PDA

View Full Version : New admission!

Superturtle
04-07-08, 16:47
Hello

I have felt rubbish for about 10 years. It started one day after I overdosed on the caffeine, giving me palpitations. Since then, I have suffered an extreme fear of my heart. This has expanded now into a range of other symptoms:

- fear of heart attack
- ectopic heartbeats (thousands per day)
- panic attacks
- general anxiety
- fear of doctors / hospitals / etc etc
- other fears such as being trapped socially, or in a meeting, or in an environment where I can't get out.
- a whole range of variable stress symptoms

I have had loads of tests including ECG, ECG stress test, 24hour monitors etc, and the general diagnosis is that its all in my head.

Despite all of the above, I am actually quite a competent person and productive person! I just wish this stuff would go away and let me get on with my life.

I have sort of known this, but I guess, like a lot of other people refused to believe it! Having read this site, I am now diagnosing myself as having panic disorder, and i hope this is the start of my recovery.

So, I am 'coming out'. This site has given me a lot of hope, and I am aiming to admit my problem, and come to terms with getting over it.

I have recently been doing some Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction which is quite helpful - this is my main focus. ie: thoughts are things, and rather than running away from my emotions, I am here to accept them.

I'm sure this will be a journey, but hopefully I will have some friends here to share it with!

polly123
04-07-08, 19:00
Hiya Superturtle
Welcome to NMP, you will make many good friends on this site, people are so kind and helpfull, Hope to see you in chat.
POLLY

tHamera
07-07-08, 04:19
hey there,

your story is very similar to mine. started to have "nervous illness" about 6 months ago, did all the blood tests, EKG's, Stress Tests, 24hr monitors, etc.. all came back negative. i started therapy, which helped a bit but i hit a wall. Then i found his site and the works of Dr.Claire Weekes and that alone helped out quite a bit. The thing that helped was just knowing that other people were having these symptoms and they are physically healthy individuals. Once i accepted the fact that its was all "nerves", i began to slowly get better. i am still not 100%, but i am looking forward to getting back to normal.