PDA

View Full Version : Dr Claire Weekes

Veronica H
22-07-08, 16:57
Hi Everyone
I have been a member for a few weeks now and am in the early stages of learning to cope with panic and anxiety. I am reading Dr Claire Weekes book
'Self-Help for your nerves' published by Thorsons ISBN No 978-0-7225-3155-6. It is a quick easy read and really explains what is happening to us and why. As I am on the waiting list for CBT. I wanted to know how to help myself in the mean time. I cannot recommend this enough.

Veronica H

tHamera
22-07-08, 17:10
i've recently read this book and it did help a lot. i often pick it up and re read some of the chapters that made an impact on me.

lorac
22-07-08, 17:51
Hi Veronica

In my experience reading Claire Weeks books is a really good place to start. Nothing really helped me with my anxiety and panic until I got her books and joined this site, now I can honestly say I am doing all the things I thought I wouldn't be able to do any more. Keep practising what she tells you and the more you practise the more confidence you will get it takes some time for it all to start working but to me her books were my life saver.

Good luck.

Carol

Moo
22-07-08, 20:15
Hi

I must admit this has been sat on my bookshelf for about 18 months and last week I had been having such a bad time I sat and read it cover to cover in a few hours.

Put it this way - I have been happily facing, accepting and floating ever since!

It is good, as is 'Understanding panic attacks and overcoming fear' by Dr Roger Baker and 'Coping Successfully with Panic attacks' and 'Coping with anxety and Depression' , both by Shirley Trickett.

Maybe we should start a NMP book club!

Love Moo x:D

doodah
22-07-08, 22:38
Dr Claire Weekes was a wonderful doctor I reckon! There is a link on the site somewhere, where you can download some of her mp3s. I can't remember where I saw it though :(

doodah
22-07-08, 22:47
I found the link where you can download free mp3s of Dr Weekes - I've got them and it's great to hear her speaking - very inspirational.

http://www.controllinganxiety.com/dsp_downloads.php

polly123
23-07-08, 07:55
Hi Doodah,
Thanks so much for the link, ive had claire weekes books for months the best money ive ever spent, they really helped me, but now im going to give the mp3s a try.
POLLY

doodah
23-07-08, 10:04
You're very welcome polly :) I first heard Dr Weekes in the 1980s:blush: on a vinyl LB! I remember bursting into tears when I'd listened to her as she must've been the first person who seemed to make any sense at all out of anxiety etc. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised!!

Wendy xx

MyNameIsntRich
24-07-08, 02:54
Oh my, I listened to all files... What a helpfull link right there this should be a sticky that all people should take the time to listen to and relax with.... I saved it as soon as i was 2 mins into the first file.... Its free people it can help give it a shot im going to be buying her book tonight on amazon.

Nechtan
24-07-08, 21:26
I've just ordered the book Veronica mentioned so it should be with me sometime in the next week- thanks for the recommendation. It has good comments on Amazon too.

Thanks also to doodah for the mp3 links. I've downloaded them but will have to wait till the kids have finally decided to shut their eyes for the night- which doesn't look any time soon at the moment. They will be a good listen judging by the reaction.

nomorepanic
24-07-08, 21:52
I am also selling her books on the NMP shop - www.nomorepanic.co.uk/shop (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/shop)

Just so you know as I can save you postage compared to Amazon for eg.

doodah
24-07-08, 23:12
Aww - I'm really pleased you've found the mp3 link useful. I find her voice and attitude so reassuring. All the best to you all :)

Wendy xx

never2late
25-07-08, 22:42
I am also selling her books on the NMP shop - www.nomorepanic.co.uk/shop (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/shop)

I just placed my first order in the shop and I want to say how easy it was. I ordered the "Essential Help for Your Nerves" book by Dr. Weekes.

Of course, I could have ordered anywhere . . . but I wanted to give the NMP shop the business. NMP has helped me a lot more than Amazon.com has, believe me!

Even though I'm in the States, ordering was simple and quick.

