PDA

View Full Version : weaning off meds

anxiouschick
18-07-08, 17:08
Hi, been on 20mg for 6 months, and feeling a lot better, so have decided to try and come off them.
Can anyone suggest the best way to wean off them? I don't trust my doctor after last year, when he took me off seroxat really quickly, and I ended up in bits.
IAlso, is is likely i will get side effects, and if so, how long do they last for?

scrumpy78
19-07-08, 09:15
you need to speak to the doc, or another doc if you dont like yours. the reason you are feeling better is becuase of the tablets so you need to think carefully about coming off them as you could end up with your anxiety/depression coming back and then you have to start them all over again. I would not just come off them as you are feeling better, you need to give it more time. you need to wean yourself off them slowly, please dont just stop them as you can suffer terrible side effects if you stop them suddenly. when i came off my i did it over 4 months or so. i took one 20mg every day so i went down to 6 a week for a few weeks, then 5 a week, then 4 a week, ( but spaced out like every other day, not take four then miss three!) I didnt get any side effects coming off them this way, but 8 months later my anxiety has returned with a venegance and i am having to go back on them. I regret coming off them at all, but like you i felt better and thought i didnt need them

andrewc
19-07-08, 18:58
Hi

I think its a bit early to start comming off them. It is usually reccomended to stay on the full dose for 8 months.

The best way to come off them is to very slowly reduce them over a period of 3-4 months after all what is the hurry if youre feeling well.

I take a 10mg tablet and I half it. I take the half tablets every day for 1 month then I reduce again. So a good rule of thumb is to reduce by 5mg per month.

I hope this has been helpful

Best regards

Andy

anxiouschick
20-07-08, 16:49
Thanks for the advice. I have been taking half a tablet for 7 days now. Feeling a bit headachey, slightly anxious and low, but nothing too bad. I was previously on seroxat for 2 years before switching to citalopram, so I really want to start coming off them now. The citalopram tends to make me really drowsy thru the day too, which is another reason to stop them. Will take half for a month I think, and then cut in half again.