PDA

View Full Version : IBS, Crohn's Disease or womens problems?

nomorepanic
13-07-08, 00:19
Hi all

I don't usually post asking for help but I refuse to google this so posting here.

I was diagnosed with Chron's disease earlier this year but was never really told much about it. I was also told that I probably have IBS as well

My periods have been a bit sporadic as well - sometimes I am on for 2 weeks at a time.

Anyway the problem is acute pain in what I can only describe as the area above the pubic area. No idea what organs are there!

It is even worse when I need to go to the loo (sorry TMI) - acute pain and very very painful.

So is this IBS, chrons or womens problems?

Open to suggestions as I refuse to google it.

I tried to see doc but can't get in until 21st July at the earliest :ohmy:

Southern_Belle
13-07-08, 00:53
Hi Nic,

I have IBS and I've never had pain in that area. As for your periods being off, even though you are young you could be perimenopausal and it could be causing them to act up. A blood test can tell you what your hormone levels are, saying that, your levels change from day to day. I don't know much about Crohns but will look it up for you as I agree you should not google. If I come up with anything that sounds familiar to what you are describing I will let you know. I hope you feel better soon.

Many hugs,

Laura

nomorepanic
13-07-08, 01:01
Thanks Laura

I am sure it it IBS or chrons but blimey it hurts so wanted reassurance

Southern_Belle
13-07-08, 01:05
Hi,

I googled Crohns and it said you could have abdominal pain as in the lower intestines, fever, fatigue, and diarrhea. It also said that Crohns and IBS are related and I know I have abdominal pain when I have flares of IBS. It seems like with Crohns you also get flares. It states that various treatments for Crohns are steriods, anti-inflammatory meds, immune modifiers (as you have to have a low immune system to get this or it is heredity), and antibiotics. I would say antibiotics would be necessary for an infection which can also happen but I think it is rare. This disease is a gastro problem. Did your doctor put you on a special diet? Also, do you have a fever because if you do that would indicate an infection to me. I can't believe they are making you wait so long with this diagnosis. Huge Hugs.

Love,

Laura

Cococj
13-07-08, 02:34
I have IBS, admittedly I'm male but I also have pain in the same location which isn't always eliminated by using the bathroom. I have pain elsewhere which is usually relieved or moved by using the bathroom. The pain in the area you're talking about only usually comes on for an hour or two occasionally and eventually passes only once I feel "emptied".

Don't know if that was any help but pain in that area doesn't usually behave in the same way that my other IBS pain does.

lesleya
13-07-08, 06:00
Hi Nic
I have ibs and im in the menopause too and i get pains similar to the ones you describe, so it could be a mixture of both. I get crampy pains around the pubic bone/bikini line area and sometimes backache at the same time....oh the joys of being a woman! so it could be your pre-menopausal too. But get your doc to check you out.
Thats a disgrace that you cant see your gp till 21st july...by law now they are supposed to see you within 48 hrs now or if you think its urgent the same day.
I hope your feeeling a little better now though.
Take care

decca
13-07-08, 09:24
Does anyone take Diazepam for IBS ? and does it help ?

Decca.

diane07
13-07-08, 09:31
I have ibs and so does my daughter, we both get the pains in the same area as you, but my daughter has them alot worse than me, i think your periods is a seperate issue, are you on the pill, i know with mine i can be on for weeks at a time or not for months.

di xx

Cathy V
13-07-08, 10:48
Hi nic, my brother has crohn's and he is a member of the National association for Colitis and Crohn's disease (NACC). You can visit their website an see what they are about. They give loads of info and have a help-line and email address. The website is for sufferers and their families, and some ppl take part in Fun Runs to raise awareness of the disease.

He doesnt give me the finer details of the condition as he experiences it, but i do know that he can be in alot of pain in the area you describe, maybe because its an inflamatory bowel disease and thats the bowel area. He has to have a colonoscopy every so often to remove polyps. They are harmless but uncomfortable, but i dont know if its all connected to crohn's. He's waiting for results at the moment to see if he also has IBS because of the awful bloating he gets, so theres obviously a link as the other members say.

