PDA

View Full Version : Hello, can you help please

Caterina
23-04-05, 22:04
Hi

I have suffered from higher and lower degrees of anxiety and panic attacks for many many years, sometimes in a very distressing way and some other times only having the mildest anxiety, or even nothing for months.

I am now writing here because of an incident that happened to me on Thursday night.

Premise: I have been very stressed and overworked for a long time now, with work outside the home plus a family and house to run, plus my father (in another country) suffering from a serious illness - so, enough stress to send me into a serious state of panic.

Went to bed at 11pm feeling ok, fell asleep straight away. At 11:30 I woke up with the most awful fast heartbeat, dizzyness, difficulty in breathing, tunnel vision, you name it, I had it. Tried to control it with slow breathing, went to the bathroom (nearly fell over) and it got worse and worse. Asked my husband to call the night GP but the feeling of faintness got so strong that I thought I was having some sort of stroke. By this time I was also shaking very hard and my speech was impaired, I could hardly get words out and had a funny 'lisp', my face was all tight and tingly and I was absolutely terrified.

I managed to ask my husband to call an ambulance, when the operator heard me speak he said they were on their way straight away.

The ambulancemen came and I managed to walk into the ambulance, my husband came with me. They took my pulse and pressure and they were quite high but as we moved towards the hospital it got better and i could manage to speak a bit better. They asked if I ever had a panic attack and I said Yes but not for a long time, but this one DID NOT FEEL like a panic attack.

They took me into the hospital and told the nurse that I was having a panic attack. So instead of being seen by a doctor straight away I was shifted over to the A&E triage for nurse assessment, having to queue with lots of people in various states of bleeding and drunkenness etc (not a relaxing situation - a drunk guy accosted me as he wanted to show me the crown that had fallen off his tooth, I went nearly mad with fear, luckily my husband came with me and he sat near me straight away).

Eventually I was seen by a nurse then a doctor, got 2 ECGs, blood tests and blood pressure taken, until after 3 am when the doctor came and said that all the tests are clear, ECGS fine and it was only a panic attack.

He said that I should be glad that it was only a panic attack and need to move on etc (He meant well, I have to say he was extremely gentle).

Now, I have had panic attacks before and I KNOW what they feel like, and manage to control them to a point, and when they are really bad I pop a 2mg valium and wait them out until I calm down. But this one really DID NOT feel like a panic attack.

First of all I woke up with it already in full swing, then the feelings of dizziness in the face and tingling in the legs are not a familiar feature, then also I did not DID NOT hyperventilate - I am sure of that as I was ASLEEP!!! Is this normal? Why is everybody saying I had a panic attack?

I am finding msyelf now with the classic anxiety of the situation, I am SCARED to go to bed and sleep. Yesterday I took a preventative valium (which I hate to do because I want to save them only for real extreme situations and don't want to get addicted), and I am also suffering from some form of post traumatic stress, where I am re-living the event over and over and can't stop crying.

When I spoke to my mum by phone she asked me whether I suffer from sleep apnoea, as it sounds like one of its symptoms (fast heartbeat due to lack of oxygen in the body etc) or maybe it is a beginning of menopause symptom (I am 47 but still menstruating and no signs of hot flushes).

Has anyone got a similar experience?? How could I WAKE UP in the middle of a panic attack? and if it is not panic attack, what could it be?
I am terrified and desperate and have cried on and off all day and don't know what to do.

Caterina

Meg
23-04-05, 22:32
Caterina ,

Its really hard to tell. The dizziness and tingling are indeed common features of panic as are the other symptoms.

Waking in a night painic is also really horrid and often brings on symptoms that you haven't had before.

What to do - Unfortunately the only way is to try. At least if you do wake with another oen you know that it will pass so lie quietly with your husband gently talking to you for reassurance and let it pass.

The night facial symptoms were probably blood pressure related and thus transient.

If your periods are as regular as ever still its unlikely to be that starting with such dire symptoms and with sleep apnoea , if you're not known to already have it it tends to creep up gently and is associated with snoring and misisng the odd breath first.

I hope that as nights pass without any more of these you will be able to put it behind you ...

As life is extra stressful it may be a warning shot across your bows that you need to look after yourself better and be gentle for a while .

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

seh1980
24-04-05, 09:42
hi Caterina,

Welcome!! :)

I think all panic attacks are different. When I had my first panic attack, I was put on meds for epilepsy because that's what the doctors thought it was. My eyes rolled back and forth and my body was shaking all over. Ever since, my panic attacks have been a lot more 'normal'. I still worry to this day that it really was a seizure and not just a panic attack but that fear is just in my head.

It's very normal for people with anxiety to assume that there is something more seriously wrong with them. It is normal to wake up in the middle of the night having a panic attack. I have never experienced this myself but I know quite a few people who it has and does happen to.

It sounds like you are having a pretty stressful time so it is no wonder that you had a panic attack. I hope you feel better soon!!

Sarah :D

Caterina
24-04-05, 14:12
Thank you for your replies, they are very informative and supportive.

Last night, after reading a lot of the posts here and most of the website pages (some with my husband, who found them also very interesting and recognised a lot of what was happening to me the night before) I felt much more reassured and was able to go to sleep without taking a valium.

I shall keep coming back to this wonderful facility as it has really given me a lease of hope. I shall also make an appointment with my GP to ask for CBT (if it is available on the NHS).

Thanks again all

Caterina

seh1980
24-04-05, 14:17
hello Caterina,

Glad that you have found the forum useful!! Yes, CBT is available on the NHS - I start mine next month.

Sarah :D

Caterina
24-04-05, 14:20
Glad to hear it, hope my GP will come up trumps with a referral, she is great, really human and trustworthy (unlike some GPs I met in the past) but unfortunately she retires in June (SIGH!) so I really have to act fast!

Caterina

Meg
24-04-05, 14:43
Thats all really positive news Caterina ..
Well done .

Glad it helped your husband too - it can all be very scary for them too not knowing whats going on..

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Sue K with 5
25-04-05, 01:13
Hi
I am so sorry to hear of your awful experience, I have something similar and had it for a number of years as well, i call them night attacks, you can be very relaxed and about to go into deep sleep when suddenly you wake with a start start hyperventilating yourbody feels numb, and you feel completely out of control, it is so scary, I have had pins and needles with it, numbness and i have to wake my husband up occassionally, sometime i lay there afterwards crying from the whole experience, its horrible, you are under trmendous stress at the moment, and your body reacts in very differant ways, i know mine does, and it always feels worse at night This is a great place for support and help and I know you will get through it with the right help and support, your not alone, up until a weeks ago i though i was but finding this site has helped emensly

Take Care

Sue

scknight

lainey
25-04-05, 08:59
Hi Caterina

Welcome to the forum, I'm glad that all the info has been of some help to you and that you keep feeling reassured by this wonderful site

Take care

Elaine x

Caterina
25-04-05, 11:58
Dear Susan, Lainey and all the others who replied to my message asking for help

Thanks for your replies and kind reassuring words - yes I also thought I was the only one in the world and felt like I was treated like a nutter in the hospital (gently, but still like a nutter - nothing 'really' wrong with me...). It is sad to know that this is happening to so many people and causing so much suffering, but at the same time comforting to know that it is a real illness AND not life-threatening in itself.

But is it really not life threatening in the long term? If it is true that stress is a cause of all sorts of other illnesses, should we not be taken seriously instead of dismissed by some health professionals as someone who 'got it all in the mind'?

I have now made an appointment with my GP and will discuss this issue with her - I know that she is fair and sensible and will give me real answers, I have known her for the last 17 years and she is not the sort of GP who will fob me off with a prescription for tranx (unless I really need them, that is). Shame that she is going, hopefully someone as good will take over (although I doubt it somehow...).

Watch this space, I shall let you know what she says after my Weds. appointment.

Love and best wishes to all

Caterina

Meg
25-04-05, 16:50
Its true that long term stress is not good for us and is involved with other illnesses so the sooner you can get it sorted the better.

Have an idea what you want from her when you visit your GP and make a list of points to discuss.

Meg

Karen
25-04-05, 18:16
Hi Caterina

Welcome to the forum.

I hope it goes well for your with your doctor and you get the help and support you need.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.