PDA

View Full Version : one for women irregular periods

c700
20-07-08, 17:53
I came off the pill last october because i was stressed about what it could do to me! Since then i have had irregular periods since ranging from 48 days to 24 never going to know when it is going to turn up! Been to the docs and she has done preg tests and blood tests and said not to worry.
But that doesnt help. I have also had a pain in my stomach for the past month which i think is IBS but could the pain be related to the irregular periods?
Its driving me mad and getting me really stressed! Any ideas what it could be dont want to bother my doc again?

nanny
20-07-08, 18:06
Hi There

If you do have IBS that can be painful as my sister suffers with that.
As for your doctor telling you not to woryy about periods she should also be looking into it for you. It could just be a case of coming off the pill and getting back to "normal" but October is a long time ago and she should find out whats What to put your mind at rest and to also sort it out.

Plase don't say "i don't want to bother the doctor again" they are there to help us so do go back and have a chat...........

Sorry i can't be of more help

precious78
21-07-08, 09:33
I'd go back. And that's not because I think there's somthing wrong. Just because it is bothering you.

I personally came off the pill after 10 years about a month ago and dead on 21 days my period came back. I hadn't had a period for 6 months on the previous pill. So while it was an annoyance to have to deal with them again, it was reassuring to know that they were still there so I can understand you might be anxious about them.

Personally my periods haven't been affected when I've been stressed but I know a lot of women's are.

I think you should ask your GP again just for the reassurance, or go to a different one if there is a nother at the practice.

I have a pain I get in my right side every time I get my period. The Dr referred me to a gynacologist just to be on the safe side and they did some swabs and stuff to make sure everything was ok. Have you had any tests?

c700
21-07-08, 12:04
Been to the doctors about it and she said it could take up to a year for them to regulate and to see how i get on. She also said it is perfectly normal to be irregular between 24-35 days. The doc suggested going back on the pill to stop me worrying.
Havent had tests apart from urine and blood but will be having a smear in aug so will ask then.
There doesnt seem to be much about irregular periods on the internet.

precious78
21-07-08, 12:29
I think your smear will put your mind straight. otherwise you need to try and not think about it (which is hard I know) because if you're worrying that may add to the irregularity.

I don't see that going back on the pill would stop you worrying that something was wrong though. You would just start worrying again about the side effects and would be back at square one.

nomorepanic
21-07-08, 12:32
I have just been to the docs this morning as I have terrible pain in the groin area and irregular periods.

She gave me an internal examination, took some swabs and is ordering a scan of my womb and ovaries.

This could be because of my age though - I am 42 - how old are you?

c700
21-07-08, 14:32
im twenty nine periods were never totally regular before i went on the pill though.

precious78
22-07-08, 08:47
How long have they been irregular? Because I would guess if it has been years then you're not in danger of a serious illness. I would have imagined you would have had other symptoms by now.

c700
22-07-08, 11:25
I have been on the pill for about 8 years. They were quite irregular before always around 30 days. Prob just have to get used to it or go back on the pill. The doc said give it sixth months. Hoping the pain in my side is just ibs and stress - i do think about it all the time!!!

JennyW
24-07-08, 09:16
sounds like something similar happening to me.

I'm 41 and last year I had the mirena coil fitted. Now prior to this my periods were bang on 27/28 days - you could set your watch by them. Anyway after 7 months I had the mirena removed - this was January 08. Since then my periods have been hit and miss which is really frustrating considering how regular I was.

I visited the doctor about 3 months ago and he also said that it takes time for the body to readjust :shrug: I can only assume there are still hormones present. But like you, some months I get sore breasts and think I'm going to get my period, but then nothing happens. I hate it. My doctor said they could run blood tests to see if I'm peri-menopausal if I continue to worry but suggested I wait a few more months yet.

Thing is, it's so coincidental that my periods messed up after this blooming mirena. Wish I'd never had it put it :doh:

mary8
24-07-08, 11:41
I am 51 and suffer irregular bleeding. It all started about 5 years ago when I came off the Mini Pill, after a few months I started to get a show a few days before my period would acutally start, then I was getting shows half way through my cycle. To cut a long storty short I was referred to a Gyno who took biopsies of cervix and lining of womb, both came back clear. He suggested I have a Mirena Coil fitted which I did for about 3 years, had that removed 2 years ago but still get irregular bleeding. This month I came on about 14 days after last period which lasted about 6 days then stopped for 1 day then came back again pink, but only when I wiped, this has lasted for 6 further days. Don't get heavy periods, think maybe it's the start of the menopause. Anyone else have these symptoms?

scooby28
24-07-08, 16:27
Have you thought about trying another pill as there ar emany different sorts and you may just need to find the one that suits you.
I was on ovrananette for about 5 years and this suited me but i tried a mini pill once for nearly 3 months and i was terrible on this one.
I would rather be on the pill as my periods when i wasn't on it were anywhere from 4 weeks to 8 weeks after my last one started and i didn't know wheteher i was coming or going with them and now i know when i will be getting them it's alot better for me as i used to get stressed when i had them late before even when i thought i wouldn't be pregnant.
Eithere way you seem to be stressed on it and stressed off it, i'm sure the pill isn't doing anything to you and if it was thought to harm people they would know way let the amount of women who use it carry on using it. It has been around for along time too now so you would think they would know by know if it was affecting people in a bad way.

HereIam
24-07-08, 19:49
Hey I was on the pill and when I was I could of told you the time and date of my next period, however I decided to come off because every now and then I'd forget to take it so it became quite pointless and since then my periods are all over the place. I waited 3 months for one not long back! I went to the docs and she told me they tend not to worry until about 6 months. Although people say its around 28 days for a cycle everyone is totally different. I could be 28 days one month then wait over 50 for the next its just how some of us work. I also find I get all sorts of symptoms before a period like seriously painful tummy... yet I could start like 2 weeks later and have all other different symptoms as I get closer. I wouldnt worry about it I don't think there is a "normal" cycle anymore as long as you have a period that isnt like 6 months apart everytime I imagine you are fine.