I also agree that the period problem is probably a seperate issue and a blood test would tell you if the hormone levels are a bit off balance.

Take care
Cathy xxx

alexis
13-07-08, 11:30
Hi Nic, i think like the others say it will prob be due to chrons or IBS, Ive had loads of gynae probs and surgery for them too, and although I did have pain there I also had other symptoms too, but just wanted to send you a hug, :bighug1: :bighug1: :bighug1: its appaling you cant get in, well done on not googling but I think Id be inclined to google about waiting to see GP as I too thought they ahd to see you within 2 days or same day.
Take care.xx

Southern_Belle
13-07-08, 14:25
Hi Nic,

Hoping today has eased the pain a bit. I wanted to add one more thing, stress can make both of these conditions worse. I know when I went through a certain phase of my migraines I would be fine all week while working and then every weekend I would get the worst migraine you could imagine. The doctors said I would keep all the stress under control until I could basically let it go on the weekend thus getting a migraine. I have no idea if this could be happening to you but thought I would pass it along. I was also going to suggest what CathyV stated and join some sort of support group where you could learn more information. If not NACC I know MSN has a few. Apparently Crohns has flares like Fibro and IBS do so I truly think that is your problem. Now, what to do to get it to stop I don't know, sorry.

Love and hugs,

Laura

nomorepanic
13-07-08, 15:40
Thanks everyone for the advice and ideas.

I am on medication for the Chron's - Pentasa (2 tablets twice a day) and I am under the care of a consultant but he didn't feel the need to see me for another 6 months (due to go back in October).

The reason I have to see the doctor is because he will only prescribe me 3 lots of the medication (which only lasts 25 days) before he wants to talk to me again.

I have about 2.5 weeks worth left so thought I would go and see him earlier and ask about these pains.

Anyway he is on holiday for 2 weeks from tomorrow so I asked to see another GP and was told there were no free appointments with any doctor next week so the first I can get is on Monday 21st.

I don't want to abuse the emergency system they have as it is not a real emergency and when I did need that a few weeks ago when I wasn't very well they were very good and got me in that same day a few hours later.

I will look at that Chron's website Cathy suggested - thanks.

I am on the mini-pill so would have thought the periods would be regular but they seem to have a mind of their own! I have had many blood tests recently but no idea if they would have picked up hormone levels so I would have to ask about that I guess.

Today the pain is a bit better - it had been bad since Friday but has eased today.

I guess it is just IBS or Chron's flare up but no idea what to take for it as pain killers don't work.

Thanks for all the replies anyway and I will look at support groups rather than google "pain in groin area" lol.

nomorepanic
13-07-08, 15:44
I have ibs and im in the menopause too and i get pains similar to the ones you describe, so it could be a mixture of both. I get crampy pains around the pubic bone/bikini line area and sometimes backache at the same time....oh the joys of being a woman! so it could be your pre-menopausal too. But get your doc to check you out.
Thats a disgrace that you cant see your gp till 21st july...by law now they are supposed to see you within 48 hrs now or if you think its urgent the same day.
I hope your feeeling a little better now though.
Take care

That is interesting about the back pain Lesley as I have had back pain for about 3 weeks now and put it down to being overweight and hunching over my laptop.

I usually have to allow about 1.5 - 2 weeks to get to see my doctor and as I said above there is no chance of any appointment next week with any doctor so they don't abide by the 48 hour rule here :mad:

Magik
13-07-08, 17:51
I have Crohns Disease, had it for about...9 years or so. Hasn't been easy. But everyone's Crohns acts differently unfortunately. I know my doctor said I was very lucky to not have to be on medication for it yet. His thinking was "As long as it leaves you alone, we'll leave it alone." Which I'm starting to think might be a reason why my body is going haywire again and I'm probably going to have to start medicating it.

My attacks tend to start in the back region and then wind up around to my stomach and they're pretty bad. And yes, Stress is the worst thing for Crohns. Which I believe might be why I'm finding myself having panic attacks, or at least seems that way so far.

