PDA

View Full Version : Lump in my neck, such a shock! - please read

popsy
18-07-08, 09:32
Went to the doctor about 2 weeks ago with enlarged gland on side of my neck, he was conviced i had glandular fever but said because the gland was so large i should have a scan on it which he referred me for. He look bloods and my results then came back negative to GF - he then explained unless you have had it for so many days it doesnt show so the tests must be repeated in a weeks time (thats today) as he was still convinced thats what it is, and its what i was convinced i had too because of this.

Meanwhile, yesterday i had appointment to go up to hospital to have a scan on enormous gland on neck, was anxious but not too bad, all went ok until she (the consultant) said that the gland was v v hard and large and that she would have to take a biopsy of it there and then. I was petrified she started branding words about like like 'Lymphoma' (which is luckemia - sporry spelling) and how we must test for it. She then proceeded to put a needle into my neck to take a sample from the gland, i cannot tell you how painful this was!!!!! and it took ages as she complained the gland was so hard, they were pushing and pordding it and then needed a larger needle, it was all horrendous, by the time they'd finished i was in tears and shaking - the procedure took about 10mins.

The results wont be back for 10 days, i am convinced now i have this lymphoma and i am in such shock from yesterday, im very tearful and shakey! I want to just get on with life and just wait the 10 days but its all i can think about, that i might have cancer!!!

I think its also all my fault as i have complained before that i have suffered so much with anxiety/gad/panic that i wished i had a physical condition because surely that must be easier, and guess what ive got one now!!!! :weep:

Sorry to go on, if you've got this far you have the patience of a saint for reading it all. Im so scared and feel i have gone a long way backwards with my GAD and despression since yesterday.

I have to go and have another blood test today, never have i wished so much it comes back positive for GF this time, as consultant said if it does then i dont have to worry about biopsy results, what if it doesnt?????
I know im going to cry again when i see nurse for bloods, im so on the edge, im so fearful.

I dont know how to deal with this.....:scared15: Im soooo shocked!

Popsy x x x x x x:weep:

JoT
18-07-08, 09:45
Awwww :hugs: Popsy, what a total ordeal.

I can totally understand why you are scared, plus the fact that you have GAD will be enhancing this and you are now catastrophising and imagining what might happen.

Lumps on necks are very common and does not necessarily mean that it is anything sinister. It is good that they are being thorough and doing all the checks, it is probably standard procedure and docs and nurses are just factual about this stuff, not realising that you are taking in all the scary words like Lyphoma and that you are now assuming you have it.

Can you talk to your doctor for some reassurance? He wll understand that you need this extra reassurance because of your anxiety issues.

Good luck with your results, I'll be thinking of you :hugs:

Jo x

mandie
18-07-08, 09:55
Aww hun, u poor thing, so sorry u had to go through that yesterday

:bighug1: , iv pm'd you

love mandie xx

Charlottie
18-07-08, 11:14
*hugs*

I would have been terrified too! The doctors have to rule the most serious things out first, please try not to worry too much. I know it's easier said than done cause I would be in a total tizzy if I were you.

milly jones
18-07-08, 12:51
hi pops

think we chatted about aspiration the other day. i had this when i had a cyst in my breast. they take fluid to test. they do it to just be on the safe side hunny.

i know its difficult not to worry hun. the only help i can offer is that when i had another one, which was more complicated, they took it out straight away and then tested the lump.

both mine were benign.

i presume that if they had been more concerned thay may have done this straight away to u.

i think they just have to cover themselves, and they may not be looking for cancer at all hunny, just to find out why ur lump is so hard and large.

please re read the above assurances too hunny.

were not all medical ppl but we have had experiences similar to this.

pops ring hun if u want to chat

lots hugs milly xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

diane07
18-07-08, 13:00
Aww popsy,

Milly is right they would have done this straight away if they thought anything sinister, i can totally understand why you are scared, i would be too.

thinking of you hun

Di xx

Trixie
18-07-08, 13:43
Went to the doctor about 2 weeks ago with enlarged gland on side of my neck, he was conviced i had glandular fever but said because the gland was so large i should have a scan on it which he referred me for. He look bloods and my results then came back negative to GF - he then explained unless you have had it for so many days it doesnt show so the tests must be repeated in a weeks time (thats today) as he was still convinced thats what it is, and its what i was convinced i had too because of this.

