PDA

View Full Version : How you feel when people say "see a doctor", or when you get referred?

Nemo
09-07-08, 22:45
When friends/family/forums etc, suggest you "see a doctor" after you tell them of symptoms - does it make you panic more, and believe more you have something seriouly wrong? even though you know they are just giving "sensible" advice?

Same when a doctor refers you... do you automatically think that the doctor thinks there's something serious wrong but is hiding something from you? panic increasing from this point forwards until you get the test and the result?

Do you analyse what a doctor says to you, and how he said it - eg, worry if they dont look you in the eye or use a different tone, or decide on a sudden different approach having examined you (thinking that they "found something" but are not saying so)?

If you are worring about a particular disease, and you start noticing articles about it in magazines, TV etc, do you somehow think it's the universe trying to warn you to get it checked out? (I know this one sounds really wierd!)

I could go on, and I get all of this, so wondered how strange I am and if anyone else's mind works the same!

Cathy V
09-07-08, 22:55
Hi Nemo, no i dont think you are strange with this. If you have HA then its a 'normal' reaction. I think we tell you to see a doctor because we are not medically trained (well, apart from any docs and nurses who are members that is!) and we wouldnt tell anyone they have a particular problem, even if we felt strongly that they had, because only a medical person can diagnose.

Also, i think alot of our docs refer us because its what they think we want. They talk to us about our probs and no matter what they tell us they think is wrong, they can probably see that we dont believe them (this might also have something to do with how often we go to them too!) so the next step for them is to refer us on.

People with HA never want to see anything on tv about their own phobia...that a given. So until we are all cured, everything we all share with you nemo is actually 'normal' :D

Hope this helps....just a little!
Take care
Cathy xxx

Nemo
09-07-08, 22:59
Thanks for your response glad in some ways to know its not just me, but then i wouldnt wish this type of fear on anyone.

... my mind analyses things so much sometimes I just get tired - usually at this point I get a temorary break from the anxiety, because I get tired to the point of not caring anymore!!

Cathy V
09-07-08, 23:11
.....and thats the key, not caring anymore. Hey, Claire Weekes would be proud of you nemo. If youve never read any of her books, thats exactly what she preaches. If only the periods of "sod it, let it do what it wants, i dont give a flying f**k anymore" could stay with us on a more permenant basis wed all be cured tomorrow! but us anxies are complicated people arent we?

I always reckon that most people with our type of personality are artisic by nature. Writers, poets, artists, actors etc. even tecnical artists count, draughtsmen, architects etc. Mind you we do have the odd lawyer...ah, but maybe they wnated to be a creative person really and only became lawers to please the family. Ok noe im aware that im rambling and prob making you feel a bit nervous, but anyway try and say 'sod it' more often ok?

Cathy xxx :D

milly jones
10-07-08, 08:55
i must admit i dont really understand ha and do tend to suggest seeing the gp to relieve ur fears. that seems sensible to me. i never really considered that it would cause more anx by u thinking that there was actually something wrong that i was trying to hide from u.

what response would u suggest?

for me with sa, if i can check that things are ok, im much better. i know how frustrating this is for my friends, me pming them saying 'have i made u cross?' but i guess uve got to know me and my needs now. the checking and needing reassurance is far less powerful than the worry that eats away inside my head.

this worry i would guess is the same as ha, so my solution is to check everything is ok, go see the gp.

thats how my mind sorts this anyway.

but if there is a better answer when ur anx pls tell me and i can try to support. or would u rather me post nothing and keep clear cos i dont have ha?

this is a bit of a mine field cos like me theres probably far more going on inside ur head than u write down when u post.

anyway would like to hear ha views pls

mill xx

ps i hope ive not offended anyone writing this. i do want to do what's best to help.

joyce1980
10-07-08, 09:00
Yep, I want my family members to tell me it's ok and give me advice without needing a Dr, It drives my husband up the wall as he always says he's not a Dr and go see one.

I totally understand this one!

ksmith
10-07-08, 15:04
I thought my GP was gonna throw me out the surgery last time he suggested X rays. I kept on and on asking why he was sending me, what did he really think I had etc etc. I even hassled the technicians who scan/xray and generally they can't analyse what they're taking pics of lol!!

I spose they see a lot of folks like us so get kinda used to it but it makes you feel a bit embarrassed.

K

Trixie
10-07-08, 15:10
I thought my GP was gonna throw me out the surgery last time he suggested X rays. I kept on and on asking why he was sending me, what did he really think I had etc etc. I even hassled the technicians who scan/xray and generally they can't analyse what they're taking pics of lol!!

I spose they see a lot of folks like us so get kinda used to it but it makes you feel a bit embarrassed.