I wish you well, hon. And if you ever do want to speak to someone else with Crohns, feel free to message me or msn me. I think we both could use abit of support. *hugs* Take care

diane07
13-07-08, 18:17
nic,
i am also on the mini pill and the doc should have advised you the same as he did me, sometimes you never have a period or like me you could be on for weeks at a time, mention it to him when you go, my doc also explained to me about the pains i get and said it was ibs related, just explain it when you go but i certainly don't think its anything to worry about.

Di xx

lesleya
13-07-08, 20:00
I hope that you can get an earlier appt nic (try ringing again see if theyve a cancellation even) as i think its so much worse you having to wait a long time as it makes you more anxious. I dont know what age you are nic but its a possiblity that you might be pre-menopausal or menopausal now. I was panic/anxiety free for 8 yrs..then wham last april it all came back with a vengenance. Its slightly easier to cope with this time round sometimes as i know what to expect, but its still hard to deal with..especially the going to work part for me. The backache, migraines and cramps are new for me as ive never really suffered them with periods before. Mine are somtimes sporadic and very light and scanty now, but 6 months ago they were heavy and could last a couple of weeks, which doc gave me brilliant tablets for called tran
Hope it all sorts itself out and you get some help.
Take care
xx
:hugs:

nomorepanic
13-07-08, 22:33
I have Crohns Disease, had it for about...9 years or so. Hasn't been easy. But everyone's Crohns acts differently unfortunately. I know my doctor said I was very lucky to not have to be on medication for it yet. His thinking was "As long as it leaves you alone, we'll leave it alone." Which I'm starting to think might be a reason why my body is going haywire again and I'm probably going to have to start medicating it.

That is interesting as mine is mild apparently yet they put me on meds straight away.

Thanks for the offer of advice and support too.

nomorepanic
13-07-08, 22:38
Lesley - I am 42 now.

I have had a bad 2 months of things with feeling dizzy (viral infection they said) and then bad panic again which I now have under control just about.

I think it is hard for us women with all the extra issues and problems we may have and some can mimic anxiety too.

I am not one of these people that think "Oh god I have cancer" but I was interested in whether these pains were IBS related or something else.

Never had them before and I can understand it is normal but wanted to know if others get them and what can I do to relieve it.

The last thing I want is menopause lol so hope it isn't that - what sort of age do you get that then?? I thought it was in your 50's

c700
14-07-08, 12:32
I have also had pain where you are suggesting and easing when i go to the loo but it also hurts when i wee! Went to see the doctor she said it was a mixture of a water infection and IBS. I wish i could belive them. Been having it for about 3 weeks and starting to get really stressed.

Southern_Belle
14-07-08, 15:01
Nic,

I started perimenopause (the onset) at 35, yes very early. I was done at 45 considered menopausal, don't fret it took me a long time. I could go a whole year without a cycle and then bam in December have a light one and they would say I would have to start over another year until I was considered menopausal. Now that I have gone 5 years without a cycle I am considered post-menopausal at 50 years old, again young at least among all my friends.
Over here they are now recommending the hormone treatments but when I was going through it they didn't so I went through it without anything, totally natural. I never had any pains or hot flashes but did have the night sweats. Your doctor will be able to tell you, but you are very young. Hope you are feeling better.

Love and hugs,

Laura

milly jones
14-07-08, 15:06
nic how u getting on?

milly x

Piglet
14-07-08, 17:50
My sister had to come off the mini pill because it made her so bloated and gave her constipation so I wonder if that might be adding to the mix with you.

Also a friend of mines sister used to have terrible pains like you describe when she needed a No2 but only at period time.

Our bodies are well weird arn't they!!!! :shades:

Piglet :flowers:

c700
14-07-08, 18:25
Posting again sorry is this right can you have urine probelms with IBS? Its everything what i have got???????????????

