PDA

View Full Version : Panic in the gym

seb_uk
06-07-08, 22:24
Hi,

I've been suffering from ectopics and irregular heart beats for what seems like forever. I'm on Better Blockers and things have been ok recently. I tried to make some positive steps and start going to the gym. I stopped taking the betablockers and am trying to get in shape. When in the gym i checked my heart rate and it was very high even with light excersise. get up to 178 beats per minute with just some gentle jogging. It was really scary and i have decided to go back on the meds and find it hard to go back to the gym.

Has anyone one else had a fast heartbeat when excercising? I know it sounds like a stupid question but i'm very sensitive to my heart and what it does. A racing heart for me is very scary.

Cathy V
06-07-08, 23:34
Hi Seb, yes I also take beta-blockers and they do say that its hard to get your heart-rate up to the required level for cariovasular exercise whilst on them (i have a problem with weight gain on them at themoment which is driving me potty!) But the fact that your heart rate was 178 without them is really ok, this is whats supposed to happen, its just that you're not used to feeling it as the beta-blockers slow down your heart. I too suffer with ectopics and sometimes flutters.

I think exercising without them is better than with them, as they can limit your stamina. I would carry on if i was you...i only wish i could come off them too but i was given them because im now an old woman of 54 :ohmy: in the menopause and for the first time ever developed high bp, and because i do get migraines sometimes too, they thought of beta-blockers rather than the normal bp meds so im kinda stuck with them.

Was the decision to re-start the beta-blockers your own decision or the docs? and did he/she say they thought your heart rate was too high while exercising? If you are making these decisions about your meds alone, then it might be better to discuss it with the doc to see if going back on them was necessary.

Cathy xxx :)

JoT
07-07-08, 18:19
This happened to me when I was on the cross trainer last time i was at the gym (2 mths ago, just when I was going into this lastest anx phase of mine).

I find that these machines make me more aware of my heart rate, hence it makes me anxious, hence my heart rate goes up. Do you think that this is what happened with you?

Exercise gives me panic attacks which is annoying cos I want to get fit!

precious78
08-07-08, 13:26
I get this too. The machines have built in monitors where you put your hands and mine goes as high as almost 160 when I'm on the treadmill doing an incliment climb. It really put me off going at first. I dreaded going and was getting chest pains and pain in my throat when I was there.

Really I know it's because I'm getting anxious about it and also I am really unfit, so I know I need to keep it up.

I also get very dizzy when I get off the machines, like my legs are going to go and I can feel my heart thudding all over. I know it's normal but I can't convince myself of this!

seb_uk
08-07-08, 21:38
Its mad i know, i want to get fit but a racing heart really freaks me out, i might try swimming or something without a heart monitor, its not logical because the more cardio i do my resting heart rate should come dome, thanks for your replies though, makes me feel better that i'm not alone with this, i don't think i help myself with my lifestyle and i know that some changes will help but i guess i'm finding it hard.

cassi23
08-07-08, 22:03
Hi darlin,

i don't even have to exercise for my heart to just start beating fast! I know how you feel as i find this very scary.

Obviously you know it is normal for you when exercising, and perhaps as you get fitter your heart will accomodate this-now all you have to do is tell yourself that it is normal and that you are fine and you shouls expect this to happen!

Hope you feel better soon but don't worry hun, you are not alone.

Cassi xxx

pedropanic
13-11-08, 10:37
This is me all over. My first major panic attack happened at the gym, I ended up the ER freaking out that I was dying, so exercising can be difficult but I refuse to let panic attacks stand in my way.

Just remember you have every right to go to your doctor and discuss any concerns you have about your heart, but try and balance that with some realistic expectations of what your heart will do during exercise. A source of comfort can be checking out safe heart-rate ranges while exercising, you might be surprised at just how high your heart rate can safely be sustained during a workout!

As everyone has said, your heart rate SHOULD increase during exercise, but I completely understand the impulse to check your pulse 5,000 during a workout and scrutinising every nuance in your heart rhythm searching for that sign you just KNOW means you're about to have a heart attack!

Set yourself some realistic, medium-term fitness goals and reward yourself if you achieve them!

Mikke
24-11-08, 03:02
178 bpm is actually considered a very high pulse if you are running slow. This is depending on your age ofcourse, but that bmp rate is near my max pulse. However, it's quite normal that your heart rate increases dramatically when you work out (and that's a good thing for your heart). Your 178bpm it's probably nothing to worry about, you are either seriously out of shape or the betablockers have made your heart a bit "confused".

I get racing heartbats from weightlifting (which is my hobby), and especially if I do squats, chin ups or barbell rows. It's a bit scary :blush: But when you work out, it makes sense your heart works out too. I try not to think about it, and wear an ipod instead of listening to my heart.

Sleepless999
24-11-08, 08:22
Hi Seb - I used to get EXACTLY the same. I go to the gym three times a week and it was after a visit there that I had my first panic attack. I could feel my heart rate rising before I had even started and it was because I was anticipating problems! I knew that on the 3rd piece of equipment, I would start to get ectopics and I now know that I MADE them happen with my anxiety. I now take a rest between each excercise and sit on the floor and take some long slow breaths - I am able to reduce my heart rate like this and then get on with the next thing. It also helped when I took a friend along with me - she did her own thing, but I knew if anything happened that there was someone with me who knew the situation - that helped a lot. Obviously excercise will increase your heart rate, but my anxiety was increasing it WAY more!