PDA

View Full Version : Afraid at nightime

worriedGrace
02-07-08, 16:27
My husband has to go away this weekend and I shall be on my own for 3 nights. This does not happen very often and from past experience I become very anxious and get little sleep mainly because I keep the light on and play the radio all night. Workmates think I am mad to be such a scaredy cat at my age but it is just how I am. I slept with a little light on until I left home to be married! It's not a fear of burglars it's more of the bogey man type.As soon as I close my eyes I become anxious. Any suggestions on how to beat this fear?

mlondon
02-07-08, 17:06
How about rather than having a radio on playing some relaxation/meditation music and using a dimmly lit light?

mothermac
02-07-08, 17:18
Hi worriedGrace,
I have been like you when my husband has gone away.He doesn't go away that much thank god but I do know what you mean when you say"anxious feelings kick in when I close my eyes".It's because you know you are alone and it's nightime and it's quiet. I used to listen to music very faintly on a walkman,with earplugs on and before I knew it was morning. Watch tv until your'e really tired then you won't lie awake for ages,or stay maybe one night with friends or family if you can. Everything is ok you know and there is no bogeyman just little ole you and all your neighbours. Come on no panic if you really can't sleep and you will feel better chatting away.
Take care pet and hope it all goes fine,he will be back before you know it!
Love Mothermac xxxx

petmad
02-07-08, 21:46
I enjoy it when my husband works nights as I relax more and can do my own thing so focus on something you enjoy doing, eat choccie watch a film read a book and don't think of being alone. Get yourself a dog, best company ever!

Zingara
02-07-08, 21:56
I know exactly what you mean about the bogey man, I am exactly the same! I worked for some time at the Crown court and know a good deal of the local burglars personally...none of them very scary, really. But when I'm alone in the house I always imagine myself as the victim in an episode of Midsomer Murders! I get teased about it a lot because I have a background in criminology and have done various studies on victimhood and fear of crime etc.
I generally find watching comedies helps... that and spending most of the evening on the phone to someone so as not to feel so alone. xx