PDA

View Full Version : My appointment with breast consultant yesterday

JennyW
23-07-08, 11:29
Just thought I would let you know how yesterday went.

I explained that I was querying a lump and not sure if it was one of the original ones and then I started to doubt myself, hence the visit. He read my notes from January and examined me whilst comparing them, ie locations of cysts and fibros. He said he could feel the one I was concerned about, although it wasn’t in the exact location as the report but he said they do move around when they are scanned. I asked if I should be scanned again and he said that no, he was more than happy with what he could feel and there was nothing of concern. I then went on to explain that it’s very difficult for me to identify the lumps and I could end up seeing him every 3 months. He explained that he had a small number of clients similar to me who have regular checks, ie every year so he is going to include me in this group. He wants to see me again in 6 months and I think he will U/S me again in January. He also explained that as I had clear U/S and mammograms in January, it would be extremely rare for me to develop anything within a year. He said these regular checks should continue at least until “things” settle down. I’m 41 – he said changes are happening.

Would you guys be happy with this? It’s just that his hands don’t have eyes and I’m taking his word for it that things are ok from his examination alone? I read about women have their lumps removed or aspirated and this hasn’t happened to me. I think the largest cyst I have is 1.2cm, from memory the others are 0.7, 0.8 etc. My husband said I should trust what he says and that he feels breasts all the time and knows what he’s looking for me. But the doubtful part of me wonders if perhaps on me he might be wrong. I’m sure it’s fine but you get so worked up, it can be hard to believe that all is well.

joyce1980
23-07-08, 13:26
Hello there.

I think he sounds like he know's what he doing, cancer lumps feel a certain way and they can tell if it's something to worry about.

Good to hear you will get regular check ups though.

Also cancer takes quite a few years to develope, my mum get polyps in her bowel that are cancerous and she has them removed every THREE years and they are removed in plenty of time.

Just think, your Dr does not ever want to get sued so if their was any doubt in his mind you would be the next in line for a scan and biopsy.

hugs for you

kellie
23-07-08, 13:44
Plz try not to worry hun im sure he knows what he is talking about.
When you suffer with health anx its part of the anx to question everything and have doubt about what you are told other wise you wouldnt have the anx about your health.
I know it aint easy hun but they realy do know what they are talking about
you have had scans and tests and they have been fine so try to belive in them ( i know its not easy to do)
Also at the age of 41 you could also be starting the process of the change and as the hormone starts to change we will get all sorts of lumps and bumps in the breast area the same as we did when or periods first started.

kellie.xxxxxxxx

janeybaby25
23-07-08, 14:18
I sure everything is ok, he knows what to look out for & if they was any doubt then he would refer you straught away. I found a lump last yr & he said he didn't know what it was & I was seen at the hosp a week later, it was all so quick. I was scared as he said he didn't know what it was & then the apot came through so quick, I was thinking the worse but mine turned out to be tissue from my operation (I have an ICD which is fitted just above my left breast) so it was a relief when they said that. Like the others have said, if was anything sinister then they don't mess about, they get you seen & checked asap. Know its hard, but try not to read into something that isn't there. More than welcome to PM if you need a chat. xxxx