PDA

View Full Version : does smoking affect symptoms?

Caraine
17-07-08, 16:27
Hi
Most of the day I can hear my heartbeat in my ears and this gets worse at night which of course makes me anxious and then sets off a full blown attack during the night - sweats, shaking, heart racing etc. though most of the time I can slow things down by deep breathing into a paper bag.

I also get pains in my left arm and behind my left breast. all heart checks were ok and I'm not menopausal so I presume it is all down to PD.

My question is - I smoke around 10-15 a day and wondered if this causes you to hear your heartbeat in the day (especially after 30 years :blush: ). Does it happen to anyone else? I know it is really loud during an attack. Of course all the doctors say is "everyone can hear their heart beat" Not like this I reply but do they listen...

hendey
19-07-08, 00:54
if heart checks are okay then thier should be nothing to worry about, just try and relax, do plenty of things to take your mind of off it all, try listenting to music, reading a book etc. have you told your doctors about the hearing of your heartbeat?, I would highly doubt it would be to do with you smoking. maybe it could be usefull to book up a free hearing check if you havnt already had one, or if possible cut down on smoking for a day and see if symptoms do improve.

sounds to me though just like classic anxiety.

Nechtan
19-07-08, 13:20
I smoke too, about 20 a day, though I am hoping on Monday to start on the patches again. I've found that in the morning after the first couple I feel really awful. My breathing especially is laboured and it can get me really anxious.

I've had the same symptoms at time as yourself- mainly at night. It could be down to the smoking but in my own case I thought it was more to do with being out of condition.

Caraine
19-07-08, 15:49
Thanks guys

I've tried to cut down or stop with willpower as i am allergic to patches, the gum makes me feel sick and I think the inhalater is disgusting (not that smoking isn't) lol.

I'll keep trying

ksmith
19-07-08, 17:24
I'm on the Champix tabs. So far they've been really effective.

Kay