PDA

View Full Version : First Post - Need reasurance

jabbott
26-04-05, 16:02
Hi everyone, I was wondering if you could help me and offer some advice and reassure me.

I am a primary school teacher and 4 weeks ago I started to get the odd headache that the doctor put down to stress etc. Initially I beleived this but I kept worrying about it thinking it was something more sinister. I occasionally have feelings that my brain is shaky and I feel restless.

Then I moved house and my gran died all in a week (2 weeks ago). Now it seems I have spiralled out of control, I worry about everything - I am convinced there is something wrong with me. The doctor has given me fluoxetine for a month to help me, however now I am getting these sort of panic attacks, my heart doesnt beat really quick but I feel an overwhelming sense of adrenalin and worry (but not your classic panic attack).

Why is this? Also my arm and foot feels a little achy!

seh1980
26-04-05, 16:39
hello there,

Welcome to the forum!! :)

Some people suffer from anxiety without having full-blown panic attacks and it sounds to me like that's what you have.

We are a friendly bunch of people so do stick around as I'm sure you'll get some good advice.

Sarah :D

lainey
26-04-05, 16:46
Hi there

Welcome to the forum, you'll get loads of help and support here.

Take care

Elaine x

vernon
26-04-05, 17:19
Hi jabbott, Welcome to the site you will get lots of help here. Fluoxetine common name Prozac is an SSRI Antidepressant, Very widely used but it can, like all antidepressants, have side effects and actually make you feel a bit worst before it makes you feel better. It takes at least about 6 weeks to start working properly and with some people even longer. The symptoms and feelings you have said about sound classic in anxiety problems. Especially the thinking and sure we have something badly wrong with us. A good book to read is Claire Weekes Essential help for your nerves. Also I found a good relaxation/self hypnosis CD or tape has helped me lots. I have suffered many years on and off and never really found relaxation help until this time I stick to it daily and use positive affirmations while relaxed. Anyway hope you feel better soon. Vernon

kairen
26-04-05, 17:34
HI Jabbot

welcome to the site, sounds like you have had a very stress full time in those two weeks, its no wonder you are feeling like this you are not alone and will get lots of help and understanding on this site, there is always someone who will be able to help you,

Have you read the welcome page this explains a lot of what you are feeling and loads of good advice,

take care

kairen x

Meg
26-04-05, 17:39
Hi Jabbot

If you are going to take SSRI's it for about 6 months minimum and certainly not for just a month. It hasn't even got to its therapeutic best by then..

All your symptoms sound anxiety in origin - especially the way its built up over a few weeks.

Start here :

First Steps : First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

carlin
26-04-05, 18:18
Hi Jabbot,
welcome to the site, sorry you are having a rough time right now, i definately think it is stress that's making you feel bad, also having lost gran and moving house in such a short space of time, is almost certainly making you feel bad. take time for yourself, if that's possible and keep in touch, you will find lots of support and kind people here.

nomorepanic
26-04-05, 19:05
Hi Jabbot
Just wanted to welcome you aboard the forum and I hope we can be of some help.

Nicola

maxine
26-04-05, 20:11
Hiya Jabbot,
Welcome to the site :D:D

Maxine

sal
26-04-05, 22:24
Hi and welcome to the site.

I hope we can be off some help to you and we all know initially how hard it can be.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Karen
26-04-05, 22:31
Hi Jabbott

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Piglet
27-04-05, 12:07
Hi Jabbott - I agree with Vernon about the Claire Weekes book it has really helped me over the last few years no end (although I am now chuffed to bits to have found this site).
As a first book though which I found a simple easy read (you can just jump to the bits that you feel apply to you) is Terri Conley 'The anxiety Trap' which can be got off the Amazon site, I still use this book every now and then, along with the Claire Weekes one and have lent it out to a few friends over the years when they first feel they have anxiety.
Love Piglet

vernon
27-04-05, 12:48
Piglet thanks for that title will go and have a look for it lol, I have more titles than any library i think. How come we dont see you in chat room? Take Care. Vernon

Piglet
27-04-05, 12:59
Vernon - I will look at how the chat room works later today. I'm just feeling my way around the site at the moment (I take awhile to grasp technology lol).
Hope to chat soon.
Piglet
Ps. If you have any trouble finding the book I have an address I can give you (she's a fellow suffer although recovered now) it's a super little book written in plain english!

zena
27-04-05, 15:06
Hi YA

Welcome to the site
You have loads of people giving you good advise.
It does sound like because of all the stress you have had has given you the attacks.
Agree with Carlin...take some time to yourself if poss...maybe take some time of work?? If you can.
Keep reading all the posts and you will get through.
Loads of people to give advise and a ear to lend.
Take care

with good wishes

Zena

pips
27-04-05, 17:26
A BIG WARM WELCOME TO THE SITE!

Love PIP'S XX

sal
28-04-05, 22:41
Hi

You have had some great replies. How are things going for you at the moment?

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.