PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam question

decca
14-07-08, 20:02
Hi,
Following on from Popsy's "Diazepam level usage" can any Diazepam users please advise how often they have to increase the dosage level to maintain it's effect and by how much the dose is increased by.
Many thanks in advance.
Decca.

kazzie
14-07-08, 23:15
Hi Decca:)

From my understanding diazipam should be used on an as as when basis not every day!!!!

Now I could be wrong as Im not a doctor!!!

I take it but prob only once or twice a week when I have a bad day

From what I understand it is highly addictive and if you are needing to up the dose you may have problems!!!

Hope you get sorted soon

Kaz x

lesleya
15-07-08, 11:23
Hi
I was a diazapam - valium user for 15 yrs - its a highly addictive drug and needs to be monitored carefully. If your feeling the need to keep increasing the dose to get any benefits then you need to go back and see your gp and see what he advises.
I did the same thing and the dose just kept going up and up, i was popping them like smarties and eventually i wasnt getting any benefits apart from the comfort of taking them.
I know its so hard when your feeling panicy and anxious just to take one, but please talk to your gp and see what advice he can give you.
Hope you get things sorted.
Take care
xx

decca
15-07-08, 11:55
Hi & thanks guys,
Yea, I fully understand what you're saying,I've been on 2mg per day since mid Feb. ( about 20 weeks ) and Doc. seems still happy to give me repeat scripts for it but I was just wondering if I was going to get tolerance or addiction at what stage would I get it, would I have had something by now ?

Decca.

lesleya
15-07-08, 12:17
Addiction / tolerance is something only you can judge. You would know if you were addicted.
I knew i was addicted as i was a mess without them or the thought of being without them was enough. If i was running out of pills especially on a weekend if id taken more than i shouldve during the week - which i did on a regular basis i would panic like hell/sweat/hyperventilate i didnt know where to turn sometimes and i was agoraphobic too so i was a total basket case if i had no pills and i had to go out in a taxi to collect them from the doctors my feelings were just pure fear.
Its something i couldnt and wouldnt ever put myself through again.
But valium is a good medication if its used properly and on a short term basis or on an 'as and when' basis as kazzie said. But i was on them for 15 yrs so please dont judge yourself on my experiences ....
Please speak to your gp he can answer your concerns and give you the best advice.
Take care
xx

decca
15-07-08, 13:26
Thanks Lesleya,
In that case I guess I am addicted. I was prescribed Diaz. for severe early morning tension which was making my heart race and pushing up my blood pressure, if I don't take the Diaz. I get the symptoms back.I hate having to take them.
Decca.

lesleya
15-07-08, 13:41
I can only go by my own personal experiences decca and tell you how i felt, but you may have different reasons for taking them. Sorry to sound boring but discussing it with your gp is the only option as he can answer any questions at all you have in regards to your condition and medication, your obviously worried about this and it wont be helping your condition in the long run so express your concerns as soon as possible to your doctor.
Take care hun.

Elaine19825
30-07-08, 18:04
Hi Decca,

I can totally relate to you! When my mum passed away 5 years ago i was in a real bad way and took 6mg a day for 6-8 weeks and then came off them fine ( was quite young, only 20 so wasn't really aware of becoming addicted). Anyways i've had a delayed grief reaction in a bad way (started counselling 6 weeks ago) and now for the past 12 months have been taking a 2mg dose as and when i need it. But for the past 2 weeks my panic has been unmanagable (lots of things have been happening) so have been taking 6mg a day. Am going back to GP on Fri cos to be honest they're taking the edge off but i'm still freaking out at work. There must be a better way than this. I worry i'll become addicted or am but to be honest i've never felt this awful before so i'm thinking i have to do all i can to get thro each day.

Cos you're only taking 2mg a day i think you'll be fine cutting them in half and taking 1mg for a couple of weeks. But def speak to your GP and tell him he has to help you in others ways than just D as it should only be used short term or on an as and when basis.

You will stop taking them when you're ready, then you'll just like to have a pack in your bag just incase. Then one day you'll realise wow i haven't had any in my bag for months and didn't even notice. It is a long road but we'll get there!

Hope my post helped

E x

decca
31-07-08, 10:32
Thanks Elaine,
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss and that you're having such a bad time at the moment.I hope the Doc. can help you feel better soon.
It's strange , some days I feel as if I don't need to take the Diaz.at all but I do in case I go into withdrawal, but just once in a while I go through a really bad patch and need to take at least half mg before I get out of bed.I can usually link the bad times with changes going on in my life, like now my wife has decided to give up work ,It'll be great to have her home with me but it means changes to all our benefits and incomes which is causing me a bit of anx. 'til it's all sorted.
Thanks very much for your post, hope you feel better soon.
Decca

Elaine19825
31-07-08, 21:34
Don't worry Decca, i can totally relate to how you feel. You know you feel better taking it but are constantly worried you'll become addicted. If i were you when you're feeling ok take half a tablet and when you're feeling rough take the whole 2mg. You may find you feel ok. I really doubt you'll have major withdrawl as its the lowest dose they do but again its best to check with the doc on how best to stop taking it. But remember you will have to stop taking it at some point so try not to constantly think about the withdrawl affects - i think on your dose within a couple of weeks you'll be fine. Once i start to feel better i plan to take 4mg a day for a week, then 2 mg a day for a week, then 1 mg etc and see how i go. It will take time but we'll get thro it.

I esp know your fears about D so msg me if you ever wanna chat or post a D question - i'll keep my eyes out for them.

E x

decca
31-07-08, 23:07
Thanks Elaine , you're a star,
Yea that's exactly how I feel and what you suggest is a good idea but I'll wait 'til things have settled down again before I change the dose.
I've split the 2mg so that I take 1 mg mornings, half mg mid day and half mg at night, I'm hoping I'll be a able to gradually leave off half mg fortnightly then split the 1mg.I'm coming up for a Meds review so I'll run it past my Doc. then.
I did it with Phenobarb. so I'm sure I can do it with Diaz.
Thanks again.
Decca.