PDA

View Full Version : A positive thought for a change!

mothermac
19-07-08, 06:58
Hi everyone
I wanted to share something with you all that I experienced last week when I attended a family funeral.The gentleman who had died was my uncle who had passed away after a long illness. The church was full and all his friends and family were present gathered together in a beautiful old church festooned with flowers.The occasion was sad but was it really?
I have only been a member of NP for about a month now and suffer from anxiety really badly and have various issues I need to sort out to help me find some inner peace. I have read a lot on here about members fear of death which is a frightening thought to the best of us and often leaves us with a sense of panic at the notion that we will leave our loved ones one day and be no more. I was uplifted during the service after the priest recited a small eulogy regarding our shift off this mortal coil,and here it is!!

He said that we shouldn't fear death as he wanted us to think of it like this,

"you have been to a party,a very good party,
The night has been enjoyable,you have drunk fine wine, ate delicious food
Had a laugh,a cry,and met inspiring and lovely people all unique in their own way
But it is getting late now and you are tired and want to go home,you know the way but feel trepidation at going alone
This fear is normal but deep down we KNOW! the way already and we know that we are safe,there is a light to guide our path and we will reach our destination in good time.
We know there is someone waiting for us when we reach home and the light will guide us in the darkness until we can rest
We are not frightened of going home because who would in all honesty be frightened of going home,as here we can be our true selves and feel that our journey is done.

I cried at this point because I knew the words were deep and true and I had never thought of it like that.God will be waiting for us when we die and all our troubles will be lifted from our troubled minds. Those of you who are not religious or have different beliefs can probably relate to the fact that this gentlemen had had a good life(he died at 88 yrs)he had brought 2 lovely children into the world,was an acomplished craftsman and had had his fair share of troubles along the way,but oh what an inspiring life he had led. I felt a little guilty standing there as I am only 41 and moan a lot about my illness and bring my family worry at times but life is meant to be lived isn't it? It won't be a bed of roses and it would be boring if it was. Imagine if we weren't challenged or tested in any way,our personality would be boring and wooden. Our problems do strengthen us in a way and make us who we are.

I just thought I would share that thought with you all,as the whole day made me think.

Love Mothermac xxxxxxxxxxx:)

sheba2
19-07-08, 11:26
That was a lovely thought Mothermac. For me it is easy to think along those lines as I have a belief in God and the after life. I hope it helps those who don't feel the same way. Also it is easier to accept death after a full life but I think the fear for many is that our life will be cut short or even worse that they will lead a half life because this fear that we suffer stops us from enjoying and participating.

It did me good to read your post cos I need that reminder that life is for living today, right now. I also like to tell myself that each moment is a new one and has the potential to change things for the better. Thank you