K

No, it doesn't worry me in the slightest but then I don't suffer from Health Anxiety. Now if they were to say your cat needs to see the vet...........:weep:

joyce1980
10-07-08, 16:35
Hey Trixie, what kind of Anxiety do you suffer from?
I used to suffer from gad, then it went to HA later on in my life (yucky anxiety):weep:

Trixie
10-07-08, 18:36
Hey Trixie, what kind of Anxiety do you suffer from?
I used to suffer from gad, then it went to HA later on in my life (yucky anxiety):weep:

Over the past few years I have gone through the sudden deaths of many close family members. My daughter suffers from psychiatric problems and hasn't left the house in 5 years (except when she has had to go to the doctors).

Also I was diagnosed has having a meningioma in December. Being rather a laid back person I just took this all in my stride but when my Siamese was poorly a few months back I started getting anxiety attacks when he looked like he needed to go to the vets, also I was not sleeping and crying a lot. My doctor put me on Cipralex 5mg that is how I came upon this board.:)

miss diagnosis
10-07-08, 21:16
oh i hear you! i freak out ten times worse when someone tells me to go to the doc. im on ha sufferer who really hates to go to the doctor and avoid if possible.yet i never worry when other people have to go.
last time i went to the doc i got myself in such a state my blood pressure shot through the roof and she refused to let me leave which panicked me even more!

milly jones
10-07-08, 21:54
guess ive been giving wrong advice then

sorry thought i was helping

milly xx

joyce1980
10-07-08, 22:01
Over the past few years I have gone through the sudden deaths of many close family members. My daughter suffers from psychiatric problems and hasn't left the house in 5 years (except when she has had to go to the doctors).

Also I was diagnosed has having a meningioma in December. Being rather a laid back person I just took this all in my stride but when my Siamese was poorly a few months back I started getting anxiety attacks when he looked like he needed to go to the vets, also I was not sleeping and crying a lot. My doctor put me on Cipralex 5mg that is how I came upon this board.:)

Hey Trixie,
How are you holding up ??
I hope this tumor is not life threatening

Email me anytime :hugs:

Nemo
10-07-08, 23:58
Hi there... thanks for all the comments.

Yes, once Ive worn myself out with worry and Ive hit the "Im past caring [about my symptoms]" phase I wish I could stay there for longer - Ive never read the book previously referred to that talked about "past caring", but perhaps that this is an area I should work on - never really thought about it like that before.

There's no such thing as "wrong advice" Milly, all advice is welcome, and we are all here to help eachother - It's also absolutely right and sensible that caring friends and relatives suggest going to see a doctor .... it's just that my brain processes this advice incorrectly and I end up thinking there must be something badly wrong if people are suggesting the doc - thats the bit I need to mend!

thanks to all....

Nemo
11-07-08, 00:01
Trixie... I hope things look up for you and yours soon, keep strong. I hope sharing things with people on this board also helps

Trixie
11-07-08, 06:11
Trixie... I hope things look up for you and yours soon, keep strong. I hope sharing things with people on this board also helps

I am a member of 4 years standing and 17,000 posts of a English Lit forum, but the reason I like coming on here so much is the nurse in me.

Giving positive support to people with health anxiety problems makes me feel as if I have done some good. Whether those members on here feel anyway reassured by my replies is a different matter.:D

milly jones
11-07-08, 15:23
thats why answer posts cos i just want to try and help other people.

and when it does good and u can help, it really helps me too.

milly xx

Nemo
12-07-08, 17:39
Thanks millie.... your comments were really appreciated, along with the comments from everyone else on this thread. It just helps me loads to know there are like-minded people about who are supportive and want to help...

desaparecidos
18-07-08, 19:32
If you are worring about a particular disease, and you start noticing articles about it in magazines, TV etc, do you somehow think it's the universe trying to warn you to get it checked out? (I know this one sounds really wierd!)

I'm so glad you have said that hun, i thought it was just me who suffered from this!

xxx

hunny
25-08-08, 13:03
OMG

This is me!!!!

H x

george08
25-08-08, 17:43
Nemo I agree.

When going to the doctors i get my self in such a state. last october i was getting some routine blood test done and i got the dreded call back for further tests. i completey freaked out i actually rang the surgery and ask the doctor to call me back, when she did she told me that i had to have further tests as my red blood cell were slightly enlarged. again i freaked out and googled it (worst thing in the world to do it said i had AIDS, cancer and all sorts.) when i finally got the results and whent to see the doctor every thing was fine, but i never slept for about two weeks.

RosieXXX
25-08-08, 17:45
I worry exactly the same way too!! My HA has to be really bad before I go to the doctor because it makes my anxiety soar. Doesn't make sense, I suppose it is avoidance behaviour, and I am just hoping my fear will go away before there is any chance of it being diagnosed. If anything about my health anxiety comes up on radio of tv I have to turn it off.

george08
25-08-08, 17:52
OMG you could be me how long have you been like this?

RosieXXX
25-08-08, 18:05
I have had this problem for many years. To begin with I wasn't too bad about going to the doctor, but for the past twelve years or more I have a real fear. The last time I went to a doctor was 18 months ago when I had a really bad health anxiety attack, which I couldn't handle. Prior to that it must have been at least seven years. I think I also feel very awkward about it all, and not all doctors understand.