PDA

View Full Version : Bowel cancer!

clarkybird
04-07-08, 12:03
Can anyone tell me?Back in march i had blood tests.This was for anaemia,full blood count,liver function test and thyroid and the y cam e back ok.

I am convinced I have bowel cancer but if i did have it shurley this wouldve come up as an abnormaility in my blood yeah??

This morning I went to the toilet and i had a little bit of blood in my stool.Now as you all know this is a terrible thing to see if you suffer from health anxiety..Surely if i had the C word i would have constant blood in my stools??

Any advise would be appreciated?

Thanks

nikita
04-07-08, 12:07
did you have to strain to "go"? if so blood would be from anal tear, ive had this, I get IBS and if ive had alternating diarrhoea/constipation it would happen, just slightly
did you eat anything that could be red
is it anytime round your period? ovulation?

marie1974
04-07-08, 12:09
hiya yes something would show up in tests so please dont worry, u could have anything from piles which i have had loads sometimes they hurt sometimes they dont, if u been constipated u get bits of blood, also if u suffer IBS mayb that can cause this too. but its not serious so dont worry hun. keep busy and dont giv yourself to much thinking time.

clarkybird
04-07-08, 12:13
Hi Guys,

Thanks you so much for your quick replies.Why does out health anxietys play with us like this???

I do have ibs wuite badly..Terrible trapped wind...

I am just so scared that it is something more severe,but like you both said a normal blood test wouldve picked up any abnormality?

Are any of you the same?As soon as i think about the pain etc,i get pains in my bum and right hand side?

Thanks x

joyce1980
04-07-08, 13:26
Hello again!!

I had this fear and I also had blood, It was from constipation and very normal.

Did you know you really need to be over 40 to even think it might be bowel cancer?!

And if you hyave ibs then you may have colitis or piles both of which show blood.

I understand that this is your main fear at the moment, may I ask how much blood and what colour is the blood, also was it on the stool/in it or was it just when you wiped?

joyce1980
04-07-08, 13:29
Also the pain is most likely gas i get that pain in my lower abdomen

Also if you are in doubt at all just pop into your Dr, Anxiety is not your fault and Drs understand that

joyce1980
04-07-08, 13:46
Anyway, A wee bit of bright red blood is usually a pile or tear from hard stools and straining.

Any blood thats darker slimy or is running out, you should see you Dr BUT EVEN then it will most likely be ibs or piles

Hope you feel better soon.

worriedGrace
04-07-08, 15:23
I know how worried you feel because the same thing happened to me. My doctor realised that I though it was bowel cancer and sent me for a barium enema and a sigmoidoscopy (camera up the bum). Everything was fine and all I have is a bit of diverticulitis that can be controlled by diet. Now I have actually seen my bowel on a screen I am not so frightened of it.

I know how wretched health anxiety makes you feel and I hope you soon feel better.

precious78
27-07-08, 18:21
Along with feeling awful today anxiety wise my panic was worse when I went to the toilet today (had runny stools) and some blood came out afterwards. It wasn't just a little bit on the toilet paper and it happened twice. I am petrified now that it is something worse because my bottom feels really sore and like there are pains down there.

This has come out of the blue. I hadn't been straining or anything. The blood was bright red so I figure that's from lower down? But I am worried it was too much for a pile or tear? Surely that would just be streaking. Not a large bit of blood?

nomorepanic
27-07-08, 18:33
I get really bad piles and there is an awful lot of blood that comes out with them.

You can get the doc to easily check for piles and any tear and then get some treatment for it.

precious78
27-07-08, 19:00
I thought they usually came with straining though. I have a feeling of pressure down there now and uncomfortable. Does this sounds likely to be piles/fissure?

Venus Calling
27-07-08, 20:59
I have a close friend that suffered bowel cancer and she went for months where when she wanted to go to the toilet she had to go NOW. She described what came out as fowl smelling (far worse the a normal stool), no more than a spoonful and it 'exploded' out of her to put it bluntly and more often than not it was a 'wasted' trip. She didn't pass any blood. She wasn't ill, didn't feel ill or look ill. Her doctor sent her for test immediately and it was diagnosed straight away. She's had her operation which thankfully was a success.

I personally think, when you are genuinely ill with something serious your body knows and let's you know differently. This feeling we get thinking we are sick when we are not isn't the same. When I think back to serious health problems I have had in the past I never once felt afraid, yet now I have these anxiety attacks I think I am suffering and dying when in reality I am not. I have to keep telling myself this every time I feel a twinge or sensation I do not recognise and not let it take me over. As we all know, it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination.

petmad
27-07-08, 21:08
Hi
I have also had pains down there which is piles as had it checked by docs, when I had my second child blood poured from there I went for a wee and the blood came out I could feel it, I know how scary it is but its piles more than likely.
Go to docs and if they examine you they can put your mind at rest, only way else you will be fretting, I know I would x

leonardomonkey
27-07-08, 22:20
Hey

I have same thing, blood every couple of days went to the doc and was told have piles and ibs with anal fissure. Also have pilonidal cyst which leaks

Sometimes its sore down there other times no pain.

It scared me out of my mind the first time because my father had bowel cancer.

It does still freak me sometimes, but i know its ok.

Hope this helps.

nomorepanic
27-07-08, 22:57
For those with piles - you do know that you can get them injected to reduce them and reduce the bleeding? It is painless and simple

joyce99
28-07-08, 00:39
the blood count would be low if it was cancer as its absorbed in your blood count as ive been through this also if its fresh red blood its nothing to worry about if your starining or constipated you will get that

precious78
28-07-08, 10:40
Been told that if there is pain with it or discomfort then it is likely to be a tear which can look like there is a lot of blood. Feel a bit better now about it but feeling a little anxious about going to the toilet again even though the last time I went there was no blood. Like I need anything else to be anxious about!

leonardomonkey
28-07-08, 11:06
Try not to worry about it too much. I used to worry about it all the time and would end up having to force a movement which would cause me to re-open the tear.

You can get stool softener which will make it easier to pass without causing damage. I used for a couple of weeks until the tear closed up.

I think you can just buy it over the counter.

precious78
28-07-08, 11:10
But that's why I was worried because I wasn't straining and the stools were very soft. Anyway I'm trying to forget about it now until I get a little pain. I have got some cream so hopefully that'll do the trick.

leonardomonkey
28-07-08, 11:51
Also try get one of those cushions that are shaped like a ring, they really help. Do you work at a job where you are seated?

precious78
28-07-08, 12:21
Yeah, in my seat all day long. The pain has eased off today since I put some of the cream on but yesterday was agony and I felt weak thinking about it! I did what you just suggested and shaped a cushion so I didn't have to put any pressure on it.

leonardomonkey
28-07-08, 12:49
Cushion should help a good bit, when mine were really bad i was working in sales so i had my butt in a car seat all day. Cushion really helped relive it. Also whenb i got home i would lie on my side watching t.v

precious78
28-07-08, 12:50
Thanks for the advice. Touch wood it feels ok at the moment.

leonardomonkey
28-07-08, 13:15
If it gets any worse go to the doc since they can give you a prescription for cream that is stronger then over the counter stuff, i cant remember the name of it though.