PDA

View Full Version : Job Interview on Monday--any advice plz?

Gryphoenix
13-07-08, 03:21
I haven't been to an interview in ages, and I'm notoriously bad at saying what I mean when I want to say it when nervous or put on the spot. Performance anxiety, if you will. I was so excited when I went to see Grauman's Chinese Theater I couldn't tell the cashier at the souvenir store what I wanted! "The thing--over there--by your shoulder--you know, that thing!"

Anyway I don't know what the questions will be and I've only had one (impressive company type place) big job interview before and that was a few years ago when I was like 17 and it was SCARY and I ended up not getting the job, it kinda hit me hard even though I know it shouldn't and I cried really hard about it. TT__TT

So now I have this backup feeling that says: if they say you can't have the job you're gonna feel horrible and cry and be miserable...

I'm pretty sure they'll say things like: What's your best asset? And I'm really terrible at propping myself up so I never know what to say.
And then later of course in the car I'll figure out all the great things I really wanted to say...

So yes I need some advice please--even if I'm not panicky I'm still bad at saying what I want to say and that makes me very anxious. TT__TT

nomorepanic
13-07-08, 15:53
They like to ask horrible questions like ...

What assets do you think you can bring to this company?

What are your best attributes and what are your worst?

Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?

Describe a situation where you felt you contributed something signifcant to the last job you did.

If a team member wasn't pulling their weight what would you do?

etc etc.

These are what I can remember from my last interview last year anyway.

They also may give you a test if that is relevant.

Also make sure you have read up on the company as they will always say:

What do you know about us?

Make notes on these kind of questions and be prepared.

What kind of job is it?

Good luck anyway if I don't hear back before tomorrow.

noworriesnocries
13-07-08, 20:54
since you haven't been at a job interview for a while, think about this as a practice... don't expect too much out of it, other then learning about what goes around at the interviews nowadays. if you get it, wonderful... if not, now you know what to do next time :) That is how I went to my first interview after some years... i didn't get it, but i feel more equipped and relaxed for the next one now :)

milly jones
13-07-08, 21:22
my advice is practical

take bottle water, tissues, rescue remedy, notes?

be as prepared as u can night before so no racing about on the morning

try and eat something even if its only a little

and deep breaths and allow urself thinking time before answering the question, take ur time hun

all the very best of luck, and let us know pls

love milly xxx

Krakers
13-07-08, 21:36
Hi there - I've literally interviewed hundreds of people and written most of the Q's myself. You should have got Job Spec, and already been preparing to answer questions on that. Some companys (but not all) also give out Person Specs, which will also have questions weighted towards them.

If you do have either of these I can try and help with some specific questions they may ask - just PM back and I'll let you have my Email address.

They do ask generic questions as posted above also. The best advice I can give is avoid yes or no answers - a good interviewer should always try to rephrase the question if you struggle with it, but theres many people in positions of authority who simply havfen't been trained to interview.

Also give practicle examples whenever you can. Let them know that you have experience. It doesn't have to be job experience - you can relate to anything in your life or prior education which may answer the question.

Always prepare questions to ask at the end, and try to avoid "how many hours", "how much is the salary", "what are the holidays".

As Nic said try and read up about the company. For example if the company has a training scheme in place, or likes to promote from within ask something about this. eg "Having read up about the company I can see you operate job specific training where required. Will this be available to me in my role, and will it help me progress within the company ?". Theres many others you can ask too. They may be expanding, they may just have closed another site, they may intend to relocate, they may have a lot of overseas work, they may work cross sites, you may be expected to travel. Look at the literature they sent you, their website, google them and ask questions that are releavant.

Also, the answer to "where do you see yourself in 5 years" doesn't have to be "still here doing the same job". I got my first job in London by answering that after 2 years I'd like to have progressed either internally or using the skills I'd learned to find another position. It was the right answer, they weren't looking for a plodder.

