PDA

View Full Version : I made it to California!

Gryphoenix
10-07-08, 05:14
This is a huge hurdle for me and I seriously thought at one point I would never be able to get on a plane again cause of my panic attacks.

Well, lo and behold I didn't even panic once!

Situational claustrophobia is my problem (can't get out of a situation not necessarily a little space) and I thought I would go absolutely mad trying to get off of the plane cause it's impossible to leave once they close the doors. The only time I felt a smidge of claustrophobia was in the hallway/tunnel thing to get to the plane cause it kept getting backed up cause people are slow getting onto the plane. XD It's hot and cramped in there so I think it's quite understandable. Anyway I managed to deal with the small bits of turbulence. The only time I was fairly bothered is when they announced the turbulence was coming and put on the seat belt sign, even though I was watching a movie I couldn't take my mind off of the fact that we might be getting some rough weather, but it was nothing of course, just my usual anticipatory anxiety niggling away.

But yeah I thought I would never be able to make it to California and enjoy my vacation, I was afraid the worst would happen or some horrible health problem would surface and they'd have to cart me off of the plane or something--but I decided that I might as well go for it and deal with whatever happened IF it happened and was okay if anything indeed DID happen. Which of course, nothing did.

I even flew on a couple of the flights by myself (with no safe family members), even though I was more nervous on one of those cause I was just generally anxious about other things and somehow the anxiety carried over but I was okay especially when I realized they were indeed, just thoughts.

I considered flying one of my "last big hurdles", I said if I can do this I can do anything. Well, I DID IT and I'm so happy I did!

milly jones
10-07-08, 08:42
hey wish i could have shared u jumping those hurdles lol

what a lovely post well done

a huge round of applause and special nmp hugs

milly xxx

Granny Primark
10-07-08, 09:28
Well done!!!!!
I too am claustrophobic and havent flown since I had my first p.a 3 years ago.
Your post has given me hope.

Cathy V
10-07-08, 09:57
Hey well done! Im also claustrophobic and have to use all my coping skills (and a few glasses of wine) to get through my flights too. I think ive said it before but sometimes i feel more panic on a crowded train than on a plane. I know we can't get off a plane if we feel bad, but at least everyone is sitting down and there are no crowds trying to squeeze on at every stop!

Great achievement...be proud!
Best wishes
Cathy xxxx

tafflass
10-07-08, 14:19
hi gryphoenix

so nice to hear a success story.

well well done:yesyes: i am so pleased for you.

xtafflassx:hugs:

Southern_Belle
12-07-08, 15:13
Hi,

This achievement is wonderful! I too am scared to death of flying and it is very difficult. Once you are on that plane that is it, you can't get off so you did a great job. I really do applaud you and wish you continued success.

Many hugs,

Laura xxx

lorac
13-07-08, 14:49
Hi

You did really well and should be so pleased with yourself, well done.

Carol
x

Eva May
14-07-08, 09:59
OMG gryphoenix! That's so amazing. I hope your face is sore from all the proud smiling you're doing :yesyes:

Gryphoenix
15-07-08, 03:48
:hugs: Thank you all so much for your kind words! :D Yeah the best part is that I felt like I defeated something my anxious self came up with--it said: you'll never do this, you'll never do that--and I did it anyway!

So if I can do it, and I was pretty bad off back then, you can do it too. :D

Lindalou64
24-07-08, 13:13
Just Seen This ......wow You Did Awsome Very Well Done I Wish And I Will One Day Get Back On That Plane Too....its The Worrying The What Ifs And What If This And That Lol Oh I Know Just Do It..........happy For You Keep On Going..........wish Ya Well............linda