And how wonderful will it be to see a package arrive from England! I'll be the envy of the neighborhood! :yesyes:

orangeblossom
25-07-08, 23:59
I've got the book on my reading list! Has anyone here read Jerilyn Ross's book Triumph Over Fear? It was the first one I read when my panic attacks started and it made the world of difference to me. I refused to go out without it for a while and kept it handy in my bag so I could dip into it when I was beginning to panic(!) Well, it worked for me!

MyNameIsntRich
04-08-08, 04:15
Listen to the mp3 link people it is well worth the time. The one with Jim’s story is worth its length in gold.... he offers some relaxation that helps a bit as well and is seemingly knowledgeable about the illness. I have listened to it sever times in the past couple weeks durring anxiety and it always calms me quite a bit.

valley
04-08-08, 04:39
I agree - I just ordered the book from NMP as well. I live in the US and I've found it a lot harder to find Claire Weekes books here. I would much rather give NMP the business.
I did read the Claire Weekes book Hope and Help for your Nerves (that is the US version of Self Help for your Nerves I believe) and it was so helpful. It was like she was talking right to me - anytime I feel the anxiety coming on I pick up her book. It helps tremedously.

never2late
04-08-08, 12:41
The book I ordered from NMP arrived on Friday. Considering the distance, that was quick!

How exciting it still is, in this day of instant internet communication, to receive a package sent from half-way around the world. Being somewhat introspective (to say the least), I held it momentarily to wonder about its journey . . . and how just hours ago it was still in England.

When I answered the knock on the door, I puffed up my chest and said to the postman: "Yes sir, I do believe that is my package from the British Isles".

What about the book, you ask? (or am I now hearing voices?) :-)

The book is really packed with advice from Dr. Weekes, and also includes her Journals that she sent around the world to her distant patients (today they would be called newsletters). It is two books in one actually (two parts) . . . the second half is her "Peace from Nervous Suffering" book. It is really worth the money. The overall style would be best described as a "collection" of advice, rather than the linear style of advice given in Self Help/Hope and Help. Let's say it is a wonderful companion, and certainly stands on its own, as well.

Dr. Weekes was asked to give the most important SINGLE word to describe her method, and I was surprised to read what that word was. I thought it would be "acceptance". It wasn't!

Should I tell? I think not! :winks:

Nechtan
04-08-08, 13:42
I got my book from Amazon but now that I know I will make any further purchases from here as I would like to support the site when I can. I bought "Self Help for your nerves" and have only just realised I should have bought the other one.

I'm enjoying reading the book but will have to reread it a few times. The thing I am finding hardest to grasp is floating. I keep reading it but can't seem to put that into practice. It all sounds full of promise. Dr Weekes says in the first couple of pages you will be cured if you put it into practice and the story the bed ridden man walking up the ward by using the floating technique sounds promising.

gtrgrl3369
04-08-08, 14:01
I too have her book about help for your nerves. I have read it about 20 times before it really sank in. I use the technique of floating and I am feeling so much better. My dizziness and balnce issues are almost gone now. It took awhile for me to grasp the concept but I swear by it. I wish I would have had this earlier it would have saved me alot of upsets. But hindsight is 20/20. I will go to the link and listen to hear voice to match it to my reading. I am grateful for this book. I hope it helps others as it did me.:yesyes:

titchjd
04-08-08, 14:10
Hiya all The claire weekes books are very good I have 3 Im just reading the updated version Essential Help for your nerves ....I also have Claire Weekes Agoraphobia 1 and will be reading that aswell as I find them very helpfull ...You can get them all off amazon ..but also there is a link that you can go on that means this site will get a percentage of what you buy off amazon I will find out what it is and post xxx

Titch xxxx

titchjd
04-08-08, 14:19
http://astore.amazon.co.uk/nicsmismatcofuse.

This is the link 2 get certain books that will also give NMP some commission
Titch x

burberrygirl72
04-08-08, 19:54
absulutly brill book helped me sooooooo much

HeatherMc
04-08-08, 20:36
I have to say that Claire Weekes is the grand master when it comes to dealing with anxiety etc, I have read loads through my work and personal experiences with this bout of the horrors I bought loads of books and cds some were ok some I just didn't get but I returned to Dr Claire and things started making sense. Its like having a friend who is talking basic common sense to you no fancy jargon or completed exercises shes great