PDA

View Full Version : Back to the breast clinic - I was only there January

JennyW
15-07-08, 17:55
To recap. I went to the breast clinic in January for a lump. After a mammogram and ultra-sound, it turned out to be nothing :D and reported that I was full of nodules and cysts. Anyway, I've always tried to be aware of these when I check myself every month, however this weekend when I was checking myself, I couldn't work out if the lump I could feel was one discovered from the ultrasound or a new one :huh: in the end I was doubting myself and got myself into a panic. so, after prodding and checking it for the last couple of days I decided to go to the GP for some reassurance. She was very nice and agreed that the "lump" was small, mobile and smooth and probably nothing to worry about but said it's always a tricky situation as you cant dismiss a lump from a clinical exam so she said it wouldn't hurt to go back to the consultant for a follow up but told me that she didn't think it was anything to worry about.

So, off I go again :unsure: I have an appointment next Tuesday. I hope the consultant wont think I'm wasting his time? :shrug:

After having the tests done in January, do you think the chances are slim the lump is something horrible? I cant believe I'm going through this again 6 months on. the GP said I need to speak to him about some sort of plan as I cant keep doing this every 3/6/12 months. I may as well get my own ultrasound machine.

milly jones
15-07-08, 19:04
hun

in my humble opinion u cant be too careful with boobs

ive had one lump aspirated and one removed, both benign.

my gp is always more than happy to send me for a mammogram and examination when i 'discover' something. i have never had anything sinister, but am coming up to menopausal age when i guess changes may happen. i ask the nurse at the practise to check now regularly just to be on the safe side.

the hosp are superb at detecting abnormalities and will be able to put ur mind at rest

love milly xx

strawberrie
15-07-08, 21:41
hi jenny, i'm so sorry you are going through this again, i am also going through the same thing atm so i know how it feels. It really doesnt sound like you have anything to worry about, i'm sure anything would've been picked up when you had the tests before, but if its on your mind, its much better to get it checked out just to put your mind at rest.

Let us know how you get on, i would be interested to see about what plan your gp comes up with, as i have the same worries as you.

i'm sure everything will be fine :flowers:

Alisonj
16-07-08, 03:27
In this case because your doctor has felt something to and it is so hard for you to determine the lumps yourself I believe you are defintely doing the right thing. It is better to be safe than sorry. My mother has very cystic breast and has more exams done by the doctor because she cannot determine herself if they are worrisome or not.
Lots of luck at the appt and I am sure all is well but good for you for be so diligent in doing your breast exams!

JennyW
16-07-08, 08:28
thanks guys :hugs:

I just hate going through this :wacko:. Every month when I'm checking myself I do it with dread coz of the lumps and bumps I have :blush: . I remember the consultant telling me "that I would know" if there was anything horrible but that doesn't make you feel better when you feel something different does it?

And, as usual, my husband isnt around so I'm sort of going through it alone (again) :huh:

strawberrie
17-07-08, 13:38
hi jenny, just thought i would post again as i have come back from my appointment with the consultant. Unfortunately he told me that i have very lumpy boobs and when i told him i just don't know what to look out for any more he told me that i need to check for anything that feels different but that lasts (i.e. does not go away after my next period), however he did say that because of my lumpy boobs i may well have to resign myself to the fact that i will need to visit the breast clinic quite often just to get checked out. Well, although its not something i'm going to look forward to, i know that i will feel better taking control of the situation and knowing that i am doing everything i can to keep myself healthy. As you said you have lots of noduley bits (just like me - arent we the lucky ones :lac: ) my guess is that maybe this is something us lumpy types need to go through once in a while just for our own peace of mind.

I'm sure everything will go fine for you, i am still waiting for absolute confirmation of my results so i know how it feels. Big hugs :hugs: We'll get through it!

JennyW
18-07-08, 09:01
Hi Strawberrie. I'm glad all went well at the appointment and I'm sure the results are just fine :yesyes: (they don't leave these things).

It's very frustrating isn't it? I'm going to ask the consultant about how to best handle the situation, perhaps I should have ultrasound every year or something. Thing is, no matter what the consultant says about what to look for and feel, whenever you find something, you still get that feeling of dread - it just takes over doesn't it?

I'm going to try and have a nice weekend and not think about it :unsure: