PDA

View Full Version : Summer Holiday

Dee01
07-07-08, 02:37
Hello All,

Sorry if this sounds self important.......

I had booked a 4 week holiday accross the States last year and was looking forward to it. It was a trip my friend had done last year on her own. You book through an agency and arrive at your destination to meet 12 other people you don't know. My friend had a fab time so I was really excited about it. I knew it was the States, so medical care would be top notch!!! (once a worrier, always a worrier!!):doh:

In the meantime, I took 3 weekend breaks throughout the year and on each one had a major panic attack. The only thing I wanted to do when it happened was to go home. All enjoyment was lost and the trips were pretty much a disaster!
As a result, the thoughts of my big trip was terriffing:weep: . I did't know how I was going to cope with 12 new people if something happened.

I decided I was going to go regardless and if anything happened, I could pull out and go home early. I set off on 8th June and arrived in LA after a 12 hour flight. I had the best holiday EVER :yahoo:. I only had one very mild panic attack that I could totally cope with. In fact, one of the other girls on the trip had her first panic attack while we were travelling. I talked her down and explained what was happening to her. It was so liberating.

I was diagnosed with panic disorder about 4/5 years ago. I have been trying to come off Lexapro for the last year and a half. I had hit a brick wall when I found this site. Now I feel confident that I can cut my dosage once and for all. I'm so glad I didn't let my fears stop me from travelling!!!

Enough patting myself on the back now!!!

Take care all,

Dee x:bighug1:

Cathy V
07-07-08, 09:05
Hi Dee, well done you! I have flown 4 times to uk from germany since i moved here last year, and can just about cope with these short flights. Im due for another one end of the month and putting my coping techniques to the test even now 2 weeks before i go! I can never imagine a long-haul flight or travelling so far away alone. I guess sometimes weve just got to make ourselves do it or we wouldnt get to go anywhere would we? What a brilliant achievment.

Best wishes
Cathy xxx :flowers:

milly jones
07-07-08, 13:25
wow dee well done hunny

sounds like its a good job u were there to help a fellow sufferer

really u should be proud of ur achievements

milly xx :hugs:

Alabasterlyn
07-07-08, 13:27
Well done, sounds like you not only overcame a lot of your fears but managed to help someone else too :hugs:

Southern_Belle
07-07-08, 14:00
Dee,

What a fabulous success story. You faced your fears and then not only went on the trip but helped someone face theirs too. I bet you feel on top of the world right now! I know you will be able to get off your meds. Great job for going on such a long flight too. I'm glad you had a good time in my country and I someday want to visit yours. Congratulations!!!

Many hugs,

Laura