PDA

View Full Version : Dizzy Spells of Panic

rusvic
18-07-08, 21:37
I feel anxious quite frequently when I am out, or in a place that I am not in control. I get dizzy and I feel like I am going to faint. At first I thought I had a terminally ill condition, but I realise it is just an anxiety disorder which I am trying to overcome. From reading this site I can understand it better see that I am not alone, and that there is a way out. I hate feeling so discomforted when I go out and I am so paranoid all the time it's the first thing I think about. I am gradually learning to talk myself into ignoring these negatives thoughts. It is tough, it's still not going away, but this site makes me believe that the nightmare will end someday.

marie1974
18-07-08, 22:02
hiya hun im sorry to hear how u r feeling, there are quite alot on here who will be able to help u on this prob, be patient on replys as people come and go at different times and stuff but u will get advice and support. hugs to u

Patty
19-07-08, 11:00
Hi Rusvic,:)

I can really understand how you're feeling. I also have the same feelings of dizziness & thinking that I'm going to faint (though I never have). I think it helps realising that it is anxiety. Though, I also feel the way that you describe - anytime I go out of my comfort zone - I seem to be constantly focusing on the feelings. I am also trying to face the feelings and let them pass. It is not easy - though from what I've read here and in books etc the more that you put yourself in these situations the easier it will get. Hope it helps to know that you're not alone in feeling like this.
All the best xx :bighug1:

lorac
19-07-08, 11:53
Hi Rusvic

I too have suffer from this symptom I too have never actually fainted it is unpleasant but I got to the stage I realised it wasn't going to hurt me so I ventured out more and more and have to say that I have got to the stage now where I just ignore it as best I can and it does seem to make things better. Shops are still the place that I get this one but I refuse to run away like I used to. It isn't easy to overcome as Patty says but the more you practise trying to relax as best you can when it happens the less it will affect you. I wish you well.

Carol

nikkinoo
01-08-08, 23:32
Hi Rusvic,

I too experience dizzy spells whilst out of my comfort zone and also in the home if I tend to dwell on how I feel.

Supermarkets are my worst nightmare and I find I cannot venture to these places on my own just in case I should pass out!

A person suggested that I should wear a rubber band on my wrist and when I started to feel dizzy to "twang" it gently on my wrist to distract myself. I found this worked really well! I now find that I can go out without one now and if the dizzyness comes I focus on my shopping list instead!

I am having therapy for my panic attacks at the moment and I was told that this was the most stubborn symptom, but that it would eventually go in time.

I hope this might help.

Kindest regards Nikki. :-) x

gtrgrl3369
03-08-08, 15:07
This is the one symptom that I had the worst time with. I would get dizzy and feel as though I was going to fall over all the time. It would start as a pressure in my head and then it would hit. I was terrified. I do not like anything that messes with my balance. I know this sounds wierd but I went out and bought Claire Weeks book on nerves and read through it about 30 times and practice what it says and it has gone away. It talks about floating your way through things. I do not let it control me. I have never felt better. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions and I will respond. I know this is a horrible feeling but you can get rid of it.:yesyes:

HeatherMc
03-08-08, 15:17
This is the worst symptom that affects me I hate it and have frightended myself silly over the years, it takes over your life if you let it, I used to think I had either a brain tumour, some sort of weird neurological disease, heart disease, cancer, ms you name it and believe me I can I am a medical secretary so not only do I know most of the diseases I can spell em too lolxxxxx.

I had this yesterday in John Lewis in Liverpool, the place was packed, I have started going into town quite early to avoid all this, but Liverpool seems really crowded these days, I keep telling myself its anxiety and it won't kill me etc but when its in the acute stage it is really really hard

Love Heather
i

Wenjoy
04-08-08, 11:58
Me too - I always shop at 9am when the shopsopen and avoid all queues in shops. I can usually cope unless it is a hot stuffy shop and I feel I cant breathe - very scary - I like being in control - I am a confident happy person who hates not having control over things - Good luck all of you in coping with these horrible feelings.Love wenjoy x

Stressed92
04-08-08, 21:16
Hi Rusvic
I also get this symptom a lot,. It is unpleasant, but nothing bad ever happens. I find that thinking about something else and ignoring that you feel dizzy helps. I know how hard it is, but if you still try to go out even when you feel like this, you will be even more proud of yourself.
Hope this helps
Amy
x