PDA

View Full Version : Back Pain - Posture or more????

petmad
21-07-08, 18:58
HI all

Not sure if anyone can help me, I have had back pain on and off with pains that come round my chest as well. Thing is I spend a lot of time on the computer and know I do not sit great as hunch over sometimes. But this pain in my back is niggling me and I am getting more paranoid its something worse in my spine.
Its between my shoulder blades in the middle, which I guess is where I would pull leaning over on the computer, but my mind keeps going back to the worse scenario and it worries me.
Does anyone else have back pain like this? I went docs ages ago and because they hit a tender spot in my back she said it was a strain or something, it does feel tender when pressed.
Can anyone help and put my mind at rest??

thanks x

mandie
21-07-08, 23:42
Hi Petmad

I suffered with this so much last year, i was so scared.

The doctor told me it was anxiety and the pain was because i was so tense.

I no i posted a few times about it.

When my anxiety got better the pain went away.

I still get it now if im anxious but its not as bad

love mandie x

precious78
22-07-08, 09:47
Yep I get this. I suffer a lot with my back. I sit at a computer all day and my posture isn't good. I get a pain just to the right of my left shoulder blade. This can cause pain to come through tot he front of your chest so don't worry as this is what it will be. Some days it is agony for me. And also it can cause pain to go down your arm and tingling in your hands etc.

ksmith
22-07-08, 17:55
Had the same. Went to doc's and got sent for Chest X ray. My worst fear. Anyway everything was OK and so doc put it down to bad posture and ill fitting bra!!!

Kay

Horse
23-07-08, 12:16
Thought you may like to hear my story to put your mind at rest.
About a month ago I had this. Sharp pain in the left shoulder blade. Worse when breathing in and virtually impossible to take deep breathes. Would move round to the left side of the chest area as well. Impossible to cough without severe pain. This lasted for about 2 or 3 days and was getting worse and to the point where it was getting difficult to breath without discomfort.

I decided to visit A and E. After driving myself there at 10.00pm (why are all the lights red when you're in a hurry) I was greeted with a waiting room full of people........including most of their family that had come with them as though it was an evening out!

After registering at reception, a process which is fairly quick, owing to my frequent visits as an anxiety sufferer (anymore and I qualify for a season ticket), I waited for about 10 minutes before being called, jumping the queue, and led immediately to the Resuscitation unit. I must admit, although pleased at the queue jump, the sign of Resuscitation on the door worried me slightly!

I was 'wired up' with the usual ECG jump leads etc., and lay there wondering if I would see home again...........a familiar anxiety sufferers symptom! Finally, I was informed that they would like to monitor my heart because it was beating too fast. More tension and anxiety followed. I was then lead to a ward in order to undergo the following. More wiring up, only this time for about an hour in order to monitor. Two blood tests, one from the arm, another from the groin in order to check for clotting in the lung and oxygen levels etc. Also chest xray. I was administered pain killers and an anti-inflammatory.

The end result? Nothing! All the tests were negative. The increase in heart beat was a result of anxiety at having to go to hospital or at very least the resus unit. And the pain was due to nothing more than muscle tension or trapped nerves due to muscle tension etc. My biggest problem was leaving the hospital about 1.00am and having to pay £10 to get out the car park.

This is just a prime example of how Anxiety can multiply and cause or mimick symptoms which can lead us to believe that we are seriously ill. Upon this note, I would like to add that the staff at the hospital were first class. God bless them.

petmad
25-07-08, 15:45
Hi all
Thanks for your kind support, its such a worry, and I feel such a plonker at times, I don't mention it to my husband as he thinks I am mad! I went to the docs today, thought right start of school hols I need to know if I am ok or not. I waited ages to then find out the doc had been called to an emergency! So I saw another doc. He wasn't very interested or sympathetic, he checked my back and listened to my chest. I said I was worried in case something wrong, didn't like to say a lump or something which is whats worrying me! He said it wasn't anything and just take ibruprofen for a fortnight. I am sure its just muscle and a busy life doesn't let it rest. But why do I always fear the worst, most people would think, oh just muscle strain but I think, god is it cancer!! I so wish I didn't.
The pain is just to the right of my shoulder blade and stabs at times but it feels like there is something there, but I guess its just the muscle being tight which makes it feel that way.
Why am I such a worrier???
enjoy the sunshine x