PDA

View Full Version : alcohol as a prop??

eljay
08-07-08, 00:30
Does anyone else find they drink too much to make themselves feel "normal"??

I drink too much anyway, normally 3 times a week but when I have an "episode" of anxiety it gets worse, I can drink half a bottle of spirits and then feel kind of normal, although im more prone to feelings coming out then, so cry where i would hold it in, I havent slept before 3am in a couple of weeks, then im anxious the next day and my problems are worse, I know the score but still drink to blot it out to feel ok for an hour I guess, its madness, im keeping my husband up or he wakes when i go to bed. Ive promised myself and hubby that IF i get over this episode [not a fitting word] and all is clear [see problems with tongue thread] then im going to cut drinking to a minimum and quit smoking as soon as I get back from hols in August [i dont even want to go] its no good me worrying about everything when I drink and smoke, I need to do what I can to help myself live longer.

pele33
08-07-08, 01:14
Hi i new to this forum but so glad i found it. The alchohol is a funny one you drink to blot out the anxiety but all it does is postpone the anxiety. I have had panic attacks for a year and a half and they are always much worse after a binge on the ale. Alchohol drains vit b12 from ur body and can lower blood sugar levels giving you feelings of anxiety and panic so its a no win situation.

tamo
08-07-08, 09:08
Eljay, I am so sympathetic towards your situation.I feel your pain and frustration.You do know that your drinking is not helping and that is a big plus for you.It takes time and great effort to finally put the drink down and sometimes we have to lose quite alot before that happens.
I have been in exactly the same position as you and used alcohol as a prop most of my adult life but haven't had a drink for a year now and week by week month by month everything got better and better.

You have admited yourself that drink isn't helping so the battle is well on the way to victory.

Well done and good luck

Tom

Cathy V
08-07-08, 11:16
Hi guys :D just been reading your posts and they confirm that maybe we need someone on here to turn to if we think we need to talk about our drinking. If you refer to the thread started by Wayne called 'blood test results' you will see what im on about. Dont know if you agree with the idea of him maybe becoming a bit of a counsellor for the ppl on here who need someone to talk to about alcohol (it would be in a seperate section) as there are many members who don't drink because of the meds, but i think that makes the ppl who do drink ontop of or instead of the meds feel they cant admit it too openly.

Anyway, if you have a read of waynes story and you feel he could be of service to us in this way then just add to his thread if you want to.

Take care all
Cathy xxx :chairfall:

Dr Kong, AKA Wayne
08-07-08, 11:49
Thanks Cathy, well I wouldnt be much of a counciler but happy to mention my own experiences of alcoholism.

Aljay, have you spoke to your GP about your drinking? that would be a good first move, if you find him/her not very understanding, then see someone else.
It was my third GP I saw that finaly referred me to an alcohol unit for detox.

If you need half a bottle of spirits to "feel normal" then it sounds like there is a bit of a problem.

By the way, don't be offended if I say something you may find erm.....scary, or uncomfortable etc etc.

I have asked the admin of this forum for an alcohol issues section, because I think there may be quite a few here who are scared to talk about it.
It is a very sensitive subject, and it is common to feel reluctant to admit to something like this.

More so if taking meds at the same time.

Well done to you Tamo for staying off it for a Year! thats great.

Also RE: Vitamins

Its lack of Vitamin B1 which is the most common with alcohol dependancy.
A lack of this vitamin can cause serious brain conditions called "Wernicke's encephalopathy" and "Korsakoff's psychosis"
and in basic terms your short term memory is majorly affected.

No I haven't swollowed a dictionary, just been doing a little research on this subject.

Wayne

Krakers
08-07-08, 12:25
Hi all - I feel I can certainly make a contribution here. I've never actually talked about my problem in full via posts, but most members who have been here for over a year will know about me and alcohol. What they won't know is the full background or what has happened this year.

Its going to run to a long post, so I'll post seperately. It'll take me a while to write, so check back in a little while.

Krakers.

Dr Kong, AKA Wayne
08-07-08, 13:09
Hi Krakers,
Look forward to reading your posts.

Eljay,
Don't you think you should see someone about this now? I wouldnt recommend leaving it until after your hols.

I did this end of last Year, got Married December 15th and we went to Cyprus for Honeymoon and I said to Wife, I will stop or cut down after.

Now, what happened was I (as the Mrs would say) kicked the ass out of it, drunk more, straight to the bar at 10am, drinking all Day basicly.

Afterwards I was at a stage where I couldnt stop, a few Months later in detox and the rest is history.
Something like this can't be put on the back burner, it needs to be address'd now.
When I saw GP, I had to wait 10 Weeks 'till detox and had to carry on drinking to avoid brain damage! I got to the DT's stage (Delirium Tremens) This is the more severe withdrawel reaction.

