PDA

View Full Version : panic attacks

magenta
26-04-05, 11:27
hi, i'm new on here and was looking to see if anyone can help me.
I've suffered from panic attacks for 15 years and have gone through phases of not eating,not going out of the house and depression.Since all of this started i've got married and had four children and pretty much got on with my life getting over some of my problems apart from the panic attacks.A couple of years ago i had a panic attack in the car on a dual carriage way for no reason at all and since then i won't go back on it or even the motorway which causes great problems.In five weeks time we're going on holiday and i'm going to have to travel on the motorway and i'm making myself ill keep thinking about it.
It's not just this though i can't go anywhere unless someone is with me or i have panic attacks and it's taking over my life.I've got over it before and led a normal life but eventually the panick attacks always come back and now i'm sick of it and don't know who to turn to as i've seen doctors before and not got much joy.I tell myself why can't i be normal and try to think of people in worse situations to make myself feel bad for being like i am hoping to shock myself out of it.Don't know what else to do so any suggestions would be welcomed

magenta xx

mojo5
26-04-05, 11:41
Hi Magenta

Really sorry to hear you are suffering - I know exactly how you feel.

I know this may sound difficult but avoidance of the thing that bothers you will only reinforce those feelings.

Now you said that you are going away in 5 weeks which is great because it gives you some time to address things.

My suggestion would be to gradually ( and at your own pace ) put yourself in the situations that cause you discomfort and learn that nothing bad will happen.

For example you could.....

1. just take a few short drives
2. When you are ready - Take a longer drive
3. Then drive near the Dual carriageway
4. Take a short drive on it
5. Gradually make longer trips on it ( and so on....)

This may sound a bit drawn out but believe me it is a sure way of defeating your demons.

By gradually building your confience you can learn to beat this and make your holiday something to look forward to and enjoy.

We all know how you feel and you are not crazy or alone, PM me if I can help further.

Take Care
Best Wishes
Mojo

Piglet
26-04-05, 11:42
Hi Magenta,
I'm much the same at the moment - it seems to come in patches doesn't it. I had a great year last year for being independent locally but had a panic attack out on my own walking home in Jan (I doubt anyone looking at me would have even known though) and since then I've only wanted to go out with one of the kids and not been that fussed about doing that either.
Although, I went out for a long walk with one of the kids yesterday and really didn't feel at all bad (I'm working on my breathing at the moment - which is helping enormously) so that's a step (no pun intended) in the right direction.
I sometimes wonder if because I've been surrounded by children for the last 18 years and as such have always had a child in tow when shopping etc that it's not just that I am scared but also that I feel a little lost and lonely without the company.
I'll read with interest any replies as they may help me also!
Love Piglet

magenta
26-04-05, 12:02
Thanks for the reply's it does help to know other people are in the same boat and that i'm not on my own.I have started going on the duel carriage way but only on the ist stretch of road which i'm managing.As for the holiday i know i've got to face the motorway whether i like it or not because i'd never let the kids down but like you said i've got time to ease myself into it even if my hubby has to take me down one junction at a time.Thanks again for your replys

zena
26-04-05, 12:04
Hi Piglet,

Well lets look on the positive 1st. Married and had 4 children, thats a wow in it's self.

Now with the panics...they can be right buggers can't they.
One minute your fine and cope then all of a sudden bang you get a load all at one time.(like buses).

Have to agree with Magenta. Take things in steps..
You are also doing the right thing by working on your breathing whilst out walking.
If I have a bad panic session I normally sing out loud to my fav song of that time.
What ever gets you through the day is what I say!
I don't like motorways at the best of times...but once you get on them after a while you will settle down.
As for life in general with the panics coming again and not been able to go out on your own(which is frustrating I know)....reading your post you have been there before....guess what YOU CAN DO IT AGAIN.

Keep us posted on how you get on. Take care

with good wishes

Zena

magenta
26-04-05, 12:11
I know i can do it and that's why it's so frustrating.Some days i'm so calm and feel like i can do anything then the next day i'm like a cat on hot bricks.Just wish the panick attacks would disappear then everything would be fine.The funny thing about it is i panick about panicking and that's what triggers it off

magenta xx

Meg
26-04-05, 14:21
Magneta
Welcome , the fear of the fear is usually what self perpetuates this ... Listen to how you talk to yourself...

First Steps : First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

seh1980
26-04-05, 16:36
Welcome aboard Magenta!! :D

lainey
26-04-05, 16:48
Hi Magenta

Welcome to the forum, you'll get loads of help and support here

Take care

Elaine x

kairen
26-04-05, 17:43
Hi Magenta

And welcome to the site, i felt like you and did not get the help i was looking for from the doctors i just plodded along, until i found this site which has made me understand so much more, and i know that i am not alone in this, and that people understand, really understand, it has been a blessing, I've met some lovely people here and i do hope it helps you too, I have been of meds for 3 months now and feel really positive, i still have odd blips but being here helps me get through them,

just ask and there will always be someone able to understand you and give you some good advice

take care

kairen x

sal
26-04-05, 22:30
Hi Magenta

Sorry things are not going to well for you and i do appreciate how hard it is when you think you are almost there and it comes back again. But remember you have got over it before and you will do again, and i hope we can help you with this.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

magenta
27-04-05, 10:08
Just want to thank everyone for being kind and helpfull and i will definitly keep coming in and talking to you all

zena
27-04-05, 15:17
Hi Magenta.
I know exactly what you mean about panicing over panicing.
One day your fine the next your not.
Mine at the moment is that I can drive from my place to Newport on my own no problem.....I can't drive on my own from my place to Abergavenny....which is nearer doesn't take that long and is ever so frustrating for me. The reason is I had a very bad time with a panic whilst on that road which had loads of cones on!! I will do it eventually.....So I can sympathise with your frustration But you can overcome just takes time.
Keep reading the posts...they can make you feel a lot better.
Take care

with good wishes

Zena

sal
28-04-05, 22:45
Hi Magneta

Pleased we have helped and hope to hear more from you.

Take care and look forward to hearing from you to see how things are.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Karen
28-04-05, 23:22
Hi Magenta

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

magenta
27-06-05, 17:06
:Dhi everyone
I thought i'd let you all know that i made it on holiday and it was brilliant.I did the motorway and has made me overcome my fear plus i did alot of other things that i've not done in years.It's thanks to everyone who tried to help it did the job and from now on it onwards and forwards for me.I know other things are going to take time like going out on my own but i've made my first step and i'm not going to look back.This forum is my life saviour for unloading my troubles and just knowing there's other people like me makes me realise i'm not on my own.Thanks again for all your support

magenta xx

seh1980
27-06-05, 18:03
[Wow!] Magenta - what great news!! Well done!! :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

leo05
27-06-05, 18:40
well done keep it up

leanne (leo05)

nomorepanic
27-06-05, 19:09
Magenta

What great news - we are all chuffed for you so a Big well done for doing it!

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Meg
27-06-05, 22:38
What excellent news indeed .

Well done for making all the necessary effort and doing it !

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Karen
28-06-05, 00:16
Well done Magenta.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.