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (javascript:void(null);)
Related Links (javascript:void(null);)
Contribute (javascript:void(null);)Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Written mostly by Pips, with contributions from Charlie and Meg
Pips and Charlie are IBS sufferers and Meg is a RGN (Registered General Nurse)

Symptoms of IBS

Don't be alarmed as symptoms do vary from person to person. One, some or all of the following may be experienced by an IBS sufferer.

• Abdominal pain
• Abdominal spasm
• Diarrhoea /Constipation and constant altering between the two
• Rumbling noises and wind
• Bloated stomach
• Urgency - a need to rush and open the bowels
• A feeling of incomplete emptying of the bowels
• Incontinence if a toilet is not nearby
• A sharp pain felt low down inside the rectum
• Nausea, belching and vomiting.

Some other Non - Gastrointestinal features of it can be

• Painful periods
• Pain after sex for women
• Pre menstrual tension.

Urinary symptoms

• Frequency - Needing to urinate quite often
• Urgency - Not being able to wait to urinate
• Passing urine at night
• Incomplete emptying of bladder.

nomorepanic
14-07-08, 18:36
Piglet & Laura - thanks for the info :hugs:

Milly - the pain is quite bad today and I have lost the number of times I have been to the loo and it is now getting really sore if you know what I mean :blush: :ohmy:

Can I assume the mucus stuff that comes out is par for the course as well :whistles:

C700 - I guess you can yes

lesleya
14-07-08, 19:10
Strange you saying that I was off sick last year they told me i had a viral infection...then they said low mood/panic/anxiety but it was actually all part of my menopausal stuff wether they say its premnopausal or menopause it still makes you feel crap..moody (could fight with a feather some days) ...lol...tired/lethargic/headaches/migraine/backpain etc.
I started being pre-menopausal they told me when i was 43 as i was having very heavy periods, but my gyneacologist gave me tablets called 'Tranexamic Acid' and they are brilliant they slow the flow down and ease backpain and cramp that goes with it....best thing ive ever been given. The girl next door to me is on them too as and shes having similar probs and she says theyve really helped her too. But i get very little and they are scanty now...thank goodness.
But the worse thing out of all of it was my panics and anxiety returned after all those years without them it was like WHAM back with a vengance from nowhere..or so it seemed
I know doctors dont like to admit that if your under 50 that you can be pre-menopausal or in the menopause as the text books say 50 and over...but its rubbish. My mums friend went through it all by time she was 37, and my friend at work hasnt had a period for 3 yrs and shes 46 now..no flushes or sweats either.
But the doc will be able to hopefully put your mind at ease soon.
Did you ring to see if you can get a cancellation?
Take care and hope your feeling better
xx

nomorepanic
14-07-08, 19:56
Thanks Lesley.

My panic all came back about 4 weeks ago when I was under the weather and then started feeling faint all the time and then got the throat problems back and hence the panic!

I just about have it under control now so I will ask them about hormones.

I didn't ring the docs - completely forgot lol

lesleya
15-07-08, 11:36
Hi nic I was just worried...The tablets i mentioned arent hormone replacement treatments theyre just for heavy periods and pain etc.
Ive never been offered any hormone replacement therapy or help, as the gp practise i have since i moved out into the sticks are absolute rubbish.
But if does turn out to be a hormonal problem you have i hope your gp can help ease you through it....good luck hun. Let us know what they say.
xx

Piglet
16-07-08, 15:23
Can I assume the mucus stuff that comes out is par for the course as well :whistles:

Eeeeewwwwww!! Yes you can cos I had that too when I had the big horrible bout of IBS that kept me running from the bathroom to the bedroom and back again for about a month.

I had to do a sample in a tin tray to be then put in a jar with a spatula - I can't tell you how foul that was, I was retching the whole time and when I wasn't retching I was poohing - oh eeeeeeewwwww all over again remembering it. The things I share with you people!!! :lac:
:blush: :yesyes:

Piglet :flowers:

Cathy V
16-07-08, 15:31
Just to recap on my brother, who has Crohn's. He was waiting on some test results to see if he also has IBS, and got them today, and the gastroenterologist said the tests werent absolutely conclusive but that he was almost certain he has it....but, he pescribed anti-depressants (10mg) for it and said it might help because it will realx the muscles or something.

