PDA

View Full Version : Cant be the only one?

Alisonj
16-07-08, 19:15
This is just kind of in response to a response I got in my thread "one step forward, two back" Someone asked me why I would take my pulse and that they would never think to take theirs and dont wanna know.
I honestly thought it was more common. With Health Anxiety we are all terrifed something is wrong with us. What is the first thing they do in the ER? YOur stats, they check your temp, BP, pulse, and normally pulse Oxygen level. So why would I not want to know what my pulse is? If it is important to the ER to know and help them determine wouldnt it be a first clue as to if something is actually wrong with me?
They do vitals all night long if you have had surgery etc. Pulse is a big factor is how your body is functioning so I just would have thought it was much more common for people to actually check theirs.

sheba2
16-07-08, 21:33
Hi Alison

I haven't read your other post yet but I just wanted to say I went through a long phase of checking my pulse for years. It started when I first had panic attacks and my pulse was racing. So fast I couldn't actually count it. Then I was given propanolol which made it a bit erratic but slowed it down quite a lot. I also had a lot of skipped beats whilst taking this med and it was then that I became obsessed with checking it. Even now it is something that I probably do a few times a week. However I am now on a different beta blocker and I don't get such erratic pulses but it is quite low around 54bpm. I think the average is somewhere around 68-72 but don't quote me on that. I don't like mine being low but then I don't like it being high either but I have learnt to accept that it is ok and that lots of things can affect the rate and that that is what your body is designed to do.

Cathy V
16-07-08, 21:39
Hi Alison, did the person who said this actually have HA? i dont really do it now, but there was a time when my heart phobia was at its peak (yes there was a time when i was alot worse believe me haha!) i would be obssesive about checking my pulse. If it was fast id be counting the beats against my watch, and if it was missing beats id check that too. I think its a 'normal' reation to health anxiety :)

Best wishes
Cathy xxx

Alisonj
16-07-08, 21:45
They were in this forum so I am not sure?
My pulse is slow, very slow. Normally 50, sometimes 40's. I hate it but so far all the docs say its a good thing?

Cathy V
16-07-08, 21:56
Ali what meds are you on if any? i take betablockers and these slow my heart rate down to around 50, but then the bloody ectopics start up! You also keep saying that you are not super fit, but if you work out you dont need to be 'super fit' to have a low pulse...and the clue is something i spotted in your other posts when you said if your pulse is around 40 you dont like it, so you get up and do a workout to increase it to make you feel better. If you are working out like this then you ARE fit.

You need to try to relax about it, and accept the docs when they say its ok. Do you think theyd send you home if your pulse was too low or life-threatening? my daughters bp is usually around 118/75 (shes 20) and her pulse is around 55....xxxx

Alisonj
16-07-08, 22:36
Thanks. I was previously on 4 different BP meds but I am over 2 mnths med free now and my BPs are under 115/70!!! I do exercise atleast 30 minutes a day. It is so hard to worry but I guess if it has been low this long than I should be fine!!
I am also on Paxil ativan and Clonazapam.

Cathy V
16-07-08, 22:46
Hey kiddo, really your pulse and bp are great, enjoy it while you can coz when you get to my age...forget it!!

I havent taken any of the meds you're on now but they could be slowing your system down too. But your doc would be aware of this and hes not bothered....try not to be too, i know its easy for me to say :D xxxxx

Alisonj
16-07-08, 23:17
Thanks so much Cathy, your post has really helped