PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack or something worse? Help!!

TheThinker
12-07-08, 12:09
Okay, so I been having these symptoms that is nearly identical to panic attacks, but I need confirmation if it is it. This all started last month. Symptoms were racing heart and fear of dying. Went to the ER only to find out nothing was wrong.

Now a month later, which is this month, I been having trouble breathing and racing heart on and off for the past week. So today my breathing problem just got worst, which soon escalated and cause body to become cold. Soon after my whole body started to go numb, to the point where I couldn't feel anything. Plus my stomach felt like it was squeezing in and burning. Its been two hour now, and I still feel uneasy.

Sorry for the long read, but I'm really scared. I can't go to the hospital any time soon since I have no insurance. Thanks.

JoT
12-07-08, 12:47
Hi there, it sounds like classic panic attacks to me, I know how you feel though, every time I get them I think, "what if it isn't this time and I shrug it off as a panic attack, but really I'm about to die?.."

I've been having them for years on and off and I'm still here, they feel slightly different everytime to trick me - the monkeys!

I do think that you should visit your doc about your panic attacks if they are distressing you like this. You can get treatment for them and also get some reassurance from your docs that you are good and healthy.

Hope I have reassured you a bit :)

Jo x

Bunty
12-07-08, 16:13
Hi

I agree with Jo - you need to go to your doctor to get reassurance.
It sounds like it could be over breathing. When this happens to me I get pins and needles in my hands and feet. It can travel up my legs until I can't stand up!! Mine is definately caused by over breathing.

Practice a relaxation exercise and if it happens again you can do the exercise to see if it helps.

Take care
Buntyx

polly123
12-07-08, 17:09
Hiya
Im the same as bunty, when i have a panic attack, the first thing to happen is my breathing and the pins and neddles and im nearly always physically sick as a bonus lol. I quite often have bad days where by i get the feeling of omg i cant breath properly, thats just my anxiety letting me know its still with me. But i agree that a trip to see your G P would put your mins at rest.
POLLY

noworriesnocries
13-07-08, 21:58
tingling and numbness is due to hyperventilation, which is breathing too much oxygen. use a paperbag to breath in and out from. It takes 30 min. to 2 hrs. to get back to normal if you hyperventilated too much. You just have to wait.
Please go to your doctor. They will do some tests (if not done in the ER) like EKG, chest xray, urine test etc... They will rule out other illnesses, and give you a diagnosis. If you are completly paralyzed during attacks physically they may give some meds like ativan. If not, something mild to help your body not feel the sensations as much. The sooner you start therapy or meds or a combination of the two, the sooner you will feel better and the sooner you will heal.