Has anyone else been given these to treat IBS symptoms at all?

Cathy xxx

nomorepanic
21-07-08, 11:51
I went to see GP this morning and explained all the symptoms and in particular this pain in the groin area.

We talked about my irregular periods as well and she decided to do an internal examination and took some swabs.

She said that the area I am getting the pain in could be a problem related to ovaries, womb etc but could also be related to the Crohns.

She is going to write to the consultant I see about the Crohns and see if he will see me again asap to check it isn't that but she also wants me to go and have a scan on my womb and ovaries.

No idea what that involves though - anyone had one? Please don't tell me they shove you in one of those claustrophobic tunnel things to do it.:scared15:

Pain is really bad today so haven't gone into work. Been to the loo 5 times already today so not a good day for me :mad:

EmmaJane
21-07-08, 11:54
Hi Nic,

Sorry your not so good at the moment. No I havent had this done, so I can't help you there, but can just say that Im thinking of you.

xx

nomorepanic
21-07-08, 20:41
Thanks EmmaJane

I did google scans and I don't think it involves tunnel things lol

Cathy V
21-07-08, 21:25
No nic, the scan is the same as they give you when you're pregnant, on your tummy with the gel and the monitor screen thingy. I know what you mean about the tunnel thingy tho...noooo waaaaay! :ohmy:

nomorepanic
21-07-08, 21:37
Thanks Cathy

I have never had a baby so didn't know what they would be doing lol.

Cathy V
21-07-08, 21:38
Oh and they might ask you to drink loads before you have it, coz a full bladder makes the womb easier to scan.

Cathy V
21-07-08, 21:43
Well if youve ever seen anyone on tv having a baby and having one of these scans its just the same in reality. Its not painful at all and only takes about 5 mins or so. I was also surprised when i went for my heart checks last month and they did this type of scan just under my left boob to scan my heart...amazing!

But in the past ive had them for womb probs too, heavy periods etc.

nomorepanic
21-07-08, 21:44
I now just have to wait for the appointment - no idea how long that will take and hope to see the consultant about the Crohn's asap as well.

Cathy V
21-07-08, 21:50
I hope all goes well anyway with the various teste etc. im flying over to uk tomorrow eve but ironically i wont have as much access to computer as i do here! I wont be back in germany til september but will be meeting one or two of the other members on my travels in uk, so in the meantime take care nic.

Cathy xxx

nikki39
21-07-08, 21:52
Hi Nic,

I had a scan on all my internal organs including my ovaries, bladder etc cos I had the same pain that you are experiencing and was convinced that it was my left ovary. It did involve placing gel on your stomach and passing a probe over which is completely painless. They told me they thought I had a sensitive ovary as they could not detect any cysts etc but unfortunately with me they also found a 6 inch fluid filled cyst on the tail of my pancreas which I am waiting to see if they are going to leave or drain as it is causing me some discomfort now.

I also suffer from IBS or so I have been told although I never have had a colonoscopy to rule out anything else and sometimes when I get that pain it hurts when I press down near the ovary area and then disappears when I have a bowel movement so I am still none the wiser what it is.

Hope you feel better soon

Nikkixxxx

nomorepanic
21-07-08, 21:53
Oh Cathy - let us know where you are in the UK when you can. You never know you may be near me!

Have a lovely trip

Cathy V
21-07-08, 22:05
Yes could be. im starting off in wolves with one daughter, stafford with another daughter (meeting granny primark lynn here) then llandudno to see my son (meeting milly jones here) and prestatyn to see my mom...oh and liverpool to see my brother, so take your pick! pm me if you think i might be nearby at any point and you can grab me while im passing....:)

EmmaJane
21-07-08, 22:07
TUT TUT Nic,
No googling....Altohugh I have today aswell lol xx

nomorepanic
21-07-08, 22:10
EJ - I am not a serial googler though I should really google the Crohn's and get some advice on that lol.

