PDA

View Full Version : Need some reassurance plz

Magik
13-07-08, 17:43
Well, I went to the ER on Wednesday night, with shortness of breath, severe weakness, tingly hands and face, swollen ankles, and Palpatations. I couldn't catch my breath for anything. So they hooked me up to a monitor, did an E.K.G. Gave me some kind of breathing therapy. Said my potassium was really low. A 2.8.

Let me go home because it finally stopped after like, 3-4 hours.

Next night, around the same time, it happened again. I was given a potassium supplement, and it went back up to 4. Which is good. But things happened again, just not as severe as before. They gave me a Catscan with Iodine dye to check for blockages. Found nothing. Said my heart and lungs seemed fine. Kept me overnight. Gave me a treadmill Stress test in the morning. Again, I didn't do well, didn't get very far into the test, before I lost it. Which lead to crying severly. They gave me a heart monitor to take home to record my days events. But being as I hadn't slept for two days, that's pretty much all I did.

Doctor suggested Panick attacks, and I'm not sure if this might be the case or not, I have been studying up on them and it does seem as if just being here is helping a tad bit. Least with my breathing. Just strange how it seems to happen the same time. I've been avoiding it by falling asleep before then. Which isn't healthy for me. Any ideas if this might really be? I have an appointment tomorrow, what do you think my odds are, if I asked, that he could give me like a trail amount of some kind of nerve medication, to see if it will stop this from happening?

noworriesnocries
13-07-08, 19:15
Dear Magik,

When I was diagnoised with panic attacks last may, it was at the ER too... I had hyperventilation syndrome at the same time, which made me look from outside like I was having a seizure... I was so cramped up, all my joints were stiff, and were not able to move. The nurses had to massage them gently to open my fingers and toes up. I was monitored for hours through the EKG, had an chest xray for the sharp pain I had right above my heart, had a very fast heart rate, and a very high high blood pressure. I also had a very very low pottassium level, perheps all was used during my attack. I was numb on my face, my toes, fingers... I had twitching muscles, tremors, etc... I coul dnot believe it was a panic attack, I thought I was dying... I got tested and examined by my family doc., and was confirmed once again by the diagnosis. I was given ativan at the hospital, and propranolol to take home with me. I was put under propranolol (a beta blocker) for a year. It did not start helping right away. My doctor recommended to keep going with the beta blocker for at least a couple of months. If the attacks were not going worse or increase in severity, he told me that we would not add any other medicines to my perscription. With the help of my loved ones, and friends who are therapists, I did a great deal of talking... I never gave up my hope, I wanted to get better. I learned golfing, first couple of months with shaking hands, sweaty palms, small stress rashes on my elbows, hairloss, small attacks... And my body slowly let go... I read a lot of books, did a number of relaxation techniques, contained my worrying to a time frame during the day, where I wrote about it instead of just thinking about it (it slows down the worry process) etc... and many other recommended things like yoga, meditation, breathing techniques... My last attack was 6 months ago. I got off of the medicine this May... I am feeling much better. I am 29 years old female, and happy to get my life back. I am now looking for a job, and feel less stressed. Although I quit grad school, and feel like I left something undone, unfinished, I learned I can always go back. Be patient with yourself. Seek the help of your close friends or relatives. Pick new hobbies, anything that will distract you from thinking about your next attack or previous ones. You will get better! Many people did. I know it is very difficult, but don't look at other possible illnesses on the internet etc... It makes it worse, and you start worrying more. There are a great number of people with this illness, and many successfully recovers. With all my best wishes... Hope you feel better soon~

Magik
14-07-08, 01:54
Dear NoWorries,
Thank you for that. And yeah, I had already started looking at other illnesses on the internet. Something that didn't help in the least but made my panick attacks seem to start up again. I'm hoping tonight, I don't get one. I'll know in about an hour but I'm trying to find something to keep my mind off of it all. Thanks for your advice and I'm really glad you shared your story with me.

I used to think having panic attacks meant people just couldn't control their stress, something, I never foresaw myself having trouble with, but I believe, with some management, I can get myself back to being normal. I have high hopes that with some meds for abit, maybe I can "Outgrow" these and if they are panic attacks, that I won't have them again. Hopeful thinking I know, but I don't want to go through that again.

Take care and thank you again for your words of wisdom and guidance