PDA

View Full Version : Going on holiday with GAD

popsy
03-07-08, 11:06
Hi Guys, am seeking words of wisdom!

I suffer from GAD, and have been for the past 6mths very very poorly with it, recently though have been doing much better with the help of meds and support from psychiatrist and CPN.

Am pleased with the progress i have made but i still have this niggling fear in the back of my mind, looming is a holiday which has been booked for ages, in the last week in August, we are flying (eek) to France and hiring a car and staying in my aunties static home there for 7 days.

I am v v v worried about all of this, firstly i hate flying, secondly my partner and myself are taking our children on a plane for the first time so they are quite nervous too (they are 5 and 6). I just dont know how i am going to cope with the travelling, the children, the flight, the being away from home and the heat.

I feel like all the progress i have made could just all be ruined by me dreading the whole thing as it approaches nearer and nearer and then it all going wrong when i attempt it!!! :scared15:

I know i have to go, its all paid for and also i cant let the family down, everything we have been through recently with my illness makes me realise they so deserve this holiday.... Help, what the hell am i going to do???

Please help.... :scared15: :shrug: x x x x

mlondon
03-07-08, 16:56
Hi Charlie

I totally understand your fear. I went away last week and I must admit for the first day of travelling I was quite anxious, but I really relaxed into it when I was there and totally enjoyed myself, I was suprised at how fast the time went.

I recommend visualising all the nice things when you get there, lounging around, reading, playing with the kids, the excitement on the kids faces, spending time with your partner, crisp french bread and cheese, nice wine, fresh air etc.

I am going away tomorrow for the weekend and flying on my own, I am terrified but I am going to try and take my own advice!

Jaco45er
03-07-08, 16:58
I could have wrote that popsy, same week in August too.

MissiD
03-07-08, 17:34
Hi Popsy
I had a similar experience myself earlier in the year. A family holiday that had been booked before any inkling of GAD!! I too had been really bad and had been signed off work - although the rest did me good all I could think about was the holiday!! I was a mess the days leading up to the trip (I too was flying, to Portugal) and even at the point of getting to the airport was ready to turn around & run home! Once I was in the airport I think my subconcious or something kicked in (automatic pilot?) and although I felt awful I just stuck with it & told myself there was no going back. It's all a bit of a blur to be honest but I found once I was on the plane, sitting down in relative peace I was ok (it's the airport that bothers me most). I had a bit of a blip the first night away, mainly due to exhaustion I think but that soon passed.... you will have so much to do, new surroundings etc that you will I'm sure find yourself totally distracted from any anxiety that may be there. If you do have feelings of anxiety just remember that they will pass and that nothing bad will happen to you - relax & enjoy!! :D I found that just being away from the everyday/normal stresses & anxieties seemed to make things easier to cope with.
Despite having done that I wasn't convinced that I'd ever be able to do it again but you know, slowly I'm starting to feel it may just be possible & am even 'considering' (I wouldn't go further than that at the moment!) a trip to see family in Sweden!
You can do it too!!:yesyes:
Just take your time & remember also that it's normal to feel anxious about flying/travelling etc.... lots of people do who don't suffer from GAD.
Best of luck!
Mel x

lizzie29
03-07-08, 17:57
Hi

I too find it hard to go away. As you're going to France, the flight hopefully won't be too long. Make sure you take a book or something, or some games to play with your kids. My sister used to be very scared of flying, but having kids helped her - she had to stay calm for their sakes, and having to focus on them took her mind off it. Hopefully it'll help you too.
When I'm going away, I focus on the halfway point - you're going for a week, so focus on 3.5 days. Once you've managed that the rest is all downhill and because you've already done the first half, there's no reason why you can't do the same again!
I was absoluetly petrified about going to Portugal two years ago for two weeks, and I was fine, so sure you will be too!

janeybaby25
03-07-08, 18:08
im off to menorca tomorrow & bricking it! I feel your pain! xxx

milly jones
03-07-08, 19:37
pops hun,
i dont have probs with flying hun, but the airport is my hassle. i try and make sure i have everything organised just so to prevent attacks of anx.

i usually find that once im away and start to relax, i actually enjoy myself. i also ask my hb to take on any silly worries like ensuring my son behaves etc so i have less to wind me up. i also like to have time to myself away from the others, praps just to read or take a shower in peace.

some of the above suggestions are really good ideas to help the week pass anx free too.

it will be ok pops, loads of hugs hunny

and remember u can text me lol

milly xx