I don't have HA as such so it isn't too bad for me to google but sometimes you come across something you wish you hadn't read don't you?

Southern_Belle
22-07-08, 15:26
Nic,

There is also such a thing as an ultrasound scan. If they suggest this to you it is different than what the others have described. I've had two done and it isn't what you would think it would be. I thought it would be like what the others have stated where they scan the outside. PM me if you want further details. Hope you are feeling better.

Laura xxxl

nomorepanic
22-07-08, 22:28
Laura

Thanks will PM you

nomorepanic
18-08-08, 19:47
I went for the Ultrasound today and turns out I have fibroids and an ovarian cyst. That will explain the pain then I guess.

I have to go back for a 2nd scan in 6 weeks to see if the cyst has grown in size or even gone!

The fibroids will go once I get the menopause apparently.

Just thought I would update the thread anyway.

Cathy V
18-08-08, 20:03
Fibroids are also responsible for heavy bleeding. Im surprised that theyve more or less told you to just put up with them until the menopause (this is because they shrink away without oestrogen to feed them, and of course no oestrogen means no periods) but am i right that you are only in your 30s? fibroids can be very slow growing i know but to expect you to put up with the discomfort they bring until you are in your 50s is a bit off beam for me. They can deal with fibroids surgically if they are very troublesome.

Cathy V.

nomorepanic
18-08-08, 20:14
Fibroids are also responsible for heavy bleeding. Im surprised that theyve more or less told you to just put up with them until the menopause (this is because they shrink away without oestrogen to feed them, and of course no oestrogen means no periods) but am i right that you are only in your 30s?

Thanks for the reply
Oh I love you Cathy :yahoo: I am 42 (just wish I was 30 lol). She said I should go back to doc and discuss things in 2 weeks time so I will ask her then. Tried to make an appointment today and can't see her until 8th September :mad:

Hopefully the cyst will go away on its own.

Cathy V
18-08-08, 20:35
Ooops about the age :blush: but 42 is still young when you might not hit the menopause for another 10 years.

There is a procedure where they can tie them off so that no blood supply will get to them and they shrivel and disappear. Sorry to be so graphic but just meant that it doesnt always have to result in hysterectomy which i think alot of women think is the only answer with fibroids.

The ovarian cyst could well disappear of its own accord, yes. I was told i had one some years ago but not now.

lesleya
18-08-08, 21:05
Oh nic glad youve found out at last and hope its put your mind at ease a little.
But what a bummer though you get rid of the fibrioids when you get the menopause.....dont know which id rather have being honest.
Are they going to do anything for you hun.?

nomorepanic
18-08-08, 23:24
I am not worried about the fybroids as they weren't worried - just the cyst lol.

I will see what the doc says and the next scan reveals.

I was more worried about being in a hot hospital and a dark claustrophobic room to worry about what they told me lol.

nomorepanic
19-08-08, 23:23
ahh just read that back pain is associated with cysts- I have had terrible back pain for weeks - guessed it was being overweight and now it may not be!

Good to know

Southern_Belle
20-08-08, 01:31
So much to deal with Nic, hoping you are feelng better and they get a cancellation and can see you sooner.

Many hugs,

Laura

nomorepanic
20-08-08, 22:32
Thanks Laura

I don't think they want to see me any sooner as they want to see how it grows or shrinks.

I am seeing doc in 3 weeks anyway just for a chat.

Jan63
10-11-08, 10:22
Just been reading this thread and wondering how you went on with your cyst. I had an ovarian cyst 17 years ago just after the birth of my first baby which came in the last few weeks of pregnancy and hurt like hell when the baby kicked it. They didn't find out what was the matter until three weeks after I had had him although the pain was subsiding a bit by then but my doctor insisted I go for a scan and I had to go back the same day to see the consultant. He left it for two weeks to see if it went down any but it didn't so he said he wanted to operate and I was back in hospital having it removed when my baby was 5 1/2 weeks old. I also had to have my ovary and tube out too.