PDA

View Full Version : Blood pressure anxiety

Janvi
18-07-08, 13:21
:weep: Hi,

Is thereanybody who suffers from anxiety when taking blood pressure. My BP somtimes shows 137/87. Plse advice

Cathy V
18-07-08, 13:27
Janvi your blood pressure is great so dont worry. Mine can be as high as 180 over 92 if im stressed or if the doc takes it. He usually has to take it again before i leave the surgery, after weve had a chat and ive calmed down, but my normal reading is usually around 145 over 83 and this is good enough too.

Cathy xxx

helenclaire
18-07-08, 14:28
Hi,

Whenever i have my blood pressure done at the doctors it is always high, so the nurse gave me a monitor to check my own B/P at home, doing it 3 times a day for a few days and low and behold it went right down, so it would appear the anxiety of going to the doctors was making it high which is apparently very common, my blood pressure has been higher than yours so i would not worry, the only thing i found with checking it myself was that i was checking it too often to see if it had changed.

Helen

Southern_Belle
18-07-08, 15:44
Hi Janvi,

I am no doctor but I do not think your numbers are not considered high blood pressure. It also depends if that is your blood pressure day in and day out. I have very low blood pressure, 89/59, was my last reading but that is the norm for me. It is usually somewhere around 90/61. If you are too concerned I would suggest seeing your doctor for a checkup. Just so you know, when my upper number goes under 90 they don't even want me driving so too low isn't good either.

Take care,

Laura

Alisonj
18-07-08, 18:27
Your numbers are still fine. It has to be constantly over 140/90 for atleast 2 or 4 times throughout a year before they even consider it high. Even then diet and exercise is usually the first step. My BP was my biggest worry for a long long time as after I had my children I had severe postpartum hypertension. My BP would be 220/118 and I would be hospitalized. I was on 4 medications for almost a year but am now 2 mnths med free with a normal BP. Yours is fine I promise!!!