PDA

View Full Version : You have the power

Roscoe
28-04-05, 21:30
I'm still struggling with this one, as I find it hard to concentrate while having anxiety issues. But maybe it works better for other people on this forum. Whenever you feel an anxiety attack coming on, try the following:

Picture yourself in a room. Inside this room, you're doing whatever you're doing (or trying to do) in reality at that moment. A few yards in front of you (or further away if you don't like confined spaces), there is a wall with a door. The door is completely transparent. Behind it, you see a small room with inside it the ugliest monster you can imagine. This monster is your fear. It's hideous. It shows its teeth and roars at you. But it cannot get in. The transparent door cannot be destroyed, and there is only one key: you have it in your pocket. Now there are different ways to deal with this:

1. Ignore it. Do whatever you're trying to do, knowing that this monster cannot get at you. You're in control here.

2. Ridicule it. Dangle the key in front of it. Show it that you call the shots. You have the power here, and there's nothing it can do. Imagine it getting angrier and angrier as you laugh at it.

3. Get angry with it. Even use verbal abuse if you like. This is a great one to combine with the ridiculing thing. "You are nothing! This is my life, and you are not getting in, you SOB!"

4. Let it in and overcome it. Mentally open the door. Watch it as it charges for you. But you're faster and stronger. Kick the heck out of it. Shout out stuff, one word at a time with each punch you land. "YOU... ARE.... NOTHING!" With that final blow, send it flying back into its little room, wounded and battered. Close the door again but do it calmly. Even if it gets out again, you can kick it back in. No need to rush, because there's nothing to fear.

As the evening sky faded from a salmon color to a sort of flint gray, I thought back to the salmon I caught that morning, and how gray he was, and how I named him Flint. - Jack Handy

seh1980
28-04-05, 21:39
I have tried that before and it does work. The more you do it, the better you get at it..:D

Roscoe
28-04-05, 21:43
Good to hear that seh1980. I'm only beginning to work with relaxation techniques, and they still only have a limited effect. It's good to know things will improve if I stick with it.

As the evening sky faded from a salmon color to a sort of flint gray, I thought back to the salmon I caught that morning, and how gray he was, and how I named him Flint. - Jack Handy

florence
29-04-05, 10:43
Hi Jack

Thats very interesting indeed, I should give it a go, I wouldnt mind trying option No 2 :D.

I see that you're in Belgium, parlez vous francais?

Regards.
Florence.

**A friend is one of the nicest things you can have, and one of the best things you can be.**

florence
29-04-05, 10:50
Hi

Sorry I called you Jack [:I] , had a look in your profile.
Nice to meet you Bart.

Florence.

**A friend is one of the nicest things you can have, and one of the best things you can be.**

Roscoe
29-04-05, 10:52
Hi Florence (who's Jack, BTW? ;) )

My mothertongue is Dutch, but I guess my French is not too shabby. At least, when I speak it, writing it is a different matter. ;)

florence
29-04-05, 10:55
Hehe ok... I just saw the quote at the bottom of your post , and the name "Jack Handy" , and thought it was your name , [Duh!].

Sorry for being clumsy lol.

Au revoir :)

Florence.

Roscoe
29-04-05, 11:01
No problem. Jack Handy has some great one-liners. Maybe I'll put a selection of them in the Fun forum. :D

florence
29-04-05, 11:05
That would be nice indeed :)

Florence.

Roscoe
29-04-05, 11:22
Done. :D

florence
29-04-05, 11:35
O.K :D

Florence.

pips
29-04-05, 12:38
Thanks for that I will give it a go! Watch out Monster LOL!

Take care

Love PIP'S X

sal
30-04-05, 00:04
Go Pips

Will help how you are feeling and i do think it works so thanks Roscoe.

You aint going to let it beat you are you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Roscoe
30-04-05, 17:00
I simply can't let it beat me. I know I'm stronger than that monster, and being only 28 years old, letting it run my life is not an option.

Pips, let us know if it works out for you. I'll keep at it as well.

florence
01-05-05, 23:39
Hi

I am 28 years old too, and you're right ! Enough wasted time, huh.
Let us know how you get on.

Take care.
Florence.

**To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom.**