Questions you may struggle on, so rehearse are as follows :

1 Tell me about a time / situation where you made a major achievement ?
2 Tell me about a time / situation where you struggled to make a deadline and how you overcame it ?
3 Have you ever not been able to complete a task on time ?
4 Was there ever a situation you weren't able to cope with ?
5 What are your strengths and weaknesses ?
6 What can you bring to the table that others can't ?

A tip on number 5 is take a strength and turn it into a weakness. It always sounds good. Like "I really commit myself to my work, so sometimes feel its difficult to let it go once I have to pass it on". Or "I am sometimes too much of a perfectionist and always try to make sure everything is 100%." Or "I find it difficult to delegate sometimes, as I want to make sure my conception is completed to the best possible standard."

For number 6 always say whtat you can bring as you can't comment on others.

Also theres the questions that will be oriented around your skill set and the skills for the job. Once again give practical examples. I can't help you with this without seeing the Job Spec.

If you don't understand a question, don't be afraid to say. Either ask them to rephrase it, or tell them that you don't know what they are asking. Don't waffle on instead and not answer the intended question or you won't score.

Demonstrate you can work as part of a team, and as an individual. Also demonstrate that you can hit deadlines and targets. This can be done in previous answers by giving practical examples. If you've got a bit of a wooden interviewer that asks a question you've already answered previously, just refer them back to your previous answer and elaborate a little more.

And this is worth mentioning just one more time - the answers do not have to be job or work related. You can pull ansers and experience from any walk of life. If you don't know immediately don't be afraid to ask for a moment to think about it. I know it'll feel like ages, but it will give you time to compose yourself. A glass of water is also a good idea, as taking a sip can give you extra seconds to think. If you happen to run out of water too, don't be afraid to ask for a refill if not provided. It can give you time to relax a little if the going gets tough.

A lot to read sorry - theres a whole lot more if you want it, but the Job and Person specs would certainly help.

Good luck.

Krakers.

smbljb
14-07-08, 01:25
Grypheonix,

I'm also truly terrible in interviews and struggle greatly with technical tests, not because I can't do them but mainly because I work myself into such a state that I just can't think straight. At the moment I'm in the same boat as you and am looking for work after being out of work and still signed off sick with anxiety. What I've found usefull in previous interviews is downloading 'The 30 most common interview questions and answers' and bits like that. It does give you confidence if you nail a question, even if it feels a bit fake giving a stock answer to a stock question !

Krakers ... ? Could I PM you also and ask for some advice ?

Cheers

Hope 2
14-07-08, 04:10
Hiya :D

GOOD LUCK with the interview today we r all rooting for yah.

Hope xx

Krakers
14-07-08, 05:01
Hi smbljb - I'm happy to help - PM away.

Krakers.

Gryphoenix
14-07-08, 22:46
Thanks for all your helps and tips everybody! Thanks also for the huge in-depth post Krakers, that really helped.

I did fine actually, and it was a lot easier than I expected! It'll be a couple weeks before I know anything so here's hoping. I think my mind was distracted enough by the people and new surroundings so that I didn't have time to let my mind wander and get scared, also this time I noticed I didn't have a long waiting time. The lats time I had the 'bad' interview I had a long waiting time and it was very intimidating!

milly jones
14-07-08, 22:51
well done hunny

keeping my fingers crossed

milly xxx

aurora
14-07-08, 22:56
Hi there,

As you know, practicing as much as you can/anticipating questions will help you, but of course you can only prepare so much. I think the important thing to remember is that we are always much much more critical of ourselves than others are of us. If you think you did a bad job, your interviewer may not have seen it that way. I had this experience in my last interview. I thought I completely bombed every question and was crying afterwards, but I must have done OK, because I got the job. Of course, I have also been turned down for several jobs, but I realize now that those places weren't right for me anyway. If you really have the passion and the ability for the job, and you remember to smile, the interviewer will most likely be able to see that. Good luck!!!!

Krakers
15-07-08, 00:18
Well done on your interview - I'm pleased it went so well !

Fingers crossed for you hun,

Krakers.