Meanwhile, yesterday i had appointment to go up to hospital to have a scan on enormous gland on neck, was anxious but not too bad, all went ok until she (the consultant) said that the gland was v v hard and large and that she would have to take a biopsy of it there and then. I was petrified she started branding words about like like 'Lymphoma' (which is luckemia - sporry spelling) and how we must test for it. She then proceeded to put a needle into my neck to take a sample from the gland, i cannot tell you how painful this was!!!!! and it took ages as she complained the gland was so hard, they were pushing and pordding it and then needed a larger needle, it was all horrendous, by the time they'd finished i was in tears and shaking - the procedure took about 10mins.

The results wont be back for 10 days, i am convinced now i have this lymphoma and i am in such shock from yesterday, im very tearful and shakey! I want to just get on with life and just wait the 10 days but its all i can think about, that i might have cancer!!!

I think its also all my fault as i have complained before that i have suffered so much with anxiety/gad/panic that i wished i had a physical condition because surely that must be easier, and guess what ive got one now!!!! :weep:

Sorry to go on, if you've got this far you have the patience of a saint for reading it all. Im so scared and feel i have gone a long way backwards with my GAD and despression since yesterday.

I have to go and have another blood test today, never have i wished so much it comes back positive for GF this time, as consultant said if it does then i dont have to worry about biopsy results, what if it doesnt?????
I know im going to cry again when i see nurse for bloods, im so on the edge, im so fearful.

I dont know how to deal with this.....:scared15: Im soooo shocked!

Popsy x x x x x x:weep:

Do not worry it will only make you feel ill. There is no point in worrying it won't change the outcome which I am sure will be OK.:D

milly jones
18-07-08, 17:07
pops how are u now hunny, pls let us know xxxxxxxxxx

popsy
18-07-08, 17:41
Thanks for all your replies, its so nice to know people care! :hugs:
Went and had another blood test today, told nurse about experience yesterday who inturn told my doctor, received a phone call from him telling me how sorry he was about my experience yesterday and that they should never have said the things they did to me, he was very cross! He said he has been watching my blood count results because of the slight risk of the lymphoma and says it is highly unlikely to be that, but he did say he can only be sure when the biopsy results come back. Feel much more reassured since i have spoken to him, although i cant get it completely out of my mind, apparently it defo isnt a cyst anyway as it would have drained when they injected it. Will let you all know how it goes, and thank you so much again for supportive messages and pm's!
Love you all loads guys, dont know what id do without you.
Big love coming your way (s)! Charlie x x x x x :bighug1:

Alisonj
18-07-08, 18:30
What a terrible ordeal to go through. I am sure everything will be fine but I can understand your worry. Hopefully the next ten days go quickly and you find out that all is well.

erialc
18-07-08, 21:24
Oh Popsy what an ordeal xxxxxxxxxxx

Claire xx

jellybean43
18-07-08, 22:29
Hi
Sorry as this is such a quick reply but i wanted to say i know how you are feeling.
I had exactly the same in my neck -----last October i found it and went to my GP at Xmas.He sent me for an chest/neck X ray and also i had loads of blood tests.
I was terrified and imagined the worst!!It all came back clear(thank goodness) but i can still feel a swelling in my neck above my right clavicle.I have had it checked by 3 docs who say it isnt a gland up!!! and it is very soft however i wasnt convinced for a long time!!I just wanted to reassure you that most things are nothing---I have now had mine for 9 months with no change and the all clear so just trying to accept it is nothing.
I am now slowly having lots of good days and i just want to say you will be fine. If you read some of my old posts you will see I was pretty similar to yourself.
I am thinking about you and i, yet again, want to thank the fabulous ppl on here that helped me in my very darkest days.
Please try not to worry---you are having the tests like i did and i do know how awful the wait can be(think the X ray results took 14 days!!!).I am sure you will be just fine.
Take care xxxxxx