PDA

View Full Version : Mirtazipine

apple66
15-07-08, 19:57
Hi all Having had a up hill battle for most of my life i decided to go to the Doctors as i was feeling anxious about everyday situations anyway he prescribed me mirtazipine last night was my first encounter with the drug and this morning i felt like a puppet with no string basically like a lump of lead, i took it at 8:15 the previous night and i still feel pretty dizzy now 24 hours later, dosage is 15mg, thing is if i take one tonight feeling the way i do now sleepy am i gonna wake up before midday tomorrow feel a bit confused should i miss a night ? :unsure:

Cathy V
15-07-08, 20:18
Hi apple, there may be a member who knows about this drug and will spot your thread and give you some advice, but in the meantime maybe you could call nhs-direct and ask them what they suggest. If there are no nurses or docs to answer you straight away they usually call you back. Ive never taken this drug, but from how you say you feel i would prob feel the same way about missing a dose. but its best to get a medical opinion.

Cathy xxxx :)

freakedout
16-07-08, 00:33
Hi,

I dont know whether you were taking any antidepressants before Mirtazapine but when I first started taking antideps I was exhausted initially. I yawned all the time. I changed my meds a few times and am now taking Mirtazapine 45mg and have been for over a year. As I was swapping from one to another I didnt really notice any initial new side effects, but Mirtazapine has strong sedative effects which is why it is advised to be taken at night. I was an insomniac and had disturbed sleep, since taking the Mirtazapine I sleep much better. However, if taken too late I can feel groggy the following morning, sometimes until midday.

So, if it is your first antidepressant stick with it if you can, the initial side effects are less noticeable after a couple of weeks. Once taken you will feel pretty sleepy within the hour so consider this too, and avoid taking too late if you dont want to feel too groggy the following morning. That is just my experience and your situation may be different. Good luck with what you decide to do, and note that most antidepressants take a couple of weeks before the benefits are noticable.

Take care

Freaky

apple66
16-07-08, 07:54
Hi thanks for getting back to me, i decided to miss my second does and feel so called " normal this morning" i don't normally have a problem with sleep so will be ring the GP today as my working day starts a 6am and have been off work because of this, i am sure there is an alternative out there but a seditive this strong is what i don't need.
Thanks again

apple66
16-07-08, 08:48
As this 15mg seems to much for me to handle, i mean i was part of the walking dead for the whole day, 8am to 8pm maybe they will half the amount to 7.5mg, is that possible, hope its that simple
:unsure:

jo61
16-07-08, 10:24
I've been on this for many years. In my experience, the sedation doesn't change with changes in dosage. However, it does take a few weeks for the sedation to get to managable levals. I can now take it at night and be bright eyed in the morning.

apple66
16-07-08, 17:23
Rang the Doctor this morning and said i was a wash out on 15mg on first pill, i explained that i never had a sleep problem and his said as i had been citalopram before maybe i should go back to them he said or seem to indicate Mirtazipine was just the next choice an alternative to what i had before so at a cross oads do i continue with the Mirtazipine [Persevere] or switch to Citalopram and forget the Mirtazipine, thing is it was wonderful to feel so chilled out with the Mirtazipine yet there was no way i could go to work or drive so i guess i need to switch as i need to work/drive, if i could be sure the drugged effect would not be so strong and long lasting i would stay with the Mirtazipine though.
Cheers