PDA

View Full Version : Panicky thoughts!

mothermac
06-07-08, 03:40
Hi all
Yes it's 3.30 in the goddam morning again and I am up with the larks. I woke up suddenly with panicky thoughts so I got up. If I try lay with them they tend to get worse so I came on NP to calm down. Does anybody else have this happen in the night? I woke my hubby up this time but he was too immersed in sleep to help me really,he just mumbled something and turned over,never mind eh?
Panic with me tends to worsen the more I think "oh god I'm having a panic attack" it just fuels itself.
A very tired Mothermac xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

kellie
06-07-08, 09:51
Hiya hun, its 9.30am as im writeing this and hopefuly you are catching up on some sleep. Could you give us a run down on what you do with your day plz from the time you get up to the time you go to bed, and we can see if we can help you relax more for bed time.
Are you at a stage where you are going to bed worried and thinking about wakeing up in the night with the feelings?.
Have you talked to your doc about posiblely have some sleeping tabs for a few wks to help kick start you into sleep all night?
i used to wake up every night for about 3 months coughing and struggleing to breath feeling like my throat was closing up on me and panicing like hell. Thats how i found nmp, when i was jolted out my sleep by a chokeing sensation i sat and goggled panic attacks and it brought me here.
You can break this cycle but your realy have to put in the work as well so give me a run down of your day and the things you do and we can see what we can change.

take care

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxx

andrewc
06-07-08, 13:53
Hi there hun

I totally agree with what Kellie has to say. Panic attacks are brought about by a viscious cycle of negative thinking so this has to be broken in order for you to get rid of them. Please post and let us know what Kellie was asking.

Best regards

Andy

Liverbird67
06-07-08, 14:09
sending you a big hug mother mac hope you managed to get back to bed for some shut eye.

Debbie
xxxxxxxxxxxx

mothermac
06-07-08, 16:00
Hi everyone this fine sunday!
Thanks for all your replies,it is nice to know I am not alone in this,you are all invaluable help to me. In answer to Kellie's request for me to itemise what I do in any one day the reply to that is it is very difficult to write it down really. It depends on what my husband is doing ,he has been on annual leave the last 2 weeks anyway so the days have all been quite different. I usually get up about 8 am if he is at work as he tends to run his own schedule(he is an account manager) and then start the day's frivolities.My life has been a bit topsy turvey the last 6 months as we now teach our young daughter at home(for reasons I won't go into here)so any one day consists of crafts,lessons etc for about 3/4 hrs. Also I do the majority of the housework(Gary does help!),the shopping etc. I do have a hobby however and that is gardening,I love it and my garden is lovely(I have a small garden at the front and a large at the back-the back being the best) I de-stress this way and tend to spend a lot on it. I know why I have panic attacks in the night (the gp hit on it actually)my father died in the night from a heart attack and my anxiety I am feeling stems from this. I do tend to check on my daughter sleeping a lot and my husband and I think it is always in my sub-oncious to get up and make sure everything is ok. I have asked the gp for some sleeping tablets but she has refused on a a number of occasions as she thinks I will have more problems if I sucumb to those. I have been referred for counselling and am awaiting the appointment so I will let you all know how I get on.
I don't like milky drinks but I will try and have one to see if they help.The night is also worse for us anxiety sufferers anyway because I think the quiet and the fact that everyone else is asleep makes worries and concerns seem bigger than they really are. I have recently lost my job as well and financial worries are big in my mind. I have had no luck in finding another yet but I will keep slogging away.
Thanks again for all your concern and we will speak soon I hope.
Love Mothermac xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

tafflass
06-07-08, 17:24
hi mothermac
i have a lot of problems relaxing, have you tried meditation cd,s using headphones before bed and no coffee or chockys after 4 or 5 oclock eeeekkk!! i know so so not fair lol.
give it ago maybe? i was on sleeping tabs for 2 years not good, yes they help but they are so adictive.
i find camomile tea helps me, a lavender bath and my meditation cd, (with headphones), it stops outside noises destracting your relaxation. give it ago you never know.
i use holocync solution meditation it actualy makes me fall asleep, and its propper sleep not just light sleeping.
hope i have been of some help xtafflassx

heatwave
06-07-08, 17:47
I too have these panicky thoughts upon waking. I feel like I can't breathe and want to run out of my bedroom. I haven't found a solution to the problem but I can now go back to sleep again instead of getting up and pacing the hallway.

As the previous poster said, relaxation CDs and tapes are good for helping you relax. I have one given to me by my psychologist which helps relax me if I'm getting panicky. In fact I'm off to listen to it now!

All the very best,
Sue