Just my thoughts and you can take on board if you wish, but going on Holiday with the thoughts of this may be my last chance to drink, is a dangerous situation to be in.

Wayne

Krakers
08-07-08, 14:14
I've got to agree with Wayne on this one. Every time I've consciously set a date to give up I've binged like no tomorrow leading up to it. I'm a compulsive type of person though, so maybe it will be different for you.

I've even been on a couple of diets in my time too - and guess what I did the day before ? Yup, Chocolate, Chips, Pizza, you name it. I think its just the way the mind works.

Krakers.

shiv
08-07-08, 14:16
Hi there,

I think an alcohol section would be great. Some of of you here may know that although I'm not an alcoholic (although I do at times use drink to self medicate) I have been affected by alcoholics most of my life and there have been some happy endings and some tragic ones too. My dad drank to excess and lost custody and contact with me from when i was 5 til i was 18. however he has been dry for nearly 30 years and is a very successful psychologist. My step dad was a violent (to me) alcoholic and comitted suicide 15 years ago. My son's dad was a heavy drinker and committed suicide 23 months after that. My now husband is an alcoholic and after a recent relapse I had to throw him out nearly a week and a half ago. if he continues he will probably die (as has been said by many doctors) and yet again I will bury the father of one of my kids because of alcohol.

So there you are. Although some of us don't drink, we have been or are currently affected by the drinking of others and I know for a fact that some people here have depression and anxiety because of an alcoholic parent or partner.

I am behind getting an alcohol section started and the more backers the better chance we have.

Siobhan x

marie1974
08-07-08, 14:21
although wayne knows this i just wanted to add that the alchohol section would be a really good and positive thing. there are heavy drinkers in my dads side of the family and my brother is a heavy drinker and although i would never luckily have a problem there have been times when things got bad that most nights my head would be in a bottle until i decided enough was enough.

Dr Kong, AKA Wayne
08-07-08, 15:50
Hi there,

I think an alcohol section would be great. Some of of you here may know that although I'm not an alcoholic (although I do at times use drink to self medicate) I have been affected by alcoholics most of my life and there have been some happy endings and some tragic ones too. My dad drank to excess and lost custody and contact with me from when i was 5 til i was 18. however he has been dry for nearly 30 years and is a very successful psychologist. My step dad was a violent (to me) alcoholic and comitted suicide 15 years ago. My son's dad was a heavy drinker and committed suicide 23 months after that. My now husband is an alcoholic and after a recent relapse I had to throw him out nearly a week and a half ago. if he continues he will probably die (as has been said by many doctors) and yet again I will bury the father of one of my kids because of alcohol.

So there you are. Although some of us don't drink, we have been or are currently affected by the drinking of others and I know for a fact that some people here have depression and anxiety because of an alcoholic parent or partner.

I am behind getting an alcohol section started and the more backers the better chance we have.

Siobhan x

Hi Siobhan,
It is sad to see poeple around you waste away and die from alcoholism.
Its the same for my Wife, she has been around so many people who drank themselves to death including her Father. She is not a drinker (well she aint now anyway as its banned from the House! LOL)

I reckon its just as common as anxiety or more common maybe!

Alcohol addiction is a huge problem in this Country.

Wayne

thevoicewithinme
08-07-08, 16:30
I think the alcohol section would be good. My dad was an alcholic. After the death of my sister, he turned to drink, his way of coping I know...but that was over thirty years ago, and he has only been off the drink for 3 years...but still doing well.

I have always sworn that I would never end up like my dad (and greatgrandfather) but, lately I am seriously beginning to think that I might have a problem (please dont think bad of me).

Most nights, we (boyfriend and I) have a few beers..I usually only have 3 cans sometimes a couple more. I know what people mean though when they say it makes them feel normal as I feel this too. The old me comes back...not the scared person that I am now.

I wouldn't say that I am addicted, but I do know that this could lead that way.

Kaz

andie73
08-07-08, 16:38
Hiya

I've been there, five years ago. Now I am tee total. I would'nt even entertain a drink now because of the difference not drinking has made. Alcohol causes more mental health problems that you can imagine. I used to self medicate with drink, or so I thought. In reality I was desending into a pit of despair and sobering up meant a big panic attack, but I didn't make the connection.

I don't want to sound like I'm preaching, because I know how hard it is if you use alcohol as a crutch, but it is contributing massively to your problems believe me. If alcohol is something you turn to to get you through things, if it causes issues in your relationship, if it has stoppped you working, or is the focus of your day ie making sure you always have drink in and you need get to the shop before it closes etc, then I would definitely say you need to take action. Do this with the support of your doctor but do it for yourself primarily, not for others. You have to want to stop drinking for you.

