PDA

View Full Version : help!!

kaijo
02-07-08, 08:45
Hi everyone i have just joined this in the hope that people out there feel the same as i do, i know thats a silly thing to say as i know there are but it really makes you feel as if you are the only one.

well im 23 with a great boyfriend and a son, i've always had a very mild case of heatlh anxiety i think but around a year ago it got worse and now every day at the moment i am overtaken by the feeling im going to drop dead of sudden adult death syndrome, i hate the way this feels.

Im just hoping someone out there feels the same as me and can give me some advice please,

Thanks in advance

Jo xx

Vinny
02-07-08, 09:30
Hi Jo

Please try not to let this health anxiety rule your life.

You are a young, healthy 23 yr old, you will not drop dead!! The feelings we experience are so real but it's really just our mind playing tricks on us.

I started having health anxieties at a young age and thought I would die but I'm now 51 and I it didnt happen!!

Take Care xx

Janieb
02-07-08, 09:32
Heya Jo,

Welcome! I do suffer from a similar thing, ever since the birth of my son I have been totally petrified of sudden death of any kind, I think it all stems from the fact I don't want to be without my son or my husband.

I am currently working with a Therapist using CBT, I read a lot of self help books, many recommended by my Therapist and some which I have found on here, just trying to eleminate the negative feelings out of my mind and striving to live for the now.

Some days are better than others it's hard work staying positive! wouldn't have though so, just trying to keep my mind as occupied as possible with good thoughts.

How old is your little boy?

Take care,
Jane

kaijo
02-07-08, 09:35
thank you for your reply, maybe theres hope for me yet! although i dont feel that way at the moment haha

Cathy V
02-07-08, 11:03
Hi Kaijo and welcome to nmp. You'll find alot of ladies on the site suffered from health anx after the birth of a baby, must have something to do with the hormones, so maybe with time it will be less of a problem for you. If youve always suffered from it in a milder way then chances are it will still be around, but as Vinny has said, try not to let it rule your life. There are alot of us 'oldies' on here who have suffered for many years and its only when we look back that we see how much life we have wasted through this awful HA.

I did post a thread about my feelings on the subject a few weeks ago, but basically its that it started for me when i was 22, when my heart started to miss a few beats (ectopics) and from then i was expecting the heart attack. Im now 54, had 4 children, 3 grandchildren, 2 husbands, numerous house moves and finally last year a country move, and im still waiting to have the heart attack. 32 years is a long time waiting to die every day dont you think?
And the saddest thing is that i let it happen and i let it change me and effect my kids as they were growing up...dont let it happen to you.

Its horrible and its uncomfortable but its only anxiety. Keep posting and you'll see this for yourself and hopefully it will set you on the road to your recovery.

Take care
Cathy xxx :flowers:

kaijo
02-07-08, 12:19
My lil boy is 4 now so not so lil anymore haha, thank you for you reply they make me feel im not alone
xxxx

kaijo
02-07-08, 13:05
i have appointment on the 30th of july for my first councelling session i think CBT too i hope it helps.....

marie1974
02-07-08, 13:47
hiya and welcome, just wanted to say CBT is great and worked wonders for me, i have had 9 sessions so far and its made me much more confident and i think about stuff in a different way, i get homework to do too which is quite good, i have learnt loads about myself. hugs xx

Janieb
02-07-08, 14:06
yeah that happens with me as well, I get some homework to go and investigate or look up. It can be interesting really has helped me a lot