blush:

belle
01-07-08, 00:51
Hi and welcome.
I am sure you'll get lots of advice and support :)

x

robert08
01-07-08, 00:54
Hey Belle
Thanks for the welcome message :)
Robert

belle
01-07-08, 00:59
No problem.

x

jesse08
01-07-08, 06:44
Hi Robert Welcome to NMP. It's a great place for support and understanding.

kellie
01-07-08, 09:08
Hiya Robert :welcome: welcome to nmp its lovely to have you here :yesyes:
You will get lots of support/advice/reasurance and make some great friends along the way. feeling breathless or like you are struggleing to breath is a very commen symptom of anxiety and unfortunatly the more we do this the more the body learns that this is the way to breath.
You can help your self by retraining your body to breath correct by doing deep slow breathing
Breath in through your nose nice and slow to the count of 6 and then out even slower to the count of ten. put your hand on your belly as you do this and feel your tummy rise as you breath in and fall as you breath out ( dont breath through your chest as it wont work to well)
do this everyday a few times a day when you have a quiet time to do so. by doing this you will be helping your body and muscles to relax and you will be able to have more control when an anx attack starts as your body will know how to breath correct. plz dont worry if you go light headed as you do this at the start it is quite normal ok. try not to fear the anxiety as it carnt hurt you and when you feel anx just do the nice slow breathing and keep telling yourself, this is just anxiety and it will pass in a few mins to help it pass faster. hope to talk to you soon

take care :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxx

Cathy V
01-07-08, 10:06
Hi Robert and welcome. Breathlessness is definately part of anxiety, as anxious ppl tend to shallow-breathe and this upsets the balance of oxygen/carbon dioxide, and is the reason why docs tell us to breathe into a paper bag to neutralise the balance again. When carbon dioxide takes over it makes us light-headed and then we start to panic and the breathing becomes more 'gasping' and then comes the full blown panic attack.

Its also often the reason we can feel that the breathlessness is worse when we are sitting down, or just 'relaxing' and this is because when you are active the automatic breathing response takes over and your breathing is no longer in your control, and the breathing tends to become deeper as your lungs expand more. This is why exercise is recomended so much for anxiety too, as it can be a great way to keep your system well balanced...muscles, energy levels, breathing, heart-rate, blood sugar levels etc.

When anxious ppl are not moving, all the adrenaline created by our anxiety has nowhere to go and breathlessness is a main symptom because its part of the 'flight/fight' system...if you got up and ran around the block your breathing would return to normal again But the nature of our anx is that we're more often than not, a little scared to push our bodies, so we sit and focus on the feelings of anxiety instead and get ourselves into a state!

Try to think that your breathlessness is actually a normal reaction to all that adrenaline you have bombing around inside and not getting used up.

Hope this helps a little
Take care
Cathy xxx :)

milly jones
01-07-08, 11:41
hi robert, welcome

hope u gain as much support and friendship as ive been lucky enough to find here

as to the meds hun, its personnal choice i know, but please, after a couple of weeks the side effects do go, and the anx eases.

love milly xx

pooh
01-07-08, 13:10
HI and Welcome along to NMP

Lots of people will relate

Pooh x

Southern_Belle
01-07-08, 13:43
Hi Robert,

Welcome to the site. Many here feel like you do and you will get support.

Take care,

Laura

robert08
01-07-08, 13:46
My goodness thankyou all for taking the time to welcome me and read and respond like you have. Thanks for your advice Kelly, Cathie and Millie, its greatly appreciated and already i feel reassured. If theres anything i can do or share with you in return please let me know.
Robert :) xxx

Lilith1980
01-07-08, 16:15
Hi Robert

Welcome to NMP :)

Jo xxxxx

Nibbles
01-07-08, 20:44
Hi Robert and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way.

Take care,

Mike :)

Deano_08
01-07-08, 20:53
Hiya Robert :)
Welcome to NMP I've just joined myself and already I've found that its a really great site.
Feel free to message me anytime if you want to talk
All the best!

Dean

Sarah26
01-07-08, 21:14
Welcome to no more panic Robert!
You will get lots of support and advice here.
YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!
welcome!!!!!

robert08
01-07-08, 23:47
Thanks again everyone :) :) :)
Robert

chalky
02-07-08, 18:36
Hi Robert,

Welcome to the Forum.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

You will get loads of support and advice here.
Best wishes,
Chalky

Lindalou64
02-07-08, 21:11
Hello Robert And Welcome....wish Ya Well........linda

weeble40
12-07-08, 17:46
welcome to NMP hope to see you around sometime

Emma xxx