PDA

View Full Version : question

bab
21-07-08, 19:04
does anyone think that we are given meds when all we needed was therapy or do you think we do need them and we are given them for a reason

milly jones
21-07-08, 19:13
i believe that meds allow u enough space for the therapy that goes alongside them to be allowed to work.

once positive behaviours are established, then meds can be withdrawn slowly, allowing the modified behaviours to continue, and thus control the anxiety.

different ppl have different views.

i was so ill with depression 3 years ago that without meds i would have ended up even more of a mess, and in hospital.

meds and therapy have allowed me to lead a more normal life, though ive still some way to go

milly xxx

samc100
21-07-08, 19:28
I agree with Milly. I needed meds - therapy wasn't able to give my brain and body a break from being in anxious mode. The meds gave me space and then I could use therapy better to repair myself and develop new coping strategies.

No way was I ever going to use meds..... I refused point blank when the Dr suggested them but I was in such a mess I eventually thought I have nothing left to lose. I am grateful they gave me the chance to get my life back on track.

blackie
22-07-08, 10:38
Hi

I think that in some cases meds are used just because they are easier and cheeper then organizing any other help. I know so many peaople who have just been prescribed an anti depressent and thats it. Left on there own with the occasional review. On the other hand like Sam and Milly said, they can take of some of the negitive problems and allow them room to get better.
For me, meds have never worked. I have been only about 10 different types in the last five years alone. Exercise helps but of course, when you are depressed and lack motervation, doing anything is a challange. Everyone is different and so need different treatments. Its abit like giving up smoking. There are hundruds of different ways to do it and loads of different types of medications in different forms and you have to find the one that suits you. Sadly though, there doesn't seem to be as much choice for mental health treatment