PDA

View Full Version : just wondering!

helenclaire
04-07-08, 09:35
Hi,
I was just sitting here wondering how many of us had actually had their worse fears come true.
For instance has anyone who has a fear of heart attacks ever actually had one.
My biggest fear is fainting and although i have had feelings of faintness just about everyday for the last 8 years i have never actually passed out.
However although i should take comfort from this i am still convinced i will faint every time i feel uneasy and start to panic, no matter what i tell myself i still have this fear and it wont go away it seems to be ingrained in my head.
Anyway it was just a thought.
Take care
Helen:unsure:

Steven1971
04-07-08, 10:14
Hi Helen,
I have been worrying about dieing since I was about 8 or 9 and have dragged my imaginary disease riddled body up to the ripe old age of 36! Still no sign of the grim reaper despite my fears!:D Eventually as happens to us all I will be proved right-but what a waste of mental effort it will have been. I suppose if we wait long enough the things we fear may well come to pass, we should just try not waste the time we have until then with needless worry. Still trying to put that plan into action though.
Take Care,

Steven

JoT
04-07-08, 11:04
Yup me too, since I was little I was always fretting about some bizarre illness, being sick in front of people, fainting etc. none of these happened and I'm now 35!

The funny thing is when I did have a serious medical emergency (placenta abruption when I was 35 weeks preg). It was all very dramatic but I was totally calm and matter of fact about it - throughout my pregnancy i suffered really bad anxiety but not at the time it was a life threatening situation. All was fine in the end thankfully!

Cathy V
04-07-08, 12:26
Because of almost a lifetime of suffering from (benign) missed heartbeats, ive been waiting for my heart attack for 32 years! im now 54 and the chances of actually having one are on the up, but strangely enough ive stopped having so much fear of it! Since ive been on nmp ive realised that because there are so so so many of us with the same symptoms, and also looking back down the years, i know ive truly wasted all those years worrying about my health, and examining every twitch.

I do feel it for the younger members, and hope that they realise how much they are missing with constant worrying. Its not easy to ignore the fear i know, but hopefully just reading posts from the older ppl on nmp will reassure them enough to help them in time to get off the merry-go-round of anx and meds.

Best wishes
Cathy xxxx :)

nikita
04-07-08, 12:36
i have had fear of having heart attack or cancer for 18 years. IN all those wasted years worrying the most serious disease ive had was anxiety itself.

bab
04-07-08, 13:00
Such a good point - I worry about the same things every day but im scared if i stop worrying then im tempting fate

Bill
05-07-08, 02:58
We worry about health fears but are afraid to stop worrying about them so we continue to worry about our health every day!:shrug: Maybe it takes a leap of faith for a day to prove to ourselves we've no reason to worry about our symptoms so that the symptoms that cause us to worry then also stop.:winks: