PDA

View Full Version : Breathing!!

andrewjdavid2005
24-04-05, 22:08
I have quite bad asthma and recently i feel really out of breathe like im dying or suffocating, it is really worrying me i went to the doctors and got some pills for my chest ive taken the weeks course and nothing has changed and my inhalers arnt helping so im wondering can anxiety make you feel like you are gagging for breathe and suffocating 24 hours a day? as i feel like it constantly and it feels terrible!
I also feel very weak and faint but im more worried about the breathing! any suggestions what i can do? and is it anxiety causing this as with having asthma its hard to tell, if i was having a severe asthma attack i would be wheezing and have a very tight chest but i havent got that!

seh1980
24-04-05, 22:12
Anxiety has made me feel short of breath in the past - like I can't take a really deep breath. Is this what you mean? :D

tattybear
24-04-05, 22:14
Hi Andrew

It does sound like anxiety as as you said...if it was an asthema attack you would be wheezing and coughing, so the fact that your not would suggest it is anxiety.

I suffer with this too - I had a stage today when I felt like i couldnt breath properly and that my throat was closing up, which then made me panic and made it worse! Its a vicouse circle. I also think somtimes i cant swallow...I dont know if this is the same for you too?

Its hard to do and easy for somone to say, but the thing is to try not to let yourself focus too much on your breathing etc - i know its hard as i find it hard too....but i also know that when i manage to take my mind of it, I stop feeling so out of breath...try to occupy your mind with somting else and try not to let your breathing etc interfer too much.

If you are worried, the im sure your doctor will be happy to have a chat and just put your mind at rest.

Hope it gets easier for you..

Tatty B xx

andrewjdavid2005
24-04-05, 22:15
Well sometimes it feels like im not breathing at all, i notice that i yawn and sigh alot but it feels like now and again i have to try and take a deep breath just to get back to breathing ok again but doesnt last long, feels strange, just feels like im not breathing properly at all!

tattybear
24-04-05, 22:18
Yep i am exactly the same.....I also think my heart has stopped beating too at the times when I think im not breathing, so I make myself take really deep breaths...as if it will get my heart pumping again [Duh!]

It really does sound like anxiety - ive accepted that mine is which makes it easier to deal with when i feel like i not breathing - i just remind myself its all ok and focus on somting else.

Tatty B xx

Meg
24-04-05, 22:24
It is really common. If you're not wheezing its unlikely to be asthma.

Are you happy that you know how to breathe abdominally ?

SOB: Cant get any air in (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=961)
SOB: general anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2576)
SOB: Reverse panic (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2246)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

sue447
25-04-05, 10:39
hi,
i get the same breathing symptoms as you as do alot of people, you are not alone, im constantly thinking about my breathing and it gets me very scared, as meg said its unlightly to be asthma attack, as you would wheeze with it,my 7 year old son suffers with asthma.
take care
luv sue

Muddled Mind
25-04-05, 13:58
I was so relieved to read your replys, as I too seem v. occupied with my breathing, especially at night, laying in bed and 'watching' my breathing. It seems I'm putting off going to bed until i'm exausted. I just wish I could stop thinking about the fact I have anxiety. What I would'nt give to feel 'normal' again.

cheryl