Also do not fool yourself into believing that cutting down is an option. It doesn't work, I've been there. Gradually your consumption creeps up as your body craves it more. And with cuutin down there is never any diffinitive guideline amount as to what's ok. You will find yourself saying you've had a particularly bad day, so one more will be justified. And so it continues.

The difference it has made in my life is amazing. I found a job, I got of meds, I got married, I have started to almost like myself again. I relax in other ways now, though I'm still learning. Relaxing doesn't come easy to me. Panic attacks are still part of my life, but I can now go weeks without one. I don't mind going to pubs or pouring drinks for people, alcohol has really no affect on me now, I'd rather have a bar of chocolate lol.

Sometimes I think people think it's a bit odd that I don't drink, but it doesn't bother me any more. I congratulate myself by tellling myself I don't need to drink to enjoy myself. Sounds a bit like blowing my own trumpet I know, but I've had some really tough times and I've got through it.

When I miscarried two years ago I didn't even contemplate a drink to help me cope and I guess that's when I truely knew I was in control. Alcohol is not self medication, it's self destruction.

If you would like to pm me please do. Knowing you need to do something is the first step, so you're already on your way. Good luck and you are not alone.

It is hell, I know, even if you don't think you are physically addicted, you maybe mentally and emotionally. You will find other ways of coping through bad times, honest, the drink gets you no where. And it ruins relationships. My hubby was very supportive but made it clear enough was enough. That gave me the push I needed, and even the thought of alcohol turns my stomach.

Dr Kong, AKA Wayne
08-07-08, 22:25
It's good that members here are opening up about this issue, and I am glad that this thread has given some of you an oppertunity to get it off your chest so to speak.
We do need a seperate section here, as the above posts confirm.

Wayne

marie1974
08-07-08, 22:33
hi wayne mayb u could start a thread on this and hope people see it and open up there too, this is great wayne and will really help u too in your recovery xx

tamo
09-07-08, 14:53
Hi All,
Re a section for alcohol,I think that would be a fantastic idea.I won't go into my drinking history as it would take a few volumes of space.There is one thing that I never knew ! What caused what,did the missuse of alcohol cause my axiety or did I drink to excess to get rid of shyness and anxiety.Perhaps i'll never know the answer and it doesn't matter now.

Thanks for your comment wayne.
It was AA that saved me from the deamons and when I finaly did throw the drinking towel in I was a physical and mental wreck.
I'd also be happy to try and help folks with drink problems.I am no councellor either but i have got the tshirt been there etc etc.
I still have bouts of anxiety when things are tough but if I was to start dinking I know that would be the start of that nightmare downward spiral once more.............There are heavy drinkers and alcoholics and the line between them is very fine indeed and it is difficult to know when that line has been crossed.

Keep up the good work admins and the best of luck and to every person here

Tom

Dr Kong, AKA Wayne
10-07-08, 08:55
Thats an interesting point about "Triggers" and did alcohol cause anxiety or was alcohol used to mask it?

Well I was talking to my Wife last Night about it and I remember when I was in my late teens I had to get a medical for a job aplication (I think it was part time driving a taxi) and I just didn't have it as I was terrified they would find something wrong, I was like 19 Years old and would of been fit as a fiddle!

Even when I went into detox and saw a doctor when I got there, he gave me a physical and said I was in pretty good nic! LOL

So I did have phobia's before I drank heavily, As far as anxiety is concerned I am not sure, I think drink did cause that, or at least made it worse.

So I basicly suffered from late teens to about 4 Years ago (14-15 Years) without knowing what was wrong with me. I thought it was just hangovers that made me feel "groggy".
But I gave up drinking 4 years ago for several Months and I was still feeling ill when in certain situations, so I started to look on the internet and found my symptoms and went to the DR's and was diagnosed.

But to the bottom line, I think I drank for that dutch couarage, without a drink I couldn't leave the House and do Day to Day things.

So like I said before on this forum, Drinking and anxiety do go hand in hand often, whether being drink that causes it or drink to mask it.

Wayne

Cathy V
10-07-08, 09:41
Hi all, yes its a good point. I think the anxiety definately came first for me coz i remember being quite anxious as a child. I have been a "what if something happens and i die" kind of person for as long as i can remember! So yes i definately started drinking to ease the anxiety symptoms. I'd had my fair share of benzos and i'd had such an awful time withdrawing from them that i vowed never to take them again (i never have) so for me, alcohol was the next best thing i guess :huh:

Cathy xxxx