PDA

View Full Version : Convinced I'm not going to be able to breathe!

NickyL
14-07-08, 09:40
Hi, my name's Nicky and I've been having panic attacks for the last 3 and a half years - I usually manage to get them under control but they seem to surface when I am stressed or worried about something.

In the past few days though, my panic fears seem to have been replaced by this feeling that I am going to stop breathing because something is going to happen to my lungs to stop them working. So I have this constant feeling of anticipation that my breathing will stop which hits me as soon as I wake up - I don't feel breathless or wheezy or anything like that, there are no physical symptoms, just a feeling of dread that this will happen. Does anyone else have this? I am concerned about it becoming a full blown phobia plus I also have a fear of choking when I eat, I am trying to be strong and not let it get a hold but as I'm sure everyone out there knows, the constant need to be strong and not let it get a hold is exhausting, emotionally and physically.

Does anyone else have these feelings and have you managed to ovecome them? I live on my own and I'm fine when I'm at work or with my friends and family but when I'm on my own it's worse as there aren't as many distractions.

janey124
14-07-08, 10:26
Hi Nicki
I get this all the time.I have suffered with this for over 7 years now.I went on seroxat and stayed on them for 3 years then came off them cold turkey about 3 years ago.
Suddenly for some unknown reason my anxiety has come back.
I get very bad dizzy spells which in turn stop me from eating being sick and then sending me into a full panic attack.
I don't know what causes this because i have nothing to worry about in my business or personal life.
Maybe its just me being a very nervous person as i can always find something to worry about whether it be concious or sub conscious.
My husband talks me through it but doesnt always help bless him.
I have had blood tests on a few occassions but everything has come back fine.
Maybe i will just have to live with it
Take care

Janey:hugs:

jue67
14-07-08, 11:17
Hi Nicky.
thats exactly how i feel when i get really stressed, but i have to be really stressed when it happens. i had my first panic attack ever after choking on a bloody crisp!! so i didnt eat crisps for months, i wouldnt eat meat or anything i thought i could choke on. Then to cap it all i got the dreaded lump in my throat, i was down at casualty more often than at home, then i read on a website it was a symptom of panic and anxiety.

i think you know that your not just gonna stop breathing, you have to try and rationalise this to yourself.(easier said than done). Why would your body just stop breathing, they dont do that, thats what i used to say and have been this morning to myself. i got stressed coming home yesterday on a trip and am so tense and ache cos i held my self tense the whole 2 hours. Lord the things we do to ourselves. lol.

i hope your okay, and can get some rest, i know for me that sleep and plenty of it, and relaxation c.d.s are the way forward.
love to you

jools

NickyL
14-07-08, 16:18
Hi and thanks to both of you who have replied, it is reassuring to know that other people know what I'm talking about! Am feeling OK at the moment and it is always hard to understand why I feel like this when I feel OK. Thanks to you both for replying and I hope you manage to overcome your problems too.

Best wishes, Nicky