PDA

View Full Version : emetophobia

hazel-eyes
10-07-08, 18:16
Hi all,

I have suffered from emetophobia for as long as i can remember but it seemed to calm down over the past couple of years. However, i am faced with something that seems to have sparked it off again.

I'm due to go on holiday at the end of august to greece. The main thing that is worrying me is the 4 hour flight. I have managed 2 1/2 flights before and they have hardly bothered me but for some reason that extra hour and an half is filling me with anxiety and worry! I'm so worried that i'll start to feel ill... or even worse actually be ill! And also for some reason i've convinced myself that i'm more likely to get food posioning in greece because i've only ever been to spain before and i've pretty much convinced myself i'l going to get it! This all sounds ridiculous doesn't it!?

I'm beside myself with worry and anxiety and it's 7 weeks till i go.. i can't imagine how i'm going to feel nearer the time. I'm almost regretting booking it in the first place but i know i'm being completely ridiculous about the whole thing! :S
Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated :)

Zingara
10-07-08, 19:45
Hiya,
I am exactly the same as you...I have had emetophobia for years...it is bad a lot of the time, but going away always intensifies it. Greece is a place I have always wanted to go to but been nervous about for the same reason! I do know how awful this phobia is, but really there's no reason why going on holiday should increase the likelihood of your being sick if you're careful about things like avoiding sunstroke and ice in drinks (most emetophobes are, I know I am!)
My boyfriend absolutely loves the Greek islands and wants us to go there...I keep stalling because I have the same fear as you! :scared15: Sorry I don't have a solution, but I would say if you want to go, you should, I bet you'll have a lovely time. Perhaps it would be worth talking to your doctor, I always feel better knowing I have tranquilisers with me when I travel.
By the way, my boyfriend has been to Greece six times without getting ill at all.... :)

hazel-eyes
10-07-08, 22:15
Thank you for your reply :) It has definately put my mind at ease to know your boyfriend has been to greece six times and has never got ill! I will definately be careful with what i eat and steer clear of ice as i always do! You can get travel probiotic tablets aswell that are supposed to keep the balance healthy bacteria in your stomach while abroad. I guess they might be worth a try... they can't do any harm i guess?!

I was considering getting some travel sickness tablets for the flight but i'm not sure because the side effects for some of them is vomiting.. i don't get that, surely that defeats the object!? And i'm not sure if would be wise to take them on an empty stomach, and theres no chance i'll be eating before my flight as i'm sure my fellow emetophobes will understand! Getting some tranquilisers is definately an idea i would consider though!

Zingara
10-07-08, 22:33
The probiotic tablets are a great idea. I am just the same as you with tablets - if they list vomiting as a possible side effect I daren't take them! The trouble is that almost everything does! I would ask your doctor to recommend something that is very gentle on the stomach. You could also try one of those wristbands... they're supposed to be good. I've also been told that closing your eyes is a good way of keeping travel sickness at bay.
Hope it goes well. It's a horrid phobia to have, isn't it? Then again, I suppose all phobias are! xxx

maeanna
11-07-08, 16:43
heya
i have emetophobia too but have it both ways so im also worried bout other people on the flight being ill! i too only go to Spain but would luv to go to elsewhere so Well Done for booking a hol to Greece!
I always take Boots own brand Travel Sickness tablets (even tho i have never suffered from travel sickness!) the only side effect i get with them is a bit of tiredness and a dry mouth. I also take Lorazapan (valium) my GP gives me 2 tablets! (one for the way there and one for the way back!) When i flew to/from Menorca last year i loved the flight! i was sooooo relaxed and even ate my meal on the plane! (a 1st!) but generally before flying i eat an apple and plain crisps 3 hrs or so before take off as i feel worse if i dont eat!
Oh and my mum and dad went to Samos (greek island) for 2 wks and were both fine! just stick to bottled water even for brushing teeth,no ice and check ur foods piping hot!!! (i avoid seafood and meat on hols and live off chips,salad etc!!!)
Anyway hope that helps and i hope u have a lovely hol!

Demzii
25-08-08, 19:49
Hi, My dad was sick in spain after eating lamb he said it tasted fatty and like a rat he didn't ahve the bug he just brought up the lamb so just warning you stay away from all meat :)