PDA

View Full Version : Prescribed Propranolol?

becksy
11-07-08, 11:58
Glad to see I'm not the only one!

I went to the doctors 2 weeks ago to complain about my insomnia. (which I have had for many years) And a neck problem, I was absolutely amazed when she told me to drop my trousers so she could take swabs for STD'S! I havn't had a partner for ages and told her I have virtually nil chance of having the things she was testing for!

After having the swabs taken I reminded her of why I had come in the 1st place, by which time she was shooing me out the door to see her next patient. She quickly gave me a booklet to fill in about anxiety and sent me on my way.

When I got home I read through the booklet and really felt only a small amount applied to me. I feel I only get stressed about being tired all the time due to lack of sleep! I think anyone would feel depressed on just 3-4 hours sleep a night (if I'm lucky!) It is pure exhaustion with me. I have a very close family, great friends and 2 lovely girls. There's nothing major I'm unhappy with in life except sleep deprivation.

I went back today as requested (results for STD's were clear!) She asked for the booklet and I said I hadn't filled it in. She wasn't happy at all. I did however do a sleep diary which she didn't even bother looking at.

Anyway, she prescribed me Propranolol, and told me to come back and see her in 2 weeks time. I'm really not happy about taking these, she didn't even bother taking my blood pressure which I know is generally on the low side. Also, what baffles me is the side effect of.........INSOMNIA! trouble falling asleep, staying asleep and vivid dreams/nightmares. Why prescribe something that will make the problem worse?

The doctors I've seen seem determined to give tablets for anxiety/depression (which I refuse to take now after suffering severe side effects from them) and now beta blockers instead of taking my sleep disorder seriously.

I dont feel I'm being listened to and I'm at my wits end!

Only one doctor I saw (not my own, a locum) prescribed me Zopiclone tablets. he gave me a months supply (which in the end lasted me two and a half months) and they were the best months I'd had in years. So nice to just fall asleep and wake up fresh in the morning! Why wont they just prescribe the same tablets again.. that work!

Quiet-Lift
11-07-08, 22:46
Hi Becksy,

Your Doctor must have a listening problem! Have you mentioned the Zopiclone and it's beneficial effects to her?

I'm on Propranalol (at my request) and take them before I have to do anything stressful or during a severe bout of anxiety. Have you tried taking any before you go to bed?

I know it can be difficult getting the right kind of medication. Each has a frightening list of side-effects as long as your arm!

I don't know if this happens with you, but I often get tongue-tied when i go to visit my GP and any attempt at requesting a change of meds gets stonewalled. She often advises me to see my Psychiatrist first and the process of getting an appointment with him is never straightforward.

You are bound to feel stressed if you are not getting enough sleep. There are herbal preparations like Valerian that can help. You can buy them in supermarkets.
I'm not surprised you are at your wits end. Unfortunately it seems as though many Doctors just don't have the listening skills of a trained counsellor.

All the best

becksy
11-07-08, 23:11
Thanks for your reply :) I've taken 2 today so will see what happens tonight.

Fingers crossed!

Quiet-Lift
12-07-08, 15:26
Hi Becksy, :)

I hope the Propranalol helped. If not, perhaps you could persevere with them for a few more nights. Only a suggestion of course.

Best wishes