PDA

View Full Version : Mirtazapine

Malkita
10-07-08, 17:29
Hi malkita here,
just wondered if anyone is taking Mirtazapine, I've just started taking it, I've got bad anxiety and depression, I didn't want to start meds but got too bad, very dizzty wobbly with fears of going out and health phobias most of the time, hoping this medication will give me some relief soon, has anyone found it helps anxiety??
many thanks for any feedback
xxx:)

Angelic_one_
12-07-08, 21:16
Hi, i've also just been prescribed this, i've suffered with severe panic disorder for almost 18 years and managed mainly with diazepam, had an 'episode' last week that set me back Anyways i haven't actually started them, the side effects put me off a little, but i will be taking them as of tomorrow night so i'll let you know how it goes :)

freakedout
15-07-08, 01:20
Hi,

I take Mirtazapine.

I started on 15mg then increased to 30 then to 45 which is what I am currently taking. I was taking an anti-depressant before this so I didnt notice any obvious side effects when I changed to mirtazapine. They are excellent for helping with sleep, I was a real insomniac before but now I have a good, usually undisturbed sleep. If I take it too late at night though I do have a groggy feeling the following day. Also the mirtazapine gives me an appetite which I usually dont have. Not a bad thing in my case because I was underweight.

I havent had any other noticable side effects. As for whether they help with anxiety - I dunno. I take Diazepam as and when needed, but on the whole I avoid anxiety provoking situations. The anxiety is still there and the panic attacks are still there, and I still find it extremely difficult some days to face the world and often just do the bare minimum. You are not supposed to drink alcohol with mirtazapine so if I am ever drinking I miss a dose and to be honest the alcohol does a very good job of reducing my anxiety but can have unpredictable effect on my mood - thats the risk I take and to be honest I like a drink every now and then to escape from myself (sorry am talking crap now!!), I just have to hope I dont end up getting all depressed, even though I am depressed to start with - arghhh see, am talking crap!

Recently I decided to stop taking the mirtazapine, foolishly I didnt wean myself off and went without for about 10 days, I started to feel really ill, nauseas, no appetite, hot sweats and anxious+++ so I am back on my 45mg and wouldnt recommend stopping them without medical advice.

Hope that helps.

Freaky

Isobelle
18-07-08, 21:29
Hi

I've been taking this for about 3 weeks (15mg dose). Its been great because I was having trouble sleeping and was really depressed; crying and feeling a bit worthless and guilty over nothing. I was also getting very anxious about the slightest thing. I couldn't find a good explaination for the symptoms and was at my wits end.
The only problems I've had are waking up in the morning and every now and again I get a rush of impulsivness which is most unlike me. Apart from that I've found it fantastic, its really helped me so much.
I hope you get on ok, let me know in a few weeks when you've settled into it.

Take care :)

guitarplayer123
23-07-08, 15:31
I am currently taking mirtazapine. Im in my 6th week now. I've tried 4 different types of medication before this.

The first thing I noticed was the lethargy. This was supposed to subside after the first 2/3 weeks but I still sleep forever and feel groggy during the day.

Also my appetite has increased which in my case is a bad thing because I was overweight which was a big problem to start with.

In terms of helpfulness I have had a couple of occasions where I have managed to turn a negative into a postivie feeling but other than that my mood and anxiety levels havn't changed much. Im